Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 14-08-2010

Go on then!

You can't say that and then say nothing, you'll be leaving us in suspenders!
Old 16-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Such a shame, helped me so much and for that I will always be greatful.

Good luck with what ever the future brings for you, genuinely excellent guys to deal with on all levels
Old 18-08-2010
Mad Member

I am shocked in the way Microtech has gone so suddenly. I am in a company where we are finding the current economic climate very hard and I have had to scale back my RC racing because of it. I feel for all in the same position.
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!
Old 18-08-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Time for customs and excise to start taxing more items that state they are worth £30 when they are worth more like £400 etc.

This would then discourage the dodgy buying from abroad that some people do.
Old 18-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
Time for customs and excise to start taxing more items that state they are worth £30 when they are worth more like £400 etc.

This would then discourage the dodgy buying from abroad that some people do.
???? how can you do that? If a package comes in, stating a £30 price, unless they open, unpack, investigate prices, tally, repack and then give you a correct invoice, then also chase up who filled in the invoice incorrectly, you would lose money on it rather than gain....!!!

And again, how would this resolve issue's like Tamiya parts?
Old 18-08-2010

I know it's not really feasible, but I wasn't stating a particular brand or item. It would be nice for all goods (not just RC Cars). So the country stands a chance of getting out of debt.

I'm not stating how it should be done, just that less money should be lost at the UK borders...
Old 18-08-2010

It isn't the amount of imports that is the issue Mike, it is the cost of running a business in the UK that is.... if that got reduced, then it would allow companies to be more 'competitive' in their respective fields.

I really don't think that people buying spares overseas is an issue, as you first got to prove that they would by the stuff in the UK first, and I am guessing, they wasn't, so it isn't they lost those sales, they never had them in the first place. I personally feel this is a 'Credit Crunch' issue, where maybe the Bank was reducing it's assistance.
Old 18-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
so it isn't they lost those sales, they never had them in the first place.
So on a bigger scale if everyone bought abroad instead of in the UK that isn't sales lost as you say.
Old 18-08-2010

Let me think.... not 'everyone' buys abroad, there are certain things you just 'can not get reliably' in the UK, so you buy them where you can.

When people go on about this, you all 'assume' that we would go and buy these items in XYZ model shop, but it just isn't going to happen, like the music industry and pirating, they don't actually 'lose' money, they just are not having your money, as in reality, you would never buy it in the first place.

I use my Local Model Shop (which is in the next town along), and do try to support, but running Tamiya I have learnt to invest in spares than rely on the Distributor/shop to have stock. On my B4, I carry far less, as I know the car is supported and can get the parts within days.

So in the end, those Tamiya parts purchases were never destined for the UK at any real point in time (although I do search), so it isn't a purchase they lost, they just never had.
Old 18-08-2010

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
I know it's not really feasible, but I wasn't stating a particular brand or item. It would be nice for all goods (not just RC Cars). So the country stands a chance of getting out of debt.

I'm not stating how it should be done, just that less money should be lost at the UK borders...

i bring some stuff in to sell legit for 10th ic and it costs me a fortune to bring em in. carnt get em in the uk otherwise.

most of what we buy is from outside the uk.
Old 19-08-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
???? how can you do that? If a package comes in, stating a £30 price, unless they open, unpack, investigate prices, tally, repack and then give you a correct invoice, then also chase up who filled in the invoice incorrectly, you would lose money on it rather than gain....!!!

And again, how would this resolve issue's like Tamiya parts?
That's exactly what they do! The last two parcels I received (both opened and re-taped) were from a US company sending me things for review in Racer. In both cases the duty was the right amount for the US price converted into ££, and then there was the customs charge and then the handling charge and then the carriers admin fee. The 'free' car cost me almost £60!! The last time I did what Mark does...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
i bring some stuff in to sell legit for 10th ic and it costs me a fortune to bring em in. carnt get em in the uk otherwise.

most of what we buy is from outside the uk.
...they added duty (correctly calculated from the invoice) then handling charge then admin fee then VAT on all of that.

People live in some dream world where they think that because a price overseas converted into ££ looks cheap, that's what it costs. No longer. This is a major area for HMG to create revenue, and they will. They can now add VAT to the duty, and they will not hesitate to come down on any vendor who regularly ships large parcels with $30 value on them. And that's before you get no warranty, no comeback, and a huge bill if you want something replaced.

I only buy, like DCM and Mark, things I can't get here. The cost is no less than UK prices. These days, thanks to AMC in Devon, that's getting less and less. As for Microtech, that is such a great shame - good luck to Kev and KRob.
Old 19-08-2010
Mad Member

Just got back off holiday and heard this terrible news. I purchased >90% of my stuff from Microtech and this is a sad loss. Company House website shows no change in their status (in receivership etc).
Old 20-08-2010

Have a look here for an example of a UK company importing stuff from HK/China at great prices:

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/index.php

If they can do it, why can't others? The site has live stock levels and even customer ratings, great service too!

OK, they don't sell any serious car stuff, but maybe they would if enough of us asked for it.
Also, for all I know they maybe on the brink of bankruptcy. After all, there was absolutely no warning that Microtech were about to go under.

Still can't understand it... very shocking and sad.
Old 20-08-2010

You only have to look at the company balance sheets to see that from 2005-on stock reduced to such a level that they were by 2009 essentially insolvent ie; the company owed more than that what it had in assets (eg. stock). Assets plummeting and debts soaring just leads to one thing...

Personally I don't think this is 'credit crunch' related, although it probably didn't help matters.

Sad to see another model shop / website go.
Old 20-08-2010

It doesn't help when everyone wants a discount or "mates rates" though.
Old 20-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Is it really polite of us to be discussing balance sheets and the companies finances here?

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 20-08-2010

Chrissy, when it comes to matters of "appropirate comments" on forums, let me introduce you to two friends of mine, one is Mr Kettle, and one is Mr Pot.

"Hello Mr Kettle"

"Hello Mr Pot"

Last edited by sldmodels; 20-08-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 20-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

^^^^^

Neigher of those fine gentlemen could be accurately described as of african decendency by any chance could they????

Old 20-08-2010

Ah, think you're thinking of Mr Black, yes, I think he could be.
Old 20-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I do think that we should shop trying to drag up such things when discussing a company that;

a) many of us used regularly with more than satisfactory experiences
b) run by such friendly and helpful people who would take the time to advise even if your wallet wasn't with you
c) listened to their customers and gave them what they asked for (great website etc.)

Can I respectfully ask everybody to consider what they post here and if they are happy that they would say it directly to Kev / KRob over a pint then post away .. if not consider why not before putting figners to keys please .

Consider the feelings of those involved and offer them at least the same respect they would offer you, customer or not. Thanks