Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 09-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
Would be a step backwards for sure, rushing around to get a transponder before your race, then back in after your race, at the same time they want you out marshalling.
No more handing the car to the missus after the race has finished and going straight from the rostrum to my marshall point then. ("Hold it by the shock tower then if you don't want to get your hands dirty!")

I couldn't go back to hand outs again
Old 09-12-2009
Mad Member

Just been looking at this I-Laps system that's been mentioned.

The main problem I see is that the Transponder has to have a clear view of the Loop, I.E. it must be located so it can see out a clear windscreen.

See this link:
http://www.rclapcounter.com/page2/page2.html
Support from: My Back Pocket

Driver - 'Derek'
Feedback Link : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48311
Old 09-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartalec View Post
Which was?
Taken from the AGM Mins..

'Chris Yardy asked if there was any information about alternative timing systems and Charlie explained that although mentioned at the main
AGM indications were that we were still some way off finding a viable alternative to AMB.'

Old 09-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
Taken from the AGM Mins..

'Chris Yardy asked if there was any information about alternative timing systems and Charlie explained that although mentioned at the main
AGM indications were that we were still some way off finding a viable alternative to AMB.'

A rumour i heard (& i must emphasise the fact it is merely rumour at this stage) was that a timing system was being looked at that is low cost & is loosely based on shop security systems.. i.e the security tag you have on your CD's, clothes etc that the sales assistant removes at the till would be adapted into a transponder you stick into your car & the loop that you go through at the door that normally goes off if the tag goes past would be adapted into a timing loop. This does mean though as the technology already exists & is in use pretty much everywhere in shops it would be low cost & transponders would potentially cost peanuts & clubs could sell a transponder to members for something like £1 a time & there is almost a limitless number of transponders - similar technology has been adapted as vehicle tagging systems (Datatag).

There is also the AMBit system on the horizon - don't know a lot about it other than what i've read on the website & heard that it may become the norm by the end of the year. but to quote...

[QUOTE]indications were that we were still some way off finding a viable alternative to AMB. [/QUOTE]

Any new system (regardless of what it is) i know will no doubt be lower cost which will mean that clubs & drivers who have spent a fortune on trasnponders & older / current timing systems will feel put out & feel they have to spend again & dip into their pockets, however it's progress - are you browsing this site using a 486 or did you upgrade when it got old & costly to repair because parts were getting rare?? think how much games consoles cost these days & then look at what they cost in the 80's & then consider how much technology has advanced!! Plus any new system would i imagine be very accurate with lap times counted to the .000th of a second, where older AMB systems i beleive can't go that low.. RC probably wouldn't need that level of accuracy, but it would be there if needed.
Old 09-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
The only 'downside' is that your PT is pointless at a national so you'll have to use the handout like all the paupers who can't afford PTs!
Or those people like myself who have a PT (from 1/8th rallycross days) but choose not to use it as they believe it is a disadvantage!
Old 09-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
Or those people like myself who have a PT (from 1/8th rallycross days) but choose not to use it as they believe it is a disadvantage!
Only you ....

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 09-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
Are you on Crack?

You pay £££ for something, then don't bother using it 'cos it's a disadvantage, but don't sell it, yet complain everywhere else (in between the K-Love) how little money you have to spend on racing......
Old 09-12-2009
#1 ZX5 fan

I'll have it Rog?

Nortech is ACE!
Old 09-12-2009

Default I-Lap

We have been using the I-LAP counting system for two race season so far,and it has worked FLAWLESSLY .
This is the BEST alternative to the MYLAPS/AMB .
Yes,it does have to have a clear line of sight to the sensor ,but it's easy to do.We use our's on a outdoor off road track and the signal will even go through dirt,mud and even some painted bodies.We suggest a small hole in the body just above the transponder for the best result.This system is just as accurate as a AMB.For the price it is worth the money! Tracks who use the I-LAP usually have a track set of transponders for racers to use ,so buying a transponder is not needed for the racers who shows up once in a while.
MYLAPS/AMB has had a monopoly on lap counter's and now they have competition for the club track scene.Plus with a price increase coming on the AMB,new track owners and track who want a new system would foolish not to look into the I-LAP.This is just used to count laps .A die hard racer will race not matter what lap counter is being used,and like i said before can always go back to hand counting!
www.rclapcounter.com

Sean

Old 09-12-2009
Mad Member

Lets face it, apart from the cost there's nothing wrong with the current system. I don't to what degree the current system is copyrighted but I'm sure MRT are working on somthing. A cheap repro of the MyLaps system is the Holy Grail of electronics so its only a matter of time before it happens.

Clown
Old 09-12-2009
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancormier View Post
We have been using the I-LAP counting system for two race season so far,and it has worked FLAWLESSLY .
This is the BEST alternative to the MYLAPS/AMB .
Yes,it does have to have a clear line of sight to the sensor ,but it's easy to do.We use out's on a outdoor off road track and the signal will even go through dirt,mud and even some painted bodies.We suggest a small hole in the body just above the transponder for the best result.This system is just as accurate as a AMB.For the price it is worth the money! Tracks who use the I-LAP usually have a track set of transponders for racers to use ,so buying a transponder is not needed for the racers who shows up once in a while.
MYLAPS/AMB has had a monopoly on lap counter's and now they have competition for the club track scene.Plus with a price increase coming on the AMB,new track owners and track who want a new system would foolish not to look into the I-LAP.This is just used to count laps .A die hard racer will race not matter what lap counter is being used,and like i said before can always go back to hand counting!
www.rclapcounter.com

Sean

WOW, I didn't need glasses to read this one
Old 10-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
WOW, I didn't need glasses to read this one
you should wear them for driving though from what i've seen!!

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 10-12-2009

I have heard though, because the Ilap system works on an Infra-red system & not microwave radio or whatever other witchcraft the more traditional transponders work on, that ILap is no good for outdoor track use when there is bright sunshine (because the sunshine screws up the signals between the car & the loop) or if the start line is situated on a sun trap, or it only works well indoors. Can anyone confirm this?

Plus i can't imagine Ilap being much use for off-road use - think about it, you are following a car & it sprays up a big rooster tail & coats your car in crud or if a layer of thick dust coats the innards of the car after being sprayed from the tyres.. surely as the Ilap system works from infra-red light, if that light gets blocked out your car will not register as you cross the loop.
Old 11-12-2009

Isn't AMB now MyLAPS due to a buy out / merger?
Old 11-12-2009
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim76 View Post
you should wear them for driving though from what i've seen!!
LOL, you're probably right judging by my recent results

........and you need them next time you enter a model shop. The last time you went in you picked up a madrat by mistake (surely it was a mistake?)
Old 11-12-2009
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Wolfie View Post
I have heard though, because the Ilap system works on an Infra-red system & not microwave radio or whatever other witchcraft the more traditional transponders work on, that ILap is no good for outdoor track use when there is bright sunshine (because the sunshine screws up the signals between the car & the loop) or if the start line is situated on a sun trap, or it only works well indoors. Can anyone confirm this?

Plus i can't imagine Ilap being much use for off-road use - think about it, you are following a car & it sprays up a big rooster tail & coats your car in crud or if a layer of thick dust coats the innards of the car after being sprayed from the tyres.. surely as the Ilap system works from infra-red light, if that light gets blocked out your car will not register as you cross the loop.
Not sure on the exact ruling but I was under the impression that at BRCA sanctioned events you need three numbers on the car, one of which has to be on the front window. That would make the I-lap sensor very awkward to use wouldn't it?. Yes, as has been said, you can drill holes in your body and mount it under there but who wants to do that to their newly painted shell?
Old 11-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD View Post
Lets face it, apart from the cost there's nothing wrong with the current system.
That's quite a big 'apart from', though, isn't it?

I know it doesn't matter a great deal to racers at the nat level who are likely to be more willing/able to invest cash in AMB kit, but if the BRCA can encourage alternative lap counters that actually work I'm all for it. The AMB systems aren't just a 'bit' expensive, they're genuinely ludicrous, and a massive cost drag for clubs. Personally I would like to see a bit of real competition for them, and that's not going to happen if every time someone tries an alternative everyone complains that their PTs don't work.

As you say, a cheap copy of the AMB system would be great, but if that's somehow not possible I'm all for the BRCA supporting alternatives.
Old 11-12-2009

I would say that AMB have the patents well established for the technology so its going to be a swine to copy but you never know.
Old 11-12-2009

Quote:
Not sure on the exact ruling but I was under the impression that at BRCA sanctioned events you need three numbers on the car, one of which has to be on the front window. That would make the I-lap sensor very awkward to use wouldn't it?. Yes, as has been said, you can drill holes in your body and mount it under there but who wants to do that to their newly painted shell?
i also read somewhere that another option was to leave an unpainted square on your roof (so it looks like an open top or a clear glass sunroof) but as you say BRCA rulings would make this awkward, after all the BRCA rules say the car must be painted apart from the more usual windows - the only other thing you can leave unpainted is a wing. I suppose you could mask out a sunroof & use that special tinting paint that you can use to turn clear windows into tinted windows (but wouldn't be allowed on the windows themselves at a BRCA event), this would get past the "shells must be painted" rule as you have applied paint to the roof, but this seems a bit of a faff plus if 1 track on the BRCA nationals used Ilaps it would put a real spanner in the works with regards the regulations, plus again it would impede the light.
Old 11-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

it would be no problem for me, i would just point the sensor in the car to fire through the hole where i usually pin my handout!!! lol

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback