Old 13-10-2009
LeeOtard

yeh he has!! and a exige!!
Old 13-10-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

they did a custom hole in the roof!!
Old 13-10-2009

I was looking at buying one and decided against it and bought an audi tt instead. The one thing that put me off which was a let down was tgat these engines drink oil, so if you do buy one make sure you have plenty of oil ready. its not like an oil change every 10000 miles. Also on cold icy mornings sometimes the car wont start (this happened to someone i know) which i couldnt afford to have happen to me.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 13-10-2009
EX-Member

Ok thanks for the posts guys not to bothered about the low mpg or the oil thing. But more about reliabilty which seems to be a bit of a problem with this stall'in issue when cold on start up. Will speak to Mazda and see what they say ??
Old 13-10-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Oil - I put about a litre of oil in mine roughly every month (~1000 miles)

ShutDown - as a precaution, I blip the throttle on my car to about 4,000rpm and switch off the ignition as the rev's start to fall, this is only needed when cold apparently, but I do it all the time just for the sake of it

MPG - don't buy one if you want an economical car, anywhere from 250 - 300 miles on a tank of fuel that costs about £50 with the prices as they are right now

Driving - its awesome, I LOVE it so much! its got no torque, so you need to be +7,000rpm if you want it to feel fast (the upside is it sounds frickin mental at this rpm ), but on the flipside to this, town driving and cruising its super smooooth

Passengers - fits 4 adults in very comfortably, I'm 5'10 and the person in the back behind me has plenty of leg room

Buy one from an authorized Mazda reseller, I had an auto-level headlight sensor go mental on mine and this was changed (at another Mazda dealer) under warrenty. (on the Mazda extended second hand car warrenty thing)

knowing what I know now, if I was in the same position as I was when I was looking for one, I would buy the same car again no question.

if you can live with giving it a drink reasonably often and having the bonet up once a month to feed it oil then I don't see any reason why not to have one.

(mine is the 231 six speed version)
Old 13-10-2009
Mad Member

hmm i dont think mazda are gonna give you a true answer lol.

Join a mazda forum, loads of knowledge an horror stories, when i was looking for one, they were selling them on autotrader with blown engines - i seen 3 seperate adverts for cars.

AS mentioned i think its after 2005, where the engines were improved and the software updated, A bad point with these engines they need a rebuild after 100k, the older ones even needed the tips replacing on the rotors from memory and that wasnt cheap - otherwise compression goes.

Check it out on the forums.

Col.
RC18T
Lunchbox Gold
X-6 squared
Lrp, Novak, Robitronic, Ko Propo, Ezrun , Trakpower ,Team Scream, Demon, Microtech, Dms, Good old Jezza, Je-Spares, Bolton Model Mart,

My Feedback http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25199
Old 13-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
I was looking at buying one and decided against it and bought an audi tt instead. The one thing that put me off which was a let down was tgat these engines drink oil, so if you do buy one make sure you have plenty of oil ready. its not like an oil change every 10000 miles. Also on cold icy mornings sometimes the car wont start (this happened to someone i know) which i couldnt afford to have happen to me.
sounds a bit like my 2-stroke racing kart!

I'd take the money for a new RX8, buy a cheapo pile of crap mondeo estate for lugging gear around, and a caterham 7 for fun.
Old 13-10-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco77morgan View Post
Ok thanks for the posts guys not to bothered about the low mpg or the oil thing. But more about reliabilty which seems to be a bit of a problem with this stall'in issue when cold on start up. Will speak to Mazda and see what they say ??
I have had my car a year and its never failed to start or even stall.

I am mindful not to start the engine and turn it off straight away, and I always shut it down with a blip to ensure all fuel is burned off before its stopped
Old 13-10-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinevan View Post
hmm i dont think mazda are gonna give you a true answer lol.

Join a mazda forum, loads of knowledge an horror stories, when i was looking for one, they were selling them on autotrader with blown engines - i seen 3 seperate adverts for cars.

AS mentioned i think its after 2005, where the engines were improved and the software updated, A bad point with these engines they need a rebuild after 100k, the older ones even needed the tips replacing on the rotors from memory and that wasnt cheap - otherwise compression goes.

Check it out on the forums.

Col.
I agree, www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk their forums has EVERYTHING you could want to know
Old 13-10-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm_2008 View Post
sounds a bit like my 2-stroke racing kart!

I'd take the money for a new RX8, buy a cheapo pile of crap mondeo estate for lugging gear around, and a caterham 7 for fun.
so your solution is to drive a boring car for 360 days of the year and then use the 7 for days when its sunny, you have nowhere to travel to, you have no more than one crazy friend to take out...

personally, I like to have fun every single time I get in the car
Old 13-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughtyUK.net View Post
Oil - I put about a litre of oil in mine roughly every month (~1000 miles)

ShutDown - as a precaution, I blip the throttle on my car to about 4,000rpm and switch off the ignition as the rev's start to fall, this is only needed when cold apparently, but I do it all the time just for the sake of it

MPG - don't buy one if you want an economical car, anywhere from 250 - 300 miles on a tank of fuel that costs about £50 with the prices as they are right now

Driving - its awesome, I LOVE it so much! its got no torque, so you need to be +7,000rpm if you want it to feel fast (the upside is it sounds frickin mental at this rpm ), but on the flipside to this, town driving and cruising its super smooooth
I no longer fancy buying a used RX8!
Old 13-10-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm_2008 View Post
I no longer fancy buying a used RX8!
explain why not?
Old 13-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughtyUK.net View Post
so your solution is to drive a boring car for 360 days of the year and then use the 7 for days when its sunny, you have nowhere to travel to, you have no more than one crazy friend to take out...

personally, I like to have fun every single time I get in the car
you have a point. it's not really much of a solution is it

in reality my 'solution' is a LWB t5 van, a go kart for a racing buzz, a 600cc commuting bike (60+mpg) & a 'fun' bike for kicks.
Old 13-10-2009
EX-Member

Ok don't need the RX8 for RC days just a fun nice looking car which my Mrs can drive fast and get the kids in. Wouldn't be looking at the RX8 in I wanted a high performance sports car. It's only 6.4 secs 0 - 60, my X5 does that so it's more of a look nice bit of fun car I'm looking for
Old 13-10-2009

m3 Has she had a play in a 135 yet?? get on it! BOOF
Old 13-10-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

What about a Scirocco? 250bhp easily from a simple remap, still over 30mpg and still not very common!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1272322.htm

I love them!

VXR8? Guy at work has a red one, sounds awesome and he loves it

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1250302.htm

Impreza? Some good bargains around now....

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1280779.htm

What about a 911? Some good 996's around now :-)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1204094.htm

Evo 10???

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1266483.htm

Old 13-10-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Depending on what you want to spend of course but there's also things like the Integra Type-R?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1249835.htm

Or maybe a nice 330Ci convertible??

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1282877.htm
Old 13-10-2009
EX-Member

I love all of these masculine cars but it's getting the Mrs to go for it. At the min it's either MK2 TT, RX8, 911 ( but unsure if the rear seats are going to be adequate) or M3.

Been looking at the VXR8 with Pidge though Nick as I was fancying one for myself !! 6.2 V8 for 25K brand new is pretty unreal
Old 13-10-2009

mates got the vxr and loves it too!! What a sound.
How about the new imprezza sti, then your car could sound as if it has a hole in the exhaust like lee's. Seriously tho, they are a nice car. If the wife wont go for an rs4, then she aint going for the m3 either!! Focus RS?
Old 13-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco77morgan View Post

Been looking at the VXR8 with Pidge though Nick as I was fancying one for myself !! 6.2 V8 for 25K brand new is pretty unreal
it's the modern day equivalent of the lotus carlton