Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 09-09-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

I think they should have to be between a pair of fixed dimenions.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 09-09-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyb4 View Post
I think they should have to be between a pair of fixed dimenions.

A

don't they exist in three dimensions ????
Old 09-09-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

It'd be difficult to make a rule on fitting specific cars, dimensions is much easier.

But, as a downside, then yeah definitely I think potentially for some people it will be a pain to make them fit. Those more comfortable with dremelling/cutting parts of chassis etc need to remember a lot of people really don't have the skills/inclination for that! With how difficult it is getting new blood into the hobby, I don't think advanced DIY being added as a prerequisite is a good idea!

Still, with a Lipo version S4 being seen (well, people have modified them or something to fit Lipo yeah?) there's not much the low capacity saddle Lipo's don't fit in pretty easily! I know they go in X5's (thanks to Chris Long showing me!) with little mods, they go in BX4's, I think they go in Tamiya's with just some battery post changes too? I'm sure I've seen B44's with them too!?

Dave
Old 10-09-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medders View Post
don't they exist in three dimensions ????
Ill put it a diffrent way i mean it they should fall within a set range on dimensions so it must be bigger then H x L x D but smaller than H x L x D.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 10-09-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to Tom3012

jim, not having a go but I pay for my gear with my own money and the occasional loan from my dad, and I'm on peanuts for a wage

But I say bring on lipo! You can get 2 yeah racing lipos for £38 on some sites and there awesome!

Atomic Carbon S2, S44, Vega B4.1

Trader feedback: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19374
Old 10-09-2008
Banned

my thoughts are they should fit all the cars witout modification,
no dremmelling at all,
then its up to the racer to make the decision for themselves

trekkker
Old 10-09-2008
Lee-Mag

I`m all for lipo and im looking forward to giving them a run at the worksop series but i have to agree with some of the posts regarding being able to fit into all cars without hacking bits out of them. A manufacture should not forfit sales just because battery technology has changed and this could happen. I would hate to see the racing scene lose a tope end chassis such as an S4 just because it could not accomodate a lipo pack

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 10-09-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I think you are all getting confused, LiPo does not really offer any on-track advantage of nmhi

its the off-track benefits that makes everyone pro-LiPo isn't it?

as has been pointed out, worksop series, LiPo and nmhi mixed it up all the way through the grid at that meeting.

just because a car does not fit 'regular' LiPo cells does not mean it is at a dis-advantage.

I would be perfectly happy to run an S4 type car on nmhi that I ran this year against ANY electric technology you like in your car, I know that my car was boarderline too fast for its self and the 'right' weight that I wanted.
Old 10-09-2008

actualy, I got to disagree with your first point there Chris.... for those who can't afford/justify buying the upper range of NiMH, there is a performance increase, plus there isn't a drop off in performance as the cells discharge. There is also not the AV drop-off as the cells age either, LiPo lose capacity not voltage.

I do think it really does level the playing field, for the club racer to the national driver... LiPo and brushless does, to a point, allow club drivers to run the same gear and power and performance as the likes of yourself though..... which is good.
Old 10-09-2008
Lee-Mag

I should have been clearer, Chris, i meant someone may choose a different car because it will accept lipo.

Like when the Cat SX was first rumoured people were saying they would only buy it if it was lipo friendly

SUPER SEED

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 10-09-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughtyUK.net View Post
as has been pointed out, worksop series, LiPo and nmhi mixed it up all the way through the grid at that meeting.
It could be the grip levels aren't that high at Worksop, so any additional power can't really be used. Where as on high grip tracks (Kiddy, Stotfold, EPR) the difference may be more noticable.

As DCM says there's no noticable drop off in performance, so surely the LiPo advantage will be more apparent at the end of a race.
Old 10-09-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by _sleigh_ View Post
It could be the grip levels aren't that high at Worksop, so any additional power can't really be used. Where as on high grip tracks (Kiddy, Stotfold, EPR) the difference may be more noticable.

As DCM says there's no noticable drop off in performance, so surely the LiPo advantage will be more apparent at the end of a race.
do you really think that more speed is needed than even a basic nmhi pack and a 4.5 ??
Old 10-09-2008

If/when Lipo becomes legal in 10th off road there will be a lot more companies bringing out packs that have different configuration of wires/output, if you looked at the brca touring guys, there was only 4 packs on it at the start and now there is over 16, at the moment there is only a few companys that do saddle cells as its quite an investment to produce, as soon as they see there is a market they will follow!!!
So most cars should be able to fit something!
Old 10-09-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughtyUK.net View Post
do you really think that more speed is needed than even a basic nmhi pack and a 4.5 ??
Not really, but the voltage charactoristics are still a big difference from NiMH.

My biggest negative point is the fitment into individual cars, and it need to be without modification to either cell or chassis.
Old 10-09-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

Speed advantages are in the drivers thumbs....which is why I'm not good!

Seriously though, you could have the fastest LiPo'd, brushless'd car on the track. If you can't drive then its no advantage. The fast guys will still be the fast guys. They're like that for a reason.

I could put a 5000 lipo and a 2.5 brushless in my car, and I'd still get beat by Cragg running Nihm and a stock motor!

Yes cost is a factor for most (including myself), but I always have to sell older stuff before I buy newer stuff. That way, you don't have to put as many pennies towards your new products.
Club racers will always buy your old gear, and some will even pay near the retail value for it if its in good condition.

Regarding 'modification' to chassis. That would need to be clarified. Would removing the battery trays from a D4 be classed as 'modifying the chassis'?
Old 10-09-2008
Lee-Mag

I think modifying, would have to be clarified, along the lines of any non reversable changes such as dremelling things out to get the cells in etc

SUPER SEED

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 10-09-2008
Mad Member

I'm not saying I want more voltage, just that it's not really an entirely level playing field.
Old 10-09-2008
Mad Member

i think years ago when the capacity of cells wasn't what they are now, and you struggled to last, the performance difference between LiPo and NiMH would've been way more apparent. Nowadays, if you've not got enough speed, you can just slat a faster motor in the car, yet not even come close to using the full capacity of cells.

There are limits to what power you can use in an off road car without making it too just too difficult to drive (grip limits etc), so i really can't see a performance related benefit of running LiPo in off road.

I ran LiPo in my X6 at the weekend, with a Novak 7.5L, and it was more than enough power. I was slowly adding weight to the car to get it to the same weight levels as it was with NiMH, so power really isn't a factor

The benefits of LiPo in terms of usage totally outclasses NiMH though. I have one pack for 2wd, one pack for 4wd, and just recharge the same pack after a race. No matter how long i run for, both cars' electrics came off cold! Overall, the cost of 2 packs of LiPo TrakPower 3200's cost me 90 quid (ish), cheaper than the numerous packs of cells i would've eventually bought for the new season.

As for fitting LiPo in the cars. I agree with some of the comments about attracting newbies into the sport, and them maybe having to mod the car to make it LiPo friendly. However, there are quite a few cars that still require some form of dremeling to get them race ready!

to be honest, i'd be gutted if we couldn't run LiPo next year, racing has become so much easier since i've tried LiPo
Old 10-09-2008

I think the power advantage you get with lipo would be of very little benefit to 75% of offroaders as it isn't how fast your car is but it's hgoing to be those pesky thumbs at the end of the day. Doughty proved this using my car in one leg of the a final at epr and still very much on the pace. I couldn't get the car any where near that fast around the track.
The main benefit as stan said, is a couple of packs for both classes and reuseable all day. There has been alot of people this year who have had cells go down in packs and have not replaced them purely because lipo is the future and there is no point in replacing damaged nimh's.(myself included)
I'll be using lipo as much as i can over the winter and club racing because it saves all the charging,discharging and equalising routine that seems to take a lifetime.
As for car fitment, at the level of racing that we are talking about, i think people will do whatever they have to so as to make their cars lipo compatible(if they feel they are at a disadvantage using nimh). They will fit every car with very little mods to the chassis inc. the s4(see doddy's thread)
Old 10-09-2008
LeeOtard

im pretty sick of people thinking that team drivers ahve faster equipment and thats why they beat other drivers....seriously are you kidding me?

you can buy the same batteries of the shelf....maybe even better..team cells aer not sorted, they're just picked from the shelf at the factory!

And i know it hurts to pay for things....but if we didnt then our hobbie shops and our hobbie would die out!

shame really...........