Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 08-03-2011

Talking Tamiya "BIGWIG" build

HI!... I have a tone of NIP Tamiya "BIGWIG" parts laying around so I decided to put one together the way it would of come out of the box back in 1986. I'll post more pics as I dig parts out.

Well I got 85% of the "BIGWIG" put together. Still need a few parts. Still looking for a battery hold down/chassis stiffener, NIP moon craft wheels and a original MSC.

Old 18-05-2011

Cool

HI!... So I got bored and decided to work on the BIGWIG today. I ended up buying a new battery door, got new steering cups, and front bumper. Now all I need is a period correct mechanical speed controller and a set of NIP "MOON CRAFT wheels. The tires are easy to find due to the re-release Boomerang uses the same tires. Teambluegroove reproduces the BIGWIG body so that's not a problem.

17-RC10-,3-BIGWIG,1-GRASSHOPPER,1-GRASSHOPPER II,1-HORNET,2-SUPER HORNET,1-LUNCHBOX,1-MADCAP,1-MINI,2 WILD ONES,1 PORSCHE 9592-BLACKFOOT,1-DARK IMPACT,2-WILD WILLY,1-LOSI DESERT TRUCK,2-E-REVO,1-E-MAXX,3-TAMTECH,1-RUSTLER,1-BACKDRAFT 8E,1-AX10 SCORPION,1-CASTER FUSION EX-1.5R
Old 18-05-2011

Cool

HI!... Well I found some old BIGWIG wheels and tires. The wheels were dyed black due to there rough condition. I still need to fine some NIP ones. While looking for these wheels I found a bunch of BIGWIG stuff I didn't know I had. lol! Enough so that I almost built another one. I need to rebuild it's shocks still, but basically just need bearings and the thin steel plates that hold the ball joints in, and of coarse another set of wheels/tires.

17-RC10-,3-BIGWIG,1-GRASSHOPPER,1-GRASSHOPPER II,1-HORNET,2-SUPER HORNET,1-LUNCHBOX,1-MADCAP,1-MINI,2 WILD ONES,1 PORSCHE 9592-BLACKFOOT,1-DARK IMPACT,2-WILD WILLY,1-LOSI DESERT TRUCK,2-E-REVO,1-E-MAXX,3-TAMTECH,1-RUSTLER,1-BACKDRAFT 8E,1-AX10 SCORPION,1-CASTER FUSION EX-1.5R
Old 18-05-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Very Nice!! i loved my bigwig. I hope there's a technigold and an 8.4 batt going in there too
Old 18-05-2011

My Fave Tamiya!!
Old 18-05-2011

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFF55 View Post
Very Nice!! i loved my bigwig. I hope there's a technigold and an 8.4 batt going in there too
HI!... Yes there is a TECHNIGOLD motor in both of them. They will not be run though. They are both shelf queens. I have a custom aluminum chassis BIGWIG that I use as a runner. It has a brushless/ESC set-up that runs on a 11.1 lipo.
Old 09-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE H.P FREAK View Post
HI!... I have a tone of NIP Tamiya "BIGWIG" parts laying around so I decided to put one together the way it would of come out of the box back in 1986. I'll post more pics as I dig parts out.
are you still after an MSC? i have just got a Bigwig and don't plan to use the MSC. Don't suppose you'd swap for 2 std bearings?
Old 10-09-2011

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bish View Post
are you still after an MSC? i have just got a Bigwig and don't plan to use the MSC. Don't suppose you'd swap for 4 std bearings?
HI!... Is the MSC you have in NEW like condition? That's what I'm looking for. What bearings are you looking for? I have some factoru steel and white plastic ones. Some are used but in great shape. I think I have some new ones. I only run sealed ball bearing in my cars.
Old 10-09-2011

I can get some pics for you if you want? i'm after ball races (the generic SA8 size) I managed to find enough leftovers to do the whole car except the rear gearbox! I have the 850 ones and the diff outdrives are ballraced as std so i only need 2. If not it's no bother, i'll send the MSC anyway if you like as it's not doing anything sitting in my shed!
Old 10-09-2011

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bish View Post
I can get some pics for you if you want? i'm after ball races (the generic SA8 size) I managed to find enough leftovers to do the whole car except the rear gearbox! I have the 850 ones and the diff outdrives are ballraced as std so i only need 2. If not it's no bother, i'll send the MSC anyway if you like as it's not doing anything sitting in my shed!
HI!... Yes post up some pics of the MSC if you can. Anyway you can scan the BIGWIG manual and circle the bearings your exactly looking for? I'm not sure exactly what your needing. I have a ton of original STD steel ball bearings here.

Neal.
Old 10-09-2011

the project looks great - look forward to seeing it all done up!

Cheers,
Ty
Old 11-09-2011

The wear isn't as bad as it looks on the PCB!

Bearings are the std SA8 ones, shown here to replace the BD1 plastic ones :-

Do you use nitro to get the old paint off?