Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 02-01-2011
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mank View Post
I live near Sidcup but so far I've only raced at Southend mate..
On sundays at the outdoor track we're getting around 8 minis but they've just added them to the nights racing at Barleylands Farm in Basildon,indoor Prima carpet,on tuesday night..
I've wanted to try out Sidcup and Maritime but bottled out a couple of times as i'm still pretty new to racing after car park bashing for years..!

Maybe i should replace quitting smoking as a New Years resolution with more Mini Racing...

Mank
Come down to Sidcup, we're a friendly bunch, we won't bite

It's on next Friday night if you fancy a run
Old 02-01-2011
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
At Eastbourne we use S Grips on the front with Either Spice 24 or 28's on the rear. Ok it doesn't "look" quite right but never the less very effective.

On the carpet at Tonbridge (WKRCC) with a long straight I generally use S Grips all round and apply superglue to the outside tread on the front's if grip roll becomes a problem.

Sidcup being a short twisty layout I believe you can can away with the Spice or sweep tyres. As you probably know they are a smaller diameter than the Tamiya's and the difference to the top end on a long straight is quite noticable.

I have been experimenting the the new Tamiya 60d Type B slicks recently a they are very good on carpet. And the bit I like is the low wear rate.

Big thanks to Ben for doing all the testing at Sidcup, but yes Sweep 25's work very well there

I'm going to try the Solaris tyres too (H front and S rear) next time out to see how they go.
Old 02-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
At Eastbourne we use S Grips on the front with Either Spice 24 or 28's on the rear. Ok it doesn't "look" quite right but never the less very effective.

On the carpet at Tonbridge (WKRCC) with a long straight I generally use S Grips all round and apply superglue to the outside tread on the front's if grip roll becomes a problem.

Sidcup being a short twisty layout I believe you can can away with the Spice or sweep tyres. As you probably know they are a smaller diameter than the Tamiya's and the difference to the top end on a long straight is quite noticable.

I have been experimenting the the new Tamiya 60d Type B slicks recently a they are very good on carpet. And the bit I like is the low wear rate.

Thanks for the info Shawn,
I've got a set of the smaller Tamiya slicks but to compensate for my poor cornering I need to be quick down the straights so I'll try some 60D slicks..

Mank
Old 02-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_dono View Post
Come down to Sidcup, we're a friendly bunch, we won't bite

It's on next Friday night if you fancy a run
Thanks Chris
The rare couple of times i've been free to come to Sidcup you've been in the middle of a championship and you can imagine the scene..
Noob with a badly set up car gets lapped,tries to get out the way,takes out front runners in a pile up,ruins the championship and has to leave via the toilet window to avoid getting lynched

Mank
Old 02-01-2011
oOple Advertiser

I wouldn't worry about it, we're always in a championship

come by on Friday and ask for me
Old 02-01-2011

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it, we're always in a championship

come by on Friday and ask for me
Thanks mate,
The only problem is i'm waiting for my BRCA license to come through.I'm joining through Southend club but paid and filled in details less than two weeks ago so i'm not sure when to expect it.If I get it this week i'll do my best to get there on friday..
What motors do you run?

Mank
Old 02-01-2011
oOple Advertiser

that's ok, you can do three meetings before your license turns up. We run stock brushed sealed can motors up to 20t.
Old 02-01-2011

Looks like i'm all out of excuses so I'll see you friday mate..

Mank
Old 02-01-2011

Quote:
that's ok, you can do three meetings before your license turns up. We run stock brushed sealed can motors up to 20t.

Cool, almost same specs as maritime then....as have invested in gear to meet their specs, good to see there's somewhere else I could race the mini, without the need to buy anymore electrics
Old 02-01-2011

Quote:
Good luck with your first Race on sunday and let us know how you get on..

Happy New Year

Mank

Hey Mank, first race went well, whilst only managed an overall last place in B final (only beating a dns), had a great day, and managed to not finish last in some of the pre final heats

Thats the first outdoor race done......now it's time to start tinkering with the mini and get the first indoor race done (will be nice to race indoors tho....I am frooooozzzzzennnnn still).
Old 02-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattJT View Post
Hey Mank, first race went well, whilst only managed an overall last place in B final (only beating a dns), had a great day, and managed to not finish last in some of the pre final heats

Thats the first outdoor race done......now it's time to start tinkering with the mini and get the first indoor race done (will be nice to race indoors tho....I am frooooozzzzzennnnn still).
Nice one mate
you certainly did better than I did on my first meeting,I had to wait till the finals were run so I could find the rest of the pieces of my car that had fallen off during the heats..
Come to Sidcup on friday night cos if you're racing me i'll guarantee you won't be last..!

Mank
Old 03-01-2011

Quote:
Come to Sidcup on friday night cos if you're racing me i'll guarantee you won't be last..!

Mank

the battle for last place commences

On a different note, when running 2cell hard case lipo's, which ones do you all use in the mini and do you need to mod the battery compartment at all?

My trakpower doesn't fit and although my winforce one fits, this wouldn't be allowed as is in a soft casing.
Old 03-01-2011
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Cool, almost same specs as maritime then....as have invested in gear to meet their specs, good to see there's somewhere else I could race the mini, without the need to buy anymore electrics
Ben Ryan worked with Sidcup, Maritime and West Kent to standardise the rules, so that you can go between the three clubs and not have to worry about shells/motors etc
Old 03-01-2011
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
the battle for last place commences

On a different note, when running 2cell hard case lipo's, which ones do you all use in the mini and do you need to mod the battery compartment at all?

My trakpower doesn't fit and although my winforce one fits, this wouldn't be allowed as is in a soft casing.
Hey mate, I use Orion 3600's as they have rounded edges. I believe the M06 takes the square shaped ones without any mods though !
Old 03-01-2011

Quote:
Hey mate, I use Orion 3600's as they have rounded edges. I believe the M06 takes the square shaped ones without any mods though !

Cheers for info Chris, yeah had seen that the rules for all three clubs were pretty similar if not identical tis a nightmare tho, wanna do all of them now, alas family commitments prevent that much investment of time

Cheers for info on lipos, as i've only used squared ones, have never looked for rounded ones, so just assumed i'd have to do a mod to the batt to get a squared one in, oops
Old 03-01-2011
oOple Advertiser

If you've already done the mod, then fair enough
Old 03-01-2011

Quote:
If you've already done the mod, then fair enough
Fortunately not am only at mucking about with installing electrics stage at the mo
Old 03-01-2011

I've got a couple of the Team Orion stick pack Lipos and even though they fit you'll have to do a simple mod on the battery chassis clips on an M03..
check out the link for a how to with pics...

http://www.rc-mini.net/joomla/index....-fit&Itemid=82

Mank
Old 03-01-2011

cheers mank, I'm so going to have to spend tomorrow night looking at this site, looks like a real good source of info

(finally got the M05 running well tonight, just need to sort the pinion out on the M03 then they'll both be ready )
Old 22-01-2011

Quote:
Big thanks to Ben for doing all the testing at Sidcup, but yes Sweep 25's work very well there

I'm going to try the Solaris tyres too (H front and S rear) next time out to see how they go.

Gonna need to invest in some tyres soon me thinks, would these slicks be for the front only? and s's on the rear?

Took the mini down for practice at maritime today, had a good go round, not tooo bad driving considering, just needed to dodge the tourers, and those pan cars flyyyyyyyyyy......

Could anyone recommend a good place to buy mini tyres from, tried to find m and s grips, only found 1 seller through google