Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 05-01-2016

Default Carpet for 1/10 offroad

Hi All,

I am looking to buy some carpet to set my own track up in a local hall so I can spend some time setting my cars up. Does anyone have any recomendations to what type of carpet suites 1/10 offroad buggies - 2wd and 4wd? Ideally I need something that doesn't turn to fluff but also isn't too thick.

Cheers
Simon
Old 05-01-2016

Hi Simon

We run 1066 Racing in Hastings; indoor 10th off road. Went through this twice in last couple of years! Our first lot of carpet was from a BMW exhibition stand, but not the usual cheap exhibition carpet, quite heavily backed with a rubber ish material. Also more 'corded' than normal racing carpet. It's quite abrasive on tyres but has held up very well to wear and tear.

Our second lot was prima felt, the 10th/12th on road indoor stuff; heavily used with additive the club we bought it from had upgraded to new. It's seen better days for touring cars, but is perfect for off road...We've now got 28x18metres of carpet!!! Big sports hall, very lucky with our venue.

The first lot we found on eBay, the second lot on here. If you want to buy new I suspect exhibition carpet would be the way to go price wise, although the rolls can be 4 metres long so depends on storage etc. It does also move around a bit on the floor as it isn't 'backed' by anything.

I've worked loads of exhibitions over the years; it nearly all goes in the bin the day the event finishes. You could try some of the contractors who build/dismantle the stands, or even the venues themselves. They have to pay to dispose of it so might be glad of someone taking it away.
Old 13-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
Hi Simon

We run 1066 Racing in Hastings; indoor 10th off road. Went through this twice in last couple of years! Our first lot of carpet was from a BMW exhibition stand, but not the usual cheap exhibition carpet, quite heavily backed with a rubber ish material. Also more 'corded' than normal racing carpet. It's quite abrasive on tyres but has held up very well to wear and tear.

Our second lot was prima felt, the 10th/12th on road indoor stuff; heavily used with additive the club we bought it from had upgraded to new. It's seen better days for touring cars, but is perfect for off road...We've now got 28x18metres of carpet!!! Big sports hall, very lucky with our venue.

The first lot we found on eBay, the second lot on here. If you want to buy new I suspect exhibition carpet would be the way to go price wise, although the rolls can be 4 metres long so depends on storage etc. It does also move around a bit on the floor as it isn't 'backed' by anything.

I've worked loads of exhibitions over the years; it nearly all goes in the bin the day the event finishes. You could try some of the contractors who build/dismantle the stands, or even the venues themselves. They have to pay to dispose of it so might be glad of someone taking it away.
Hi,

Thanks for the tips. If I get some carpet that moves around a bit, do you normally tape it down in this regard?

Am I correct in thinking, the thicker the pile, the more grip you get? So I am assuming I need to find some cheap carpet that is almost like felt with very little pile if anything, of course not like the carpet in your house 12mm or so.

Thanks
Simon
Old 13-01-2016

Basically type of carpet you find in exhibitions/shops/offices, industrial, short pile, hard wearing.

We've not used the event carpet that has no backing; I guess it depends what you lay the track out with...if heavy ropes/hoses/bike tyres it might not move.

Otherwise yes, wide tape at either end I guess!