Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 09-02-2011

Default Hi Torque Servo Saver - Good or bad?

The tamiya hi torque servo saver is alledged to be the best, however, this is not my experience!

I have two; one used and one new and have had to stop using them because they just do not centre properly, even with a tamiya aluminium horn (M03).

Basically there is a gap between ends of the two inner "C" springs and both the arm and the splined part of the saver. I do not thing that the "C"'s are long enough.

I've tried squeezing the rings together and this makes no difference.

The question is; is there something obvious that I have missed, or are they as bad as I think they are!
Old 09-02-2011

Send a message via MSN to Balders Send a message via Skype™ to Balders

I noticed some slop on my 511 servo saver but that's after a season of racing so I wasn't overly concerned.

The 502 doesn't have any at all but then that's new.

If you end points on your transmitter aren't set up perfectly then you will wear out servo savers as on full lock the additional steering input from the servo is being absorbed by the servo saver.

Mike Baldwin - Caldicot
Old 09-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_r View Post
The tamiya hi torque servo saver is alledged to be the best, however, this is not my experience!

I have two; one used and one new and have had to stop using them because they just do not centre properly, even with a tamiya aluminium horn (M03).

Basically there is a gap between ends of the two inner "C" springs and both the arm and the splined part of the saver. I do not thing that the "C"'s are long enough.

I've tried squeezing the rings together and this makes no difference.

The question is; is there something obvious that I have missed, or are they as bad as I think they are!
I've always been happy with the Tamiya servo saver. I've always found that the springs are a tight fit, as they should be.

One tip I was given in the past is to not overtighten it onto the servo - it can distort the plastic body.
Old 09-02-2011
Mad Member

They are junk! The only thing on my trf's that are not tamiya (I use a kimborough) the plastic gets sliced by the springs on any slight knock and that introduces slop so it doesn't centre. I don't know why Tamiya haven't changed this design yet.

I have tried the metal trf part also and that doesn't make any difference.
Old 09-02-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

I prefer the Kimbrough one too, although the Hi-Torque is a lot better than the cheaper savers.
Old 09-02-2011

Dont bother with savers. Just use plastic arms, they'll break before the servo does. Savers develop slop with time and is just generally annoying. I've never used them.
Old 10-02-2011

In my experience its the large C ring that with use gets weaker so does not do the final bit of centreing; unfortunately Tamiya do not do replacement springs (pity) the obvious cure, so I use plastic arms like others as they break fist.