Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 01-07-2013
Mad Member

Default Hobbywing problem

Now I know it's difficult to diagnose electrical problems without having the ESC in your hand - but I'll throw this into the mix in the hope someone has cured something similar.

First time I ran my B4 at the weekend - HW 120A V2 speedo with an 8.5 motor on "stock" software so I can play with the settings.

First 2 heats - fine - going like a wild thing.

3rd heat - cuts out within a couple of laps. Switch it off and back on again and it's fine for a lap. Same problem occurs several times.

Try it in the pits and the problem is now constant - have tried a different sensor lead. Took the voltage protection off the ESC. Even tried a different FrSky receiver as when the car cuts the receiver was flashing red like it had lost bind.

Wiring all looks okay but not removed it to check yet.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-07-2013

what C rating off lipo, which servo using? whats LVC set to?
Old 01-07-2013
Mad Member

LVC removed as I put in my post.

Lipo I think is about 60C - new HPI stick pack.

Servo is a Sanwa ERG-VZ.

As I said - no issues at all in the first 2 races - heat 3 and it all went to pot. Very odd.
Old 01-07-2013
Mad Member

First up well done for holding your cool. Too many posts with fiery red faces as if it is all someone else's fault!

Couple of thigns I would check...

If you used lead-free solder, re-do all the connections on the speedo and the motor. I've had several crack and it's a known problem with lead-free in other applications. You could try giving each wire a sharp tug at each end, but I had one that survived that test but was still able to get a dodgy connection - after a re-solder the problem went away. Use some flux paste if you can, it helps a lot to get a good joint.

Have you checked the sensor board on the motor? You mention the sensor lead, so another place to check is the board. Try another motor if you have one rather than fiddling with the board on the one you've got. If it fixes the problem...

I am not sure this is what you want to hear this, but I had this problem once with an HW, and after that it refused to behave properly at all. Amongst the symptoms was the one you have - it just stops working intermittently. Mine went on a journey back to China and has returned in fine fettle! Contact CPD Racing if you bought it in the UK and ask if they can help. If you didn't buy it in the UK the returns procedure is on the HW website. HTH
Old 02-07-2013
Mad Member

Thanks for your reply Slowone.

I only ever use flux solder - but I am going to pull the ESC out and double check all my wiring. May even take the ESC apart to check the switch wiring is secure.

Can't see why the motor would cause the cutting out issue? As I mentioned in my original post - when the car cuts I lose all power - no steering or anything, but the receiver was flashing red so there was still power to that?

Speedo was bought second hand (from a trusted source mind) so not quite sure where I would send it to be looked at?
Old 02-07-2013

Try fitting a power capasitor to the reciever, this will stabilise the bec voltage and should stop your brown out problem. Had this at RHR last month, took 6 races to bottom the problem, fitted the power cap now all ok.
Old 02-07-2013
Mad Member

Forgot to mention that in my OP - tried that as well with no success
Old 04-07-2013
Mad Member

Well after giving the ESC the once over last night and checking all the wiring, it would appear (fingers crossed) that the problem was as simple as 2 very slightly tired 4mm battery plugs!

Checked everything over, and noticed the banana plugs were discoloured. Not burnt, just more of a copper colour than gold. Changed them as a precaution and the car didn't cut once while ragging it around outside before racing at FORCC.

Heard a few drivers mention they've seen this before and that alternative high voltage connectors are available?