Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 25-10-2007

This calls for a youtube experiment! Should we start making rules for the video (i.e. no power tools)?
Old 25-10-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I bet Brian could do it .... the number of years he's run an XX4 with too much power I sure he's done more than a few rapid belt changes!!!

Watched Brian build a Pred once with a power screwdriver (Stoneleigh, about 1999????) .... scary stuff!!!!!!
Old 25-10-2007
Mad Member

Think you will find that was 1996 with my pred international

Took just over 1 hour to built that car, and did a set of gears every round.

http://www.screwz4rc.co.uk

Old 26-10-2007
LeeOtard

BOD! hahaahhahaha
Old 26-10-2007
Mad Member

pretty sure Doddy would be the fastest at xx-4 belt changing (he could build that car when pissed and blindfolded). I'm sensing a bet is on the cards here lads...
Old 04-11-2007

Sorry I just had to post. The XX4 is by far, my favorite car, ever. Here is a pic for a fix for the rear brace. Now the hinge pins are captive and the brace bolts to the chassis. Also the fix for the brittle shock towers (carbon braces). If you look closely, on the right hub, you can see my little braces. I made those braces for the hubs 6 years ago and haven't broken a hub since. Also my custom sway bar setup that I can make so stiff (if I want) that if you move one wheel full up the other moves up about 3-5mm, of coarse I never run it this stiff, I usually have it just stiff enough so it won't move the other wheel. I run CVD's at all corners and have yet to have a problem with them. The front dog bones had two inherent flaws; 1) Very thin bearings (1/4 by 3/8 as apposed to the standard 3/16 by 3/8), and 2) Very small thin plastic yokes. These two things add up to a recipe for disaster. I switched to CVD's on my first XX4, 8 years ago, and haven't ran dog bones since. Now as far as the belt change is concerned, you have to cut the rear/side belt cover. Now this makes the chassis flex more but I also built a brace that goes from the aft motor clamp screw, to the screw right by the servo and the screw at the corner by the motor (see pic 2, not my car but an altered pic to show what I mean). The brace transfered flex to the screw by the servo so, I drilled it out and added another threaded insert set up exactly the same way as the 2 for the motor clamp. I even took a 3/16 nut and put it on a screw, heated it up with a lighter, and melted a hex shaped recess in the chassis cover so the threaded insert sits flush. This seems to have fixed the problem of the chassis flexing. Now as far as efficiency/durability of the drive train, its all about breaking the belts in. First make sure the rear belt adjustment blocks (rear diff outdrive bearing holders) are B with the arrow pointing back, then pop off the camber links and pull the CVD's/dog bones out of the outdrives, then hook a dremel up to the slipper shaft, set it up so its on a stand and nice and stable (dremel too, duct tape works wonders), use the dremel to run the drivetrain for about an hour, at a moderately low speed. Then (if your a prefectionist like me) dis-assemble the car and clean all the belts and pulleys, and the chassis/chassis cover. This is all with brand new belts and pulleys. This is of coarse if you want the best/freest (pronounced free ist) drivetrain possible. On my XX4 if the motor is out and you turn 1 front wheel the drivetrain is free enough to roll, instead of the clicker clicking (and I set my clicker very loose). As far as belt durability, I don't run a slipper, that right Street Weapon direct drive (also cuts down on rotating mass ALOT), with a Mamba Max 6900, and I don't go through belts any faster than anyone else at my track. In fact other than a side belt about 2 months ago, I can't remember the last belt that I broke. This, I think, has more to do with driving style, as I am very smooth on the trigger. I have about 15 other things I have done to my XX4 also, so if anyone has any other problems they need solved with this car let me know (I know just about every one of the solutions), I have been developing and working on XX4's for about 8 years off and on (mostly on), and as of about a 9 months ago, I completed, what I (and everyone at my track) considers to be the perfect XX4. My car is just as durable as by B4, by this I mean, as long as I don't run it into the wall at full tilt, it doesn't break. I can drive the car as hard as I want and not have to worry about something breaking (although I still can't run it into the wall at full speed). The only thing I have left to do is to put the car on a diet, so the last two upgrades to my ultimate XX4 will be a titanium screw kit and I want to try Aluminum CVD's (if they don't work out I'll switch back to shiny). The XX4 is a good car, and with a little work it can be made really good, and with a lot of work it can be perfected. Now I do understand that some people want a car that they don't have to do this much work to get it to work really well (BJ4WE, D4, B44, MR-4BX, 501x), but for me, half the fun of this hobby is perfecting my cars to the point that it makes peoples jaws drop and eyes widen when they see my cars. Just because they are the same car they are running, but at the same time sooo different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sway bar (Medium).jpg (44.6 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg mamba xx4.jpg (74.0 KB, 146 views)
Old 04-11-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

I really like the rear brace. I think me is going to have to get oen of them made.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 04-11-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

seriously liking that rear brace...........that would have saved me a few chassis.
Old 05-11-2007

Send a message via MSN to ryan

That rear brace looks ace, must strengthen it up quite a bit
Old 05-11-2007
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew View Post
Sorry I just had to post. The XX4 is by far, my favorite car, ever. Here is a pic for a fix for the rear brace. Now the hinge pins are captive and the brace bolts to the chassis. Also the fix for the brittle shock towers (carbon braces). If you look .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............. can be perfected. Now I do understand that some people want a car that they don't have to do this much work to get it to work really well (BJ4WE, D4, B44, MR-4BX, 501x), but for me, half the fun of this hobby is perfecting my cars to the point that it makes peoples jaws drop and eyes widen when they see my cars. Just because they are the same car they are running, but at the same time sooo different.
Blimey dude, is your carrage-return key bust?

Nice stuff though - but not sure about the blue wheels.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.
Old 05-11-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post

Nice stuff though - but not sure about the blue wheels.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

After some of the wheels you've run?

Captain yellow spoke

Nortech is ACE!
Old 05-11-2007
BANNED

SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.
Old 05-11-2007
Super Moderator

They're cheap (or free if he begs them off of Damo) Danneth

G
Old 05-11-2007

yea they go round thats all you need. Who cares about looks.

A
Quote:
Originally Posted by super__dan View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA

After some of the wheels you've run?

Captain yellow spoke

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 05-11-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

Ash,

You dont HAVE to reply to every post you know! I'm just having a bit of banter with a mate, that's all!

Dan

Nortech is ACE!
Old 05-11-2007

Well im just joining in the banter with my mates.

A

Old 05-11-2007
Lee-Mag

I would love to see an average posts per day chart, i reckon ash would be at the top by a mile but then if you took out all the useless info i think he would cease to exist
Old 05-11-2007

Ifu, what are those front arms ? I am soooooo tired of breaking those stupid Losi arms !

Rusti Design - Awesome custom stickers and cool stuff

My trader feedback
Old 05-11-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to josh_smaxx

He's on 3.80 post per day on average, on another forum i was on nearly 5
Old 05-11-2007

That about average i think grahams on 3.66 your on 3.06 josh so hardly high. Jimmy is on 5.86.

A