Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 23-11-2012

Default 2nd spur gear destroyed

Having recently finished my first build (210) I have destroyed 2 spur gears in no time at all , the ball diff is very notchy when turned so I know I'm going to have to rebuild this , would this be enough to strip the spur gear ?
Old 26-11-2012

More than likely poor meshing between the pinion and spur

MB Models....Team Durango....Telsshells....韦恩是一个无线电遥控赛车上帝,克雷格是同性恋
Old 27-11-2012
Mad Member

Probably poor mesh, or somethings not running square. (bent motorplate, dirt between the motor and the plate, gearbox tightened up on the squint, slipper shaft bearings not pressed home properly (or damaged)?)

My original spur lasted about 6 months, it only got trashed after i got some sand under the spur cover and got it wedged into the root of the tooth.
That one also ran with both massively under and over tightened slipper (doh!), and i also ran it with one of the over size gear diffs, to the point that the motor hit 130 degrees. Still no spur problems.
Old 27-11-2012

or......you're melting the center of the spur from the slipper slipping too much? i did 2 in a row because of that and ended up fitting the vented slipper plates.
Old 27-11-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I saw it on Sunday, it's mesh related. It was kit 87 tooth spur, and a 28 pinion, which was a VERY tight fit. I've suggested a smaller spur and pinion combo for the 9t motor. Hopefully ill see you and help you get the mesh sorted before racing on friday evening.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 27-11-2012
Mad Member

I wouldn't be able to fit 28 on mine...26 is the max I would say (the 27 I have has no backlash when fitted).
Old 27-11-2012

Try 78spur with a 25 pinion. This will give you an almost identical overall ratio but have the benefit of both giving you plenty of breathing space to mesh and moving the motor further back in the car closer to the diff thus giving more rear grip!!! Win win!! I never ran with the kit spur on my car as I wanted the motor as far back as I could manage whilst maintaining the correct ratio for my motor.
Any questions feel free to ask or pm me!!
Hth
Steve
Reedy
DJ KIRKY
Old 27-11-2012

Thank you all for the above replies , I now have a 24 / 83 set up which is meshed ok I think , I can feed a piece of paper through it now and get a nice a crinkle effect