Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > TRUCKS - SC - Truggy - Stadium - Crawler

Old 16-07-2008
Administrator

Default AX10 ARTR

is there a difference between the ARTR and the kit version apart from being pre-built, different shell and orange anodising?
Old 16-07-2008

On Car Action this month, they say:

While built on the same platform, the RTR AX10 is its own truck. Check out these standout features:

- Axial speed control, radio system and servo
- Straight rear axle
- Slipper clutch
- Front differential with included lockers
- Heavy-duty diff lockers
- Higher speed gearing with extra pinion for rock crawling
- Baja Buzzard prepainted body shell

Rusti Design - Awesome custom stickers and cool stuff

My trader feedback
Old 16-07-2008
Administrator

Ah no, I was talking about the ARTR - not the RTR, which I think has a lot more plastic on it etc. not sure what is similar between the ARTR and RTR on that list, but I'm getting myself all confused now
Old 16-07-2008
Mad Member

If you are fancying proper crawling don't bother with the RTR. A slipper clutch and lots of plastic don't make a good crawler.

The ARTR has a few upgrades from the kit, but one part missing. The ARTR has the high clearance links for better ground clearance, the improved heavy duty diff lockers and the new improved straight rear axle. The kit still has the option of 4 wheel steering, although you can still fit the parts to the ARTR and 4 wheel steering isn't allowed for competition use. You also get in the ARTR a better body for more clearance than the kit one and Proline Hammer tyres with memory foam, which work much better than the kit Axial tyres.

And for electrics if you aren't running brushless the Tekin FX-R is the best choice for brushed, the drag brakes mean it just stops where it is when you let go of the throttle. If you fancy brushless then the Castle Creations Mamba Max and Sidewinder ESCs are they way to go, especially as John Holmes will happily program them for crawling for you.
Old 16-07-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to josh_smaxx

I have stuck a mamba in mine on the novak 55t, seems good, just about to plug it in now and see whats what with this missing reverse.
Old 17-07-2008

Hi terry,

I fancy having a go at crawling,and was interested in the AX10 ARTR...when will this be avaliable in the UK??...also have you got a contact for john holmes,as i have a mamba max i could send him.also what motor do you recommend with this esc,as looking to do a few competitions??

Cheers simon
Old 17-07-2008

sorry,just clicked on the john holmes link!
Old 17-07-2008
Administrator

What does John actually do to the MM? and what brushless motor is good - Oh, and is brushed better or brushless?
Old 17-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Ah no, I was talking about the ARTR - not the RTR, which I think has a lot more plastic on it etc. not sure what is similar between the ARTR and RTR on that list, but I'm getting myself all confused now
Sorry for the bad info

Rusti Design - Awesome custom stickers and cool stuff

My trader feedback
Old 17-07-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon View Post
Hi terry,

I fancy having a go at crawling,and was interested in the AX10 ARTR...when will this be avaliable in the UK??...
It's supposed to be available in the UK at the end of July/ beginning of August. I don't know why as it's been available from Hong Kong for some time now.

As for motors usually something around 55 turns is a good starting point. In my 2.2 I use 60T motors with 8 cells to get extra wheel speed. Personally I quite fancy the new Junfac motors which look pretty and work out at £20.50 delivered to the UK.
Old 17-07-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
What does John actually do to the MM? and what brushless motor is good - Oh, and is brushed better or brushless?
With Johns experience of crawler electrics he sets the throttle curve/drag brake/lipo cutoff if needed depending on what motor and what voltage(some run up to 14v!) you are running to give the best possible control. Brushless outrunners generate much more torque than inrunner motors like the Novak, Holmes Hobbies produce a range of motors designed specifically for crawlers. I'd suggest emailing him but it looks like he's on holiday until the 27th. He had plenty of emails and phone calls from the UK in the run up to the nationals.

Brushed v brushless is just like in buggies, except you take the maintenance out of the discussion. I'm sticking with brushed as it does the job fine for me and having twin motor crawlers means if I went brushless I'd also need two ESCs in each, but many swear by brushless outrunners which generate much more torque, have a better drag brake and usually can produce much more wheel speed when you need it. Brushed usually has smoother throttle control at low speeds though.