Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 28-09-2010

Default Shaftdriven 4wd, motor position?

Seriously, I want to know!
Can someone explain how the motor rotational direction affects the car's balance in conjunction with the center drive shaft? Or does it not matter cuz the two equals each other out?

What is the best solution? Like AE, Tamiya, HB and now caster have done. The motor placed on the right side of the centre drive shaft. Or like Durango and Kyosho have done. They have gone the opposite way. Kyosho still on the right side but facing the axle towards front instead. That will give the same result as Durango who have placed the motor on the left side.

In my book it seems like Kyosho and Durango got it right and the others got it wrong. Am I totally wrong here or does it exist some sort of truth to it?

If I were to construct a new car I would be very interested to know these things before I start. Hope you understand what I am after here.
Old 28-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

In my experience with the BJ4 and BJ4 Worlds if the car has saddle pack cells you don't really feel it's effect when driving the car. With the old stick pack car you really felt it and had to compensate for it with the steering when jumping to stop it getting too far sideways, with saddles at the back like the BJ4/B44 it's never an issue
Old 28-09-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red View Post
Seriously, I want to know!
Can someone explain how the motor rotational direction affects the car's balance in conjunction with the center drive shaft? Or does it not matter cuz the two equals each other out?

What is the best solution? Like AE, Tamiya, HB and now caster have done. The motor placed on the right side of the centre drive shaft. Or like Durango and Kyosho have done. They have gone the opposite way. Kyosho still on the right side but facing the axle towards front instead. That will give the same result as Durango who have placed the motor on the left side.

In my book it seems like Kyosho and Durango got it right and the others got it wrong. Am I totally wrong here or does it exist some sort of truth to it?

If I were to construct a new car I would be very interested to know these things before I start. Hope you understand what I am after here.
Doesn't make any difference, either orientation is going to encourage the car to tip to one side.

But the effect of the wheels and tyres is far, far greater than the effect of the motor so it doesn't really matter. In on-road it makes a car quite sensitive to throttle changes, in off-road it just means that the drivetrain is easier to seal!