Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Gloucester Electric Racing Car Club

Old 21-02-2012

Default Mardave racing at Glos ?

Hi Guys,

How are you racing your Mardaves?

We've just started racing them at Cobra (Cardiff) but anything goes here and we run on the TC track.

I suspect that our cars are not legal at your club ??

If my cars are legal at the Glos culb, I wouldn't mind a visit

Thanks.
Old 21-02-2012

you can basically run anything in the mardave "open class" - there are no restrictions

you are welcome to join us anytime , friday 7pm onwards every week
Old 21-02-2012

Whatever you bring you will be allowed to race, 'illegal' cars in any of the classes at Glos just won't accrue any championship points, that's all. As far as Mardaves go, we run 2 classes, which could be loosely interpreted as stock and unlimited. In fact we are discussing this subject right now. I would encourage you to come down on a Friday and see what you think. Maybe also share an opinion or two on how the classes could be defined.
Old 21-02-2012

This all sounds great.

Do you run on a track or oval.
Do you try to smash the hell out of each other?
Do you try and race like Touring cars "non contact" (LOL)

Just trying to see if my lovley new CE will come back still looking lovley.

Old 21-02-2012

Do you run on a track or oval.
Track
Do you try to smash the hell out of each other?
I dont think so but it does tend to happen
Do you try and race like Touring cars "non contact" (LOL)
Not a chance - even the TCs dont race like that. We've a very small track but definately suits 'daves over TCs.

RIP 'CE'
Old 21-02-2012

in all honesty, we all try to run with no contact in mind. The inevitable incident does occur but depending on your driving abitility you'll probably be racing with the better drivers at the club (current open class) who are courteous both in passing and whilst being overtaken. Hopefully your shell should last a fair few weeks.
I'm interested to see how a brushless Mardave CE goes at Glos as i've been considering the upgrade for a number of weeks now.
As all the previous posters have said, you're more than welcome to come and drive at Glos whatever car you have.

Hope to see you on Friday

Si
Supastox
TLR 22
Mi3.5
Mi5
Mad monkey,
Tamiya Monster Beetle/Mud Blaster

"if i'm not racing... i'm dreaming of racing"
Old 21-02-2012

Thanks for that guys

I'll come over. I've got to wait for some new Li-po's to turn up before I can go anywhere with the Mardave. I did buy 4.8v 'C' packs but was having problems with keeping the electronics running. I was getting very short shut downs that was causing me to crash about 6 times a race

I've now bought some short 7.4 Li-po's that are an exact match to the size of the 'C' packs, so they will fit in the battery tray I made. The only problem I have now is that I thought I was going to run 4.8v, so bought a 13T brushless. That worked VERY well on 4.8v, but it's going to be STUPID on 7.4 !!! 17T would have been better on 7.4v, but I'm not buying another motor !

I think I'm going to have to turn down my throttle end point, turn down the start mode punch and play with the throttle curve!!

See you soon.
Old 27-02-2012

Looking forward to seeing you up at Glos SB.
I've run 7.4 LiPo on a 13T brushless and while fast, is within the realms of controllability. If you are a good driver it will not be too bad. Then again the Hobbywing 13T is only 3000 RPM/V and that is what I was running. If my car turns up before Friday I will hopefully also be running a CE, probably with a Hobbywing Extreme Stock on the 13T. Not for the faint hearted.
Old 28-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRat View Post
Looking forward to seeing you up at Glos SB.
I've run 7.4 LiPo on a 13T brushless and while fast, is within the realms of controllability. If you are a good driver it will not be too bad. Then again the Hobbywing 13T is only 3000 RPM/V and that is what I was running. If my car turns up before Friday I will hopefully also be running a CE, probably with a Hobbywing Extreme Stock on the 13T. Not for the faint hearted.
Dave did you see how fast are 27turn with 7.4v was like? a 13 brushless would be mental i cant imagin that being controlable. n i hope u'll be turning off the timing on that speedo dave. inless u ran 3.7v with timing on a 13 would be more sain wouldnt it?
Old 28-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
Thanks for that guys

I'll come over. I've got to wait for some new Li-po's to turn up before I can go anywhere with the Mardave. I did buy 4.8v 'C' packs but was having problems with keeping the electronics running. I was getting very short shut downs that was causing me to crash about 6 times a race

I've now bought some short 7.4 Li-po's that are an exact match to the size of the 'C' packs, so they will fit in the battery tray I made. The only problem I have now is that I thought I was going to run 4.8v, so bought a 13T brushless. That worked VERY well on 4.8v, but it's going to be STUPID on 7.4 !!! 17T would have been better on 7.4v, but I'm not buying another motor !

I think I'm going to have to turn down my throttle end point, turn down the start mode punch and play with the throttle curve!!

See you soon.
Dont ever touch the throttle curve!! thats like a biiiiig noooo. Throttle highpoint is what we had to change on are car
Old 28-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
Dave did you see how fast are 27turn with 7.4v was like? a 13 brushless would be mental i cant imagin that being controlable. n i hope u'll be turning off the timing on that speedo dave. inless u ran 3.7v with timing on a 13 would be more sain wouldnt it?
In response, if I remember correctly, my car was both mental and controllable.
Old 28-02-2012

yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaa this open class is hotting up nicely.

I'll have to change my worn 21T ansmann clash motor to a trusted but used 20T saturn to keep up now.....

Roll on Friday
Supastox
TLR 22
Mi3.5
Mi5
Mad monkey,

Old 29-02-2012

I'm liking the Mardave revival, although at this rate I'll be lucky to get in the A final.

Ok, I've just ordered a CE conversion kit cant quite see why this is £29.99 and the full kit is £89.99, unless I'm missing the point the other bits are standard cheapo mardave bits and wont cost me anywhere near £60. We'll see what turns up though (let me guess, some random screws, bits of crappy plastic, wrongly cut chassis plates, half a damper tube, cant wait!)
Old 29-02-2012

@ Grayslick, it will be interesting to see what's in the kit and whether or not your lap times will decrease accordingly with the new front camber mount adjustments and rear torsion tube...

I'm sure you'll remain in the A final just as long as they allow upto 8 cars on the grid lol

Si
Supastox
TLR 22
Mi3.5
Mi5
Mad monkey,

Last edited by Simion Wabs; 29-02-2012 at 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 29-02-2012

Si, I can smell the fear in your post.
Old 29-02-2012

Haha!
I didn't know there was a conversion kit. I would have been tempted by that although it would have postponed my return by another week. Also very keen to see what the extra £60 gets you. Not much I reckon. The CE doesn't even come with a motor. Have to say though, having almost finished my chassis it is somewhat more nicely made than a standard V12 (apart from the plastic mouldings which are identical).
Old 02-03-2012

Default Tc3 body posts

My 'dave turned up so I'm on the prowl for some tc3 body posts. Does Anyone have any I can purchase?
Old 03-03-2012

WOW Racing was intense last night !!! Really good to see some of the old boys back plying their trade in the Dave class as well as the new team Dave . Not spent a penny on the dave for almost a year now but i'm beginning to think I may require an upgrade or two.
Supastox
TLR 22
Mi3.5
Mi5
Mad monkey,

Old 03-03-2012

Yea team Dave is up and running now got the speedo/motor and gearing all sorted n not overheating now so we can think more about setup n handeling got a probs of the rear end bouncing under power Out of corners and end of stright so need to sort that then we flying :-). Simon what roams u run ing on the car of urs? N how long they last? N ur running a diff ain't ya?
Old 03-03-2012

yep running a diff, fronts are Jap 50 rears are Jap 42 trued to 49mm front and rear. Check that your axle is straight/true, they are prone to slightly bend at the thread and that can cause the rear to bounce when accelerating.
Supastox
TLR 22
Mi3.5
Mi5
Mad monkey,

Last edited by Simion Wabs; 03-03-2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: spelling