Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > REAL 1:1 Cars

Old 03-08-2012
Mad Member

Default Bye bye Fabia VRS

After nearly 4 years of chucking my Fabia VRS around the Kentish countryside, the opportunity has arisen to part exchange it and have a change.

I want something larger - preferably an estate as I'm fed up with the kids having their SC10's on their laps when we go racing due to lack of space in the Fabia. Got to be a diesel as well due to the mileage I do (and I occasionally can get free diesel through work).

I'm hankering after an Octavia VRS, but also considering Mazda 6 and Vauxhall Insignia, or even a Saab?

Thought I'd throw this open to see what peoples opinions are.......
Old 08-08-2012

Funnily enough I'm in the same position, except I've spent four years chucking my xsara vts around the Berkshire countryside and am now looking for a medium size hatchback diesel.
I've seen the spec of the octavia vrs diesel and you can't go far wrong with that
Old 18-08-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

I loved my mazda 6, it was lovely to drive and reliable.
Only thing to watch is the second gear synchro is weak and can be clunky. Mine was like it in the whole 3 years i had it. My boss' did it from 6 months old!
Im currently driving a 320D msport, and it is really nice to cruise, but doesn't really handle very well. 60+ mpg on a run makes up for that though.
Old 18-08-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I,ve had my 2lt cmax for nearly 6 years and apart from normal wear and tear only had to change the intercooler. If the thing was,nt so reliable I,d sell it for a bmw.
For its size its got great pulling power and is no slouch. Loads of boot room for your gear 42-44mpg normal 50mpg+ on a run. Comfortable good visability and handling try a test drive.
Old 18-08-2012

I was exactly the same earlier in the year i loved my Fabia VRS it was mapped to 190bhp it had done hillclimbs road rallys and taken my rc cars racing. But i decided i needed a bigger car and i went for a octavia vrs and i love it even more. It is the best car ive ever had its not quite as economical but not far off and i can fit 4 people and all their kit in now as well.

Cheers

Rich
Old 18-08-2012

big thumbs up for the octy VRS. had mine for nearly a year now and its just awesome, i dont think you'll come anywhere near with anything else for for the money and it has enough toys in it too
Old 18-08-2012
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

stay clear of the insignia had one for a weekend it was crap on fuel and slow,handled like a dog
Old 18-08-2012
Mad Member

I have a Volvo V50 and it is very good, but it's no VW. Mate has the Octavia vRS estate and loves it to bits - fast, reliable and frugal when driven sensibly.

I'd avoid the usual suspects of Audi, BMW and Mercedes. Tried them all and didn't like any of them. The V50 has some quirks, but that's preferable to the anodyne boredom of the others, and it's that little bit smaller on the road which we prefer. HTH
Old 28-08-2012
Mad Member

Went for an Octy VRS hatchback in the end. One popped up at a VW dealer near me for a good price and good mileage. It's a facelift 10 plate and drives like a dream. Didn't get much for the Fabia as PX but it was "well used".

I'm just paranoid about getting it dirty and leaving it anywhere now!!!
Old 23-09-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
I have a Volvo V50 and it is very good, but it's no VW. Mate has the Octavia vRS estate and loves it to bits - fast, reliable and frugal when driven sensibly.

I'd avoid the usual suspects of Audi, BMW and Mercedes. Tried them all and didn't like any of them. The V50 has some quirks, but that's preferable to the anodyne boredom of the others, and it's that little bit smaller on the road which we prefer. HTH
My V50 has a few quirks to... Been a great car though. It has done 150,000 miles now and the engine feels like its just run in. I have had a few issues with it but I put that down to its age and they are not failures just wear and tear.

Had a ridiculous amount of cars over the years but this volvo is pretty much up there with the favourites I owned. Most boring car I have ever owned was a volkswagen, had it for a year and was glad when I traded it in. I don't really get the love affair with everything from the VAG.

Robert Jaques, Schumacher Racing KC, K2. Team Associated SC5M

"The Japanese Sniper"

Team Autocare & Cycles
Old 23-09-2012

Buy a defender, go anywhere and be one of the biggest trucks, my old mans eats cars for fun, it has written off a Peugeot 306 and a skoda, only having a mere scratch, it's tougher than a hong nor short course
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 24-09-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpi_guy View Post
Buy a defender, go anywhere and be one of the biggest trucks, my old mans eats cars for fun, it has written off a Peugeot 306 and a skoda, only having a mere scratch, it's tougher than a hong nor short course
+1

Also by shares in all the major fuel suppliers.
And a big big big bag of tools.

And some ear defenders.

I'd love to have one (i did some design work on the current one) but i couldn't afford to live with it. Unless i won the lottery.
Old 24-09-2012

Tools!?!?!?!?!? I think you mean a hammer everything on a defender can be fixed with a hammer
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 24-09-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpi_guy View Post
Tools!?!?!?!?!? I think you mean a hammer everything on a defender can be fixed with a hammer
Small hammer, medium hammer, large hammer.

And a big stillson for the things that need to be twisted instead of hit.
Old 24-09-2012

Yea, but in defender terms that's a expensive toolbox
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 24-09-2012

The Skoda's a great choice for a 'normal' car.....now...They've finally got their act together and thanks to VAG started to sell decent motors.

I remember back in the 80's a lot of big fleet managers had a Skoda sitting in the lot for company car drivers that didn't perform well or got done for speeding...as a punishment, they took your Ford, Vauxhall, Datsun off you and gave you the Skoda until you hit your sales targets.

If it's big, tough. go anywhere and Reliable you want - buy a Toyota Land Cruiser, you won't need the tool box / hammers.
Old 24-09-2012

LAND CRUISER?!?!?!?
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 24-09-2012

Yep, Land Cruiser...or Hi-lux for trade use, same chassis and mechanics.

Taken to the Pole by Top Gear, only recommended vehicle for Australian outback use, Land Rover products are not recommended as they can't handle the heat.

Every gun platform / troop transport used by rebels in the middle east or African state - Toyota.
UN vehicles are often Toyota Land Cruisers too....reliable see!

I'd love a Range Rover and even went to buy one once to replace my Hi-lux, two things put me off though - the previous winter when we'd had an awful lot of snow and cold weather I saw loads of newish Rangies parked up with the bonnets up all over the midlands. The other...I went into the dealer in Lincoln and got ignored...so I bought a Lexus instead - and that was a great car.
Old 27-09-2012
Mad Member

And just to prove you can't have something nice without some lowlife spoiling it - some utter ba$tard has left me a nice present and keyed down the passenger side of my Octavia.

Gutted.

More expense to get that fixed now. One of these days I'm going to use the baseball bat I keep by the front door.
Old 27-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Offer a reward for information leading to a conviction. Someone will grass them up. You may not get much back but you will know where and who to use that bat on.