Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 21-05-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Is the rear motor 2wd dead in the UK??

As per title really, anyone still running a rear motor 2wd to good effect in the UK??

With the shorty packs and lighter brushless motors could they be set up to be on the mid motor pace??

At one of the Off Road Wars rounds at Maritime, Stafford and Bloomfield ran their cars (22 and 210) in rear motor layout and were only 0.3 sec off per lap compared to their mid motor cars.

Some pics of current layouts in the US

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 21-05-2013
SHRCCC Legend

0.3 on a Maritime lap (17s) is .75 sec off on a National Track Lap (26s), not disrespecting Maritime but its relevent. My thoughts is yes, on our high grip it is.
Old 21-05-2013
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

While it might be possible to put the same lap time in as a mid motor with a rear motor on high grip, its a lot harder to do so and your driving needs to be more precise, plus you can't push the car anywhere near as hard, mids carry way more corner speed without collapsing also so on some tracks the difference will be even more pronounced.
Old 21-05-2013

I think the only real comparison you have had with this is this years cactus when the only guys not running mid motor were the AE guys, now did they use this as an excuse for not wining, but still being very very competitive or did the mid cars really have an advantage? Another example could be this years Australian national title, this was won by a losi 22 in mid motor on clay beating a field of rear motor cars. I would say personally say that when the grip is up on any surface a mid car will always be quicker to drive, although it isn't impossible to make a mid car fast on low grip, if you can achieve the rear end weight or even close to that of a rear motor car a mid car will work well on low grip as you will get all the benefits of mid motor without the loss of drive and without the pendulum effect a rear motor car has. I have just run a b4.2 on grass with brass front bulkhead, shorty lipo and inline electrics and I was actually quite surprised how good it was, now I am by no means a brilliant driver but im at a stage where I can change the car and notice the difference. I would say at top flight level the margin they are trying to find is so fine its comparative to F1 its so close, so driver ability is also a factor.
Old 21-05-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Some interesting points there above. I should have changed the title to 'Are rear motor cars dead in the UK * apart from the Proline track!

Out of interest do the national front runners get out the rear motor cars in the wet??

I see where your coming from James that the mid motor is easier to drive thus making a more consistent run and maybe to get the best out of rear motor you need to be at the top of your game

I remeber a guy on here made a slim cut down b4 chassis with a shorty pack and a micro 380 sensored motor to reduce the weight out the back, wonder if that ever worked? (Not that it would be brca legal) still an interesting project

www.rccarshop.co.uk