Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Mansfield RC Club

Closed Thread

Old 14-07-2014

Send a message via Yahoo to spybot
Smile Some Suggestions to possibly increase Sunday Racing Numbers

Why not do something different on a Sunday,

Here are a few suggestions from me :-

01. An old school meeting (Straight Carpet racing - No jumps)

02. A team Le Mans Style endurance Meeting (Say teams of 4 Drivers race for 3 hrs) this could be done in conjunction with another club.

03. Make Sundays into a month (or some other agreed time period) where you get points based on your finishing position ( I assume the computer system can do a full print-out of the drivers times) & at the end of the time period small trophies are awarded to the top 3 drivers or maybe a larger Trophy is awarded for the top driver then start the tournament again. Basing the points system upon a drivers position in the overall times of a meeting means everyone stands a chance. Not all points would go to 'A' Final Drivers a 'C' Final driver who does more laps in a faster time than say an 'A' Finalist would get more points.

Feel free to add some suggestions of your own & maybe even get some of them implemented. When my father & I originally set up Mansfield Car Racing we set it up to be the best club in the country & I think that was achieved. Lets make Mansfield special again, it can be done but it needs more than the same people running things it needs a little bit of help from all members. It's your club guys lets try and make it the envy of all the clubs in the region.

Michael

Last edited by spybot; 14-07-2014 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Adding to post
Old 14-07-2014

Default Old school

I'm up for old school (being old) before anybody else says it

It may also be an idea to spend one weekend not racing and repairing / building new ramps and such like as some are looking tired and well past there best

I know materials are not cheep but I'm sure as a club we could pull together and sort something
Old 14-07-2014

To be honest, and most people know my views on this, but a lot could be gained from having a practice session on Sundays. The two main things that will boost competitiveness in this hobby are:

1. Opportunity to try different settings to sort out what works for you.
2. Time on the sticks.

Both of these are not in abundance at a race meet, even one as relaxed as Mansfield on a Weds night. With practice, 4 rounds and a final you are looking at 1/2 hour driving time tops, and it's always difficult to test settings back to back in a race environment.

Me, I'd happily pay my fees to have a full afternoon of being able to run, stop, tinker and be look what it does to the lap time. Without having to worry about losing time due to tyres going off, getting baulked on a run etc.

When i originally changed from electric to IC back in 1992....my driving improved massively, and people like Gareth will remember that I often used to spend an afternoon at Tibshelf just working on set up (2-3 hours track time). Knowing how a car works and what works for you is worth more than the majority of go faster aftermarket parts out there.

Just a thought.
Old 15-07-2014

Practice time works for me Ben, i like to try different things and see what does and doesnt work, getting an extra 10th per lap makes a massive difference.
Also last wednesday night, what the hell happened to the grip levels??????, even brand new tyres didn't work, it was ok in practice but was shocking for the rest of the night. What type of additive are the foam boys using? maybe this is whats causing the grip to be epicly low, just a thought.
Old 15-07-2014

Send a message via Yahoo to spybot

The additive I bought for my foams Rich is exactly the same as the additive used on Off-Road Tyres - NOSRAM Traction Additive Carpet. But late time I raced 'nites' told me no additive so I ran without it. I found running Contact RC SE foams allowed me to run reasonably ok better than I raced on Mini Pins. So the solution to inconsistent grip levels would seem to be a simple one, get the carpet shampooed clean then ban all additives.

Michael
Old 15-07-2014

I use either lrp carpet or sxt 3.0.

Don't assume foams have more grip because they don't. Case in point, cut staggers are WAY too much for rear foams. The truth is those that have tried them have expected them to work straight away, its not going to happen. I've persisted, as have others, due to lower running costs (3+ months on a single set) no other reason.

I ve worked hard on the setup to get good performance from foams. My 22 is set up like no other car I've ever seen, 4.5 degrees antisquat, huge difference in front and rear roll centres, 4 degree camber etc. I ran out of adjustments on the yoke and thats why I moved on.

There's only so much abuse the carpet can take from mini pins. Additive prevents the fibres from getting airborne. The warmer weather is softening the pins allowing them to 'fold'. Blue compound might work better.

Broxtowe don't have problems with a mix of foam and rubber but then again pins are prohibited.
Old 15-07-2014

Default tyres

I for one have saved money running foams but cannot see the point in me racing any more if we have to race in a different class has there is only a few of us use foams I don't want to stop racing at Mansfield but that's what might have to happen
Old 15-07-2014

ha ha ha, you said "pile" lol. . pro carpet cleaning sounds good or see if we can get another carpet maybe? Mark you cant stop racing at mansfield dude, remember last year when we ran a venoms only class? that worked ok.
As for club numbers, maybe we should start doing a club championship like broxstowe does, Different classes etc. So maybe now is a good time to get together as a club as put some ideas forward to increase numbers and make the club even better than it is.
I'm not there tomorrow night because of some bull crap happening at work but if anything is decided please let me know
Old 15-07-2014

Going back to what spybot put at the beggining of this thread, Sundays once a month and have it as a finals/trophy meeting, points gathered every wednesday and the sunday has last round of qualifying and 3 leg finals, what are the thoughts on that?

Last edited by dicky14; 15-07-2014 at 01:51 PM. Reason: crop spelling, doh
Old 15-07-2014

Don't know what the problem on Wednesday was It reet bad but then Sunday it was fine again I had plenty of grip, just one of those x files moments maybe . But we do need more people on Sundays I've been most of the time when in between cars is the only time I have not made it but ask Gareth on Wednesday about the numbers we need to keep it running and we have been missing a few regulars through one thing or another but as the saying goes USE IT OR LOSE IT
Closed Thread