Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Ansmann Racing

Old 09-12-2011

Default X2c Diff Tightness ??

Hi, I have just built my first Buggy and just wondering how tight the diff should be. I am going to race on high grip carpet.

Should the little screw be tightened all the way in? I have backed it off by 1/4 of a turn and there isnt much resistance when turning the wheels.

Thanks for your help,

Dom.
Old 09-12-2011

Better you try it on the track. Make a start at full throttle and see if the diff slips
Old 09-12-2011

Thanks, I will try that.

Are most people tightening theres so the spring is fully compressed or are they backing the screw off before the screw goes tight?
Old 09-12-2011

I ste mine by holding the spur and one of the rear wheels, then turning the other. It should be very hard to turn (but not impossible). That should you pretty close, but don;t forget to break it in gently and keep re0checking and tightening as required until its fully set.
Old 09-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagoo View Post
I ste mine by holding the spur and one of the rear wheels, then turning the other. It should be very hard to turn (but not impossible). That should you pretty close, but don;t forget to break it in gently and keep re0checking and tightening as required until its fully set.
Only problem doing this is how tight is your slipper? So your diff could be tight as anything but the spur still move cos of the slipper. I find it very hard to set them both and tend to just set the diff abit loose and use the slipper to find tune I may be wrong tho :-/
Old 09-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
Only problem doing this is how tight is your slipper? So your diff could be tight as anything but the spur still move cos of the slipper. I find it very hard to set them both and tend to just set the diff abit loose and use the slipper to find tune I may be wrong tho :-/
True, what I should have added is tighten the slipper right down first, set the diff and then losen up and set the slipper.
Old 09-12-2011

Tighten the slipper up fully first, then adjust the diff using the method described above, once the diff is set then adjust the slipper. A rough guide to doing this is to turn on the buggy & radio on, hold both rear wheels with your hand/arm & give it some throttle, you want the slipper loose enough to bring the front wheels off the ground approx 3" You'll want to tune further at trackside I would think too.

http://www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com/
Old 09-12-2011

Thanks for all these solutions. I will have an experiment over the weekend.

Out of interest, when they are setup correctly, is the screw fully tightened in with the spring squashed or are they a turn back before the screw goes tight?
Old 09-12-2011
Mad Member

Generally it wouldn't be fully tightened If it was your diff wouldn't work. You basically want it tightened enough so that with the slipper clutch locked, holding one wheel and the spur gear you shouldn't be able to easily turn the other wheel.

Did you squash the diff spring a few times with a pair of pliers before you put it in? If you didn't I would take it out and do that as it can give you a false tightness where the screw won't go in any further but the diff is slipping.

Robert Jaques, Schumacher Racing KC, K2. Team Associated SC5M

"The Japanese Sniper"

Team Autocare & Cycles