Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 04-08-2014

Default Lipo battery rattling in case

Hi there, over the weekend racing I noticed one of the stick pack lipos started to rattle.

The case is not cracked, swollen and has not changed size at all but the cells inside it (or something else is moving about)

Now these are simple hobby wing zippo lipos and nothing special but is there a major issue Here or am I just being paranoid?

Me and my son race off road and there a quite a few jumps so I'm guessing it's not going to get any better unless I can open the pack.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 05-08-2014

Not used stick packs much but the cells could of had a bit of adhesive inside thats cracked, maybe a bit hot glue in them will sort it
Old 05-08-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob View Post
Not used stick packs much but the cells could of had a bit of adhesive inside thats cracked, maybe a bit hot glue in them will sort it
Nooooo! On no account put anything at that sort of temperature or above next to the unprotected cell pouch. The risk is that it affects the plastic separators that may then melt locally under the heat. Hot glue is hot enough to burn skin, so too hot to go next to a cell.

I would be a bit concerned about a rattly cell, as the constant banging against the hard surface of the case could deform the edge of the pouch and cause a local short circuit. At best the cell gets wrecked, at worst the short starts a fire.

If it is obviously the cell moving, and not a connector or wire, I would retire it gracefully from competitive action and use it to power something stationary - tyre truer, soldering iron, pit light or just for setting up electrics and suspension in the car on the bench. HTH
Old 05-08-2014

Yeah maybe hot glue isnt a good idea, i would personally do that though at my own risk although if they are old cells i guess i would ditch them.