Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 15-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal View Post
Upgrade your decoder and it costs £415 all AMB/Mylaps PT's & digital handouts (ambrc) work.
Wait till April it will cost £1,200 to upgrade.

Don't do anything and your old decoder goes kaput - £2,400 to replace.

Makes sense to upgrade now.

Maybe, maybe not, might all be smoke and mirrors. Who's to say their plans wont change if they dont meet their target sales?
Old 15-02-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal View Post
Upgrade your decoder and it costs £415 all AMB/Mylaps PT's & digital handouts (ambrc) work.
Wait till April it will cost £1,200 to upgrade.

Don't do anything and your old decoder goes kaput - £2,400 to replace.

Makes sense to upgrade now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiv View Post
Maybe, maybe not, might all be smoke and mirrors. Who's to say their plans wont change if they dont meet their target sales?
Yup!
And who's to say how long their original handouts and older PTs will be supported by their software and it won't be long until only the new 3-wire PTs will viable?
Old 15-02-2013

Default This is funny

I think this thread is funny. I'm convinced some people must think any business which operates within the hobby sector must be a charity? Well sorry guys, they aren't.

Mylaps are a business and any business which values it future must have a keen strategy for growth, profit generation, differentiation and innovation. Look at your own employers and the businesses you work within. Just because Mylaps service a hobby market doesn't change any of this. Mylaps are demonstrating they are following this model by innovating a new product. That product differentiates them from the competition which in turn gives them growth and presumably, profit.

MRT are also a business and must have the same strategy but looking at the evidence, anecdotal though it is at the moment, they are failing in the area of innovation. This, as I see it, is because they don't innovate or they'd have there own complete timing system. Instead they've understood the market leading technology and produce a lower cost alternative, or in other words a counterfeit product.

An interesting thought I just had is how similar this situation is, or was, to the natural world, like I said, its just a thought.

"A parasite lives in a close relationship with another organism, its host, and causes it harm. The parasite is dependent on its host for its life. For example, viruses are common parasites. The parasite needs its host to live, grow, and multiply. Parasites rarely kill their hosts, but most hosts will try to remove the parasite"

MRT make a great product, I'm not knocking them, I'm sure they'll do as they have before, understand the tech, produce an alternative and in a relatively short period of time we'll be back as we were a few months ago but do keep in mind, Buy cheap, buy twice!

Old 15-02-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy110m View Post
I think this thread is funny. I'm convinced some people must think any business which operates within the hobby sector must be a charity? Well sorry guys, they aren't.

Mylaps are a business and any business which values it future must have a keen strategy for growth, profit generation, differentiation and innovation. Look at your own employers and the businesses you work within. Just because Mylaps service a hobby market doesn't change any of this. Mylaps are demonstrating they are following this model by innovating a new product. That product differentiates them from the competition which in turn gives them growth and presumably, profit.

MRT are also a business and must have the same strategy but looking at the evidence, anecdotal though it is at the moment, they are failing in the area of innovation. This, as I see it, is because they don't innovate or they'd have there own complete timing system. Instead they've understood the market leading technology and produce a lower cost alternative, or in other words a product.

An interesting thought I just had is how similar this situation is, or was, to the natural world, like I said, its just a thought.

"A parasite lives in a close relationship with another organism, its host, and causes it harm. The parasite is dependent on its host for its life. For example, viruses are common parasites. The parasite needs its host to live, grow, and multiply. Parasites rarely kill their hosts, but most hosts will try to remove the parasite"

MRT make a great product, I'm not knocking them, I'm sure they'll do as they have before, understand the tech, produce an alternative and in a relatively short period of time we'll be back as we were a few months ago but do keep in mind, Buy cheap, buy twice!

so your not knocking them but your calling it counterfeit or "because they don't innovate"

oddly i bought dear with an amb and got absolutly shafted by them when the wire broke "buy a new one"
so i bought cheap, never had a problem have several with the same number and can mak the wire any length i wish with the inovation of user friendly changable wire.....
Old 15-02-2013

Quote:

MRT are also a business and must have the same strategy but looking at the evidence, anecdotal though it is at the moment, they are failing in the area of innovation. This, as I see it, is because they don't innovate or they'd have there own complete timing system. Instead they've understood the market leading technology and produce a lower cost alternative, or in other words a counterfeit product.

NICE! I wish I was as intelligent as you as I wanted to say this 463 posts ago!!

Just one thing for those who think the clubs who have upgraded are wrong- go and try it for yourselves. ANYONE who runs a club only thinks of its loyal racers, without whom they would not survive. These changes are not by choice, this sport we all seem to claim we love so much needs to continue and sometimes sacrifices need to be made!

I can honestly say that nobody at our club has complained about this situation ONCE (26 exchanges and counting), all are from different financial back grounds and completely understand the decision the committee has made, I honestly don't understand why so many on here don't. However, I do understand how some have jumped on the band wagon of supporting the non-upgrade and I pray that everyone is able to carry on functioning and running good meetings.

Please understand that this is just MY opinion, I just wanted to share as so many have in this slightly crazy, bizarre, but interesting thread, although I am prepared to be shot down for it and wont lose much sleep.
Old 15-02-2013

I still say, that whilst RC3 is supported, there is no need to upgrade, but due to them cancelling RC3 support so you are cornered into possible RC4 upgrade, it forces at some point, to replace technology that doesn't need replacing. Currently, not knowing anyone locally who has a Purcy but lots that have an MRT, it is an upgrade that would incur costs to the club (in the upgrade) and drivers in a replacement PT.

I don't believe in conspiracy theories etc etc, but this is purely a financial decision by BBK rather than MyLaps.
Old 15-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
I still say, that whilst RC3 is supported, there is no need to upgrade, but due to them cancelling RC3 support so you are cornered into possible RC4 upgrade, it forces at some point, to replace technology that doesn't need replacing. Currently, not knowing anyone locally who has a Purcy but lots that have an MRT, it is an upgrade that would incur costs to the club (in the upgrade) and drivers in a replacement PT.
Couldnt agree more that every clubs circumstances are different, lets hope we all pass through this as smoothly as possible!

Last edited by Col; 16-02-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 15-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

So how are you members benefiting at present from the upgrade? Because for any Harry or older AMB user it amounts to no discernible gain - the only ones who get anything they didn't have on RC3 are the Purcy owners and right now there won't be many of them.

There are two linked but different issues here - MRT support is one (can't blame Mylaps there, though it is annoying), paying at least £400 but soon over a grand for the ability to clock Purcy's is another.

Forcing a pricy upgrade on clubs was never on, whether or not it supports MRT. My club could afford the upgrade, but we'd rather spend the money on other things just as useful (toilets, car parking). Plenty of clubs can't afford it full stop - especially smaller ones.

No point embracing the future if the result is the club folds in the present......

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 15-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
No point embracing the future if the result is the club folds in the present......
I agree and anyone who knows me knows I support ANY club big or small, thats how we get to feed our addiction! I'm not interested in getting dragged in to this or arguing with you, I just wanted to share the experience of our club and hope to assist others in making their decision not making it for them as EVERY club is different. I thought I was very clear on this and that I'm not criticising anyone for their decision, just ours was made with a 3 year plan cause we've not got a permanent venue. To get our fantastic venue at the price we do requires a complex business plan for growth and we felt we needed to change to progress. We live on such a tight budget (like most clubs) we simply couldn't afford to upgrade at FULL price if we incurred problems and running sometimes 2 or 3 times a week means we can't run without reliable, supported gear to fulfil our goals!
Old 15-02-2013
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post

I don't believe in conspiracy theories etc etc, but this is purely a financial decision by BBK rather than MyLaps.
I'm not sure I follow how this situation is of BBK's creation rather than Mylaps. BBK only sell what Mylaps make - unless I'm missing something.
Old 15-02-2013

Mark, I'm glad you agree with my point. They innovated a cloned number and a clever design to allow the user to replace the wire and that created a differeniation which convinced you to purchase their unit so full marks to MRT for that.

I am surprised you didn't understand my initial point, Mylaps are a business, not a charity. They sold you a working product with no faults, you broke the wire and you expected what? Them to say, we're sorry you broke our product, please have a new one for free? If I bought a brand new car and wrote it off after a week would the maunfacture sell me another new one but this time at half price? Come on Mark, this is the serious business of business.

Believe me I'm not knocking MRT at all, I'm posting an observation, it doesn't bother me either way.

Please keep this in mind when I question how you think the product they produce can be anything other than a counterfeit? A very good counterfeit with some very good USP but its a unauthorised product (by unauthorised I mean designed without the permission of the manufacture who's product its designed to work with) designed to do the job of an authorised unit in the same situation, so its a counterfeit.

I'm not saying thats a bad thing, in this circumstance I believe its not, infact its probably been a good thing to keep the Mylaps pricing in check somewhat, but sadly it looks like that product has had its day, so as I said, you bought cheap, if clubs take the only sensible option, you'll more likely as not have to buy again.
Old 15-02-2013

Our club upgraded simply due to the fact that the system we had was 15 year old. It never let us down though but the deal we were given for upgrading and trading in the old was was too good to miss.

We had 20 handout PTs and traded in 10 for purcy PTs so we've still got 10. A few people traded in their MRTs and were happy instead of paying full price especially knowing that their laps won't get missed no matter where they race.

It's not a big deal, it's simple if you run RC3 keep it and if it's vintage like ours change whilst the trade in offer is on.
Old 15-02-2013

I would of thought that bbk would handle decoder repairs, if so, then surely rc3 could be carried on being supported rather than nothing at all.
Old 15-02-2013
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

I don't believe they have ever done repairs.
Old 15-02-2013
Banned

Quote:
Please keep this in mind when I question how you think the product they produce can be anything other than a counterfeit? A very good counterfeit with some very good USP but its a unauthorised product (by unauthorised I mean designed without the permission of the manufacture who's product its designed to work with) designed to do the job of an authorised unit in the same situation, so its a counterfeit.
Somehow I don't think anyone's logic would be the same if they were pecking away £5000 laptops..... which is exactly what would have happened had not the computer industry allowed competition......... instead of the £500 counterfeits we're all using.
Old 15-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

MRT transponders aren't 'counterfeit' or 'copies' - they are simply devices that transmit a radio signal with specific properties. Mylaps can't patent that though they are the only ones can generate new codes (ie a new set of specific properties) and be sure the system will recognise them. So the code generating system is patented, but the transmission isn't.
Since MRT are quite clear about where their codes come from (old AMB units), and the circuits they use are nothing like the one in an AMB/Mylaps unit no laws have been broken, no theft occurred. Suggesting otherwise is in fact rather libelous. Do you really think AMB/Mylaps would have let them keep going this long if they had?

Though I rather like the idea of a Chinese firm making a true rip-off. There is a lot of money to be made, and it would serve Mylaps right for price gouging. Please notice that Chinese esc market hasn't killed US or European esc companies but it has dramatically reduced their prices.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 15-02-2013

Quote:
Though I rather like the idea of a Chinese firm making a true rip-off. There is a lot of money to be made, and it would serve Mylaps right for price gouging. Please notice that Chinese esc market hasn't killed US or European esc companies but it has dramatically reduced their prices.
As much as i don't. Like it, but i like your thinking there.
Old 16-02-2013

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Mark, I'm glad you agree with my point. They innovated a cloned number and a clever design to allow the user to replace the wire and that created a differeniation which convinced you to purchase their unit so full marks to MRT for that.

I am surprised you didn't understand my initial point, Mylaps are a business, not a charity. They sold you a working product with no faults, you broke the wire and you expected what? Them to say, we're sorry you broke our product, please have a new one for free? If I bought a brand new car and wrote it off after a week would the maunfacture sell me another new one but this time at half price? Come on Mark, this is the serious business of business.

Believe me I'm not knocking MRT at all, I'm posting an observation, it doesn't bother me either way.

I'm not saying thats a bad thing, in this circumstance I believe its not, infact its probably been a good thing to keep the Mylaps pricing in check somewhat, but sadly it looks like that product has had its day, so as I said, you bought cheap, if clubs take the only sensible option, you'll more likely as not have to buy again.
Nope I expected a customer service and a repair service to be offered on a £2 wire.
Already handouts are being reported as not working on rc4 100%, and harry will not be here for long....

Oh and if you wrote off your car your insurance would repair or replace.
Old 16-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
MRT transponders aren't 'counterfeit' or 'copies' - they are simply devices that transmit a radio signal with specific properties. Mylaps can't patent that though they are the only ones can generate new codes (ie a new set of specific properties) and be sure the system will recognise them. So the code generating system is patented, but the transmission isn't.
Since MRT are quite clear about where their codes come from (old AMB units
Ok, can I just clear something up, if only that I get my facts right, this is a question I'd like answered ??

MRT are said to not counterfeit or make fake items !!

Do you or not send your original MyLaps or AMB personal transponder to MRT and they

1. Copy the signal.
2. Copy the unique ID Number from your original PT that MyLaps generated for that PT only

they also keep this data on file for further copies !!

So are they intact coping another companies product to sell their own ?
Yes it looks different
Yes you can replace the wire
Yes you can have different colour led's

But was the 7 digit code made by MyLaps ( or AMB ) and now copied by MRT

Thoughts !!
Support from: My Back Pocket

Driver - 'Derek'
Feedback Link : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48311
Old 16-02-2013

Yes they copy the unique id from mylaps to fit on their pt.