Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > YORCC - York

Old 02-05-2009
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col
Unhappy York club to close?

Well, the title is a little dramatic, but that's the potential at the moment!
Due to problems that the school are having/have had with health and safety, the school is having to end it's saturday night contract with the club as of the end of this month.
So, we are looking for potential new venues (amongst other things)
If anyone has any ideas for a new indoor venue, please find out as much info as possible and post here (or PM me) and I will forward all relevant info to the club officials.
So, just to recap the good bits... we're still racing on sat nights of the 16th, 23rd and finally the 30th. See you there!

EDIT: sat 30th is school holidays, so the final meeting will we on sat 23rd. Doors open at 6.00
Old 03-05-2009

Default Technicalities

I was at the meeting, from what i heard the problem is that they haven't got a care taker there to take responsibility if anything goes wrong, because he is ill at the moment...Does this mean that it is ok when he comes back??? Surely he can’t be ill all through the summer break for next season can he, or do you think that the health and safety people are using that just as an excuse…I do…
Old 03-05-2009
Awesome Admin

The way I understand it is that there are 2 caretakers, and due to an R/C unrelated accident one is on long term sick. This got the health and safety called in who went through all the schools activities and decided that no-one could use the school unsupervised. The caretakers are only looking after the school monday to friday, so there is no-one to supervise us on a saturday night. The amount of time the sick guy is on the sick is not relevant uness he wants to spend every saturday night unpaid watching toy cars drive round
Old 03-05-2009

could the the club not pay him? or would that not be a viable option?
Old 04-05-2009

lend a caretaker a car n get them hooked on the hobby! that way you wouldnt need to pay. but on a more serious note it a shame your in this situation. yorcc is a fantastic club and one thing i really miss about yorkshire i hope you find a new venue or are able to resolve this problem with health and safety
Diementia would like to invite you to vote for us on Total Biker FM here : http://lnk.ms/TPsV9 and share this link. Please also share this link.Thankyou for your support \m/ www.reverbnation.com/diementia
Old 04-05-2009

Hi Col

Is there any viability of using Oaklands School in Acomb again? (I think thats the name as its been a while since i was there), The same school York used to race at when i went regularly?
I know you raced there a couple of years ago & even held a Regional when Huntingdon was shut for building work.
It may not be as good as where you are now but I remember we used to have a decent turn out & the track/hall was a decent enough size.

Or what about the other sports centre in Acomb? I forget the name but 15 years ago (or so) York used to race there(not far from Oaklands as well). If memory serves they moved due to cost, but it might be an option.

Barry
Old 04-05-2009

Default Let's not let the club die

The school did offer us alternatives, such as Saturday afternoons or weekday evenings, and possibly one sturday evening a month. Now I know that an alternative venue is what we are all are hoping for, but it may take a while to find one. I am going to try the university to see if they can help. But untill we get a new venue maybe we should use the schools offer of the alternative times just to keep the club 'ticking over'. I know I'm new to the club but I dont want it to fold just after i've got hooked.
Old 04-05-2009

Default Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Williams View Post
Hi Col

Is there any viability of using Oaklands School in Acomb again? (I think thats the name as its been a while since i was there), The same school York used to race at when i went regularly?
I know you raced there a couple of years ago & even held a Regional when Huntingdon was shut for building work.
It may not be as good as where you are now but I remember we used to have a decent turn out & the track/hall was a decent enough size.

Or what about the other sports centre in Acomb? I forget the name but 15 years ago (or so) York used to race there(not far from Oaklands as well). If memory serves they moved due to cost, but it might be an option.

Barry
Yeah, i wouldn't mind paying a bit more to race at a different sports hall rather that not at all. Its not like people are going to choose not to race at YORCC just for the sake of a few quid, cos they'd probably spend more on petrol driving to the other neerest clubs! Aynway, surely it doesnt have to be a sports hall that we race in, maybe we could find something different like a big barn for instance through the summer coz farmers might me looking for some money.......Maybe some one who races is a farmer? or has farmer m8's? Just an idea
Old 04-05-2009
Awesome Admin

Barry, the school we last raced at whilst huntington was being re-developed was lowfields in acomb. I'd love to go back there as I could walk, but the students wern't so keen and burnt it to the ground!
Oaklands (now York High) is another alternative worth looking into, but it is now run by a private company and costs are expected to be through the roof.
Another person has suggested the Railway institute badminton courts, so I'll be e-mailing Derek later tonight with suggestions so far.
As mentioned earlier, we might have to keep using the current school at a different time for a while to keep us going till a new venue becomes available...
Old 08-05-2009

Is there any news to be spoken of, or are we going to have another meeting on saturday?
Old 08-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Through the summer, how about flood lighting Blyth? I realise it isn't quite local, but it'll be an ace venue.

The acomb venue was excellent, is it being rebuilt?

Are there any organisations struggling for cashflow near by? Factorys with a downturn in business that could do with an extra few quid for the use of there land? Empty industrial units up for rent where the landlord is struggling to fill but will let the club use until it is filled?

York club is ace, I am a member, id love to live closer as id attend loyally but its a bit far right for me whilst im unemployed right now.

Chris
Old 08-05-2009

Default Sports Halls in York...

I'm sure we will find a good venue, its just a matter of time!
Old 08-05-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to daz

I remember about 15 or so years ago York lost the venue at oaklands sports centre, we ended up racing on a disused car park then got a small indoor tennis court to race on.
So even if or when we do lose huntington, im sure the guys will find another venue. I would love to help the club more, but due to working most weekends i cant commit to it as much as i would like.
Old 14-05-2009
Mad Member

So I take it this sat is going to be the one before last york meeting at the school
Old 14-05-2009
Super Moderator

Some facts:
  • This Saturday night is on.
  • The committee are working very hard to find a new venue.
  • Negative threads like this do not help the club.

G
Old 14-05-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to mattym0310

I wouldn't really say that this is a negative thread, people (the club members and racers) are trying, as asked by Derek and Mike at the race meeting when we were all told about this, to come up with some helpful suggestions for new venues that the club may be able to use.

Team Associated b4
Team Associated b44
Old 14-05-2009
Super Moderator

Helpful suggestions like "should I sell up now"?

You have to be careful what you type on stupid internet forums, even if it is jest as often people take it as gospel.

G
Old 14-05-2009
Super Moderator

READ ALL ABOUT IT! READ ALL ABOUT IT! NEWS OF THE WORLD!!!!!
Old 14-05-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to mattym0310

fair point, didn't notice the post before.

Team Associated b4
Team Associated b44
Old 14-05-2009
Awesome Admin

I'm gonna assume that post has been edited now...
Quote:
So I take it this sat is going to be the one before last york meeting at the school
p.s. thanks for the back-up Matt. Just for that, I'll not ram you off the track this sat night!