Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 09-06-2008

Default speed passion LPF esc

hi,

I'm currently running a speed passion LPF GT brushless speedo with a 10.5 motor, in a b44 on a grass track.

It's perfectly fine, but speedwise i'm getting blown into the weeds on straight sections.

is anyone else running this speedo, and using a hotter motor? I'm thinking 5.5.

the specs for the speedo say it can cope with a 5.5, but I'd prefer the opinion of someone who has run this combo in the real world!

I'm running the trakpower 3200 lipo cells also. at the moment, I'm only needing 900 ~ 1000 mah topups between heats, so they should be able to easily cope with the increased current draw
Old 09-06-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm_2008 View Post
hi,

It's perfectly fine, but speedwise i'm getting blown into the weeds on straight sections.
what pinion/spur do you have on the car?
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 09-06-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chequered Flag Racing View Post
what pinion/spur do you have on the car?
i'm running the standard B44 spur - 84 tooth? with a 19 tooth pinion. loads of torque, punchy out of the corners - but a meagre top end!

I'd like to stick with the 10.5 if possible, in order to save a few quid - and I've never liked getting involved in power battles

motor was slightly warm to the touch after runs yesterday. I'm totally new to brushless, and relatively new to offroad, so am I undergearing the motor?
Old 09-06-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

a 10.5 would be pretty slow outside, however it would make a great indoor motor I would imagine. Have a look at 7.5 or maybe 6.5 Light from Novak. I ran a 7.5 Light indoors on Friday, and it was very slightly too quick, however it was an open 18th scale track.
Old 09-06-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

couple of quotes from another forum

Quote:
Hi there,i run at an indoor club,i want to run my 10.5 untill i decide if im going to get a 5.5 a 6.5 or a 7.5,its a novak ss10.5 with an lrp saphire on a std spur, it says on the novak brushless website that with a 4wd on a 10.5 i should be aiming for a FDR of 8,could some one let me know what pinion this would work out at,i know its more to do with temp,but just a starting point would be handy

Quote:
I'd start with a 22/84 on a small track and go up from there depending on the motor temperature. You can decide if this advice is worth while based on my last recommendations. The 10.5 is very similar to a 19 spec. with the exception of having a little more on top and slightly longer run times. When I ran stock at the Clash I think I was at 25/84 with a 19 money and never went over 200F after a 10 minute main. I hope this is helpful and thanks for checking out

looks like you need to gear up

I run a 10.5 in 12th pancar and with the right gearing I was able to keep with or pass to two guys of same ability running a 5.5 & 6.5, only losing out by about 4ft on the straight but make it all back up in the twisty stuff
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 09-06-2008

righto then - i'll try gearing up a bit - thanks for the advice guys.

the main straight at my club is about 25m - I did make some silly mistakes - but when I was able to get into a rhythmn, the laptimes were there. I can't fault the car - the broken trackrod end and the runaway front wheel were kind of my own fault. the only explanation for the 2/10ths of a second lapses on the fastest laps have to be lack of top end speed.

I'm learning that rc racing is a lot about being able to clear your head of clutter. if I could do that, I think I'd be reasonably quick.

maybe I'll race with an IPOD in one ear, playing buddist chants or something.*

*idea copyright me 2008 (lol)
Old 10-06-2008

I placed an order for a 6.5 today

I just hope it doesn't all end with a broken car or speed controller!
Old 10-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

how do you find the speedo? has it been reliable? was going to get one for my bj4 as my lrp/nosram is in TC.

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 10-06-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Headling View Post
how do you find the speedo? has it been reliable? was going to get one for my bj4 as my lrp/nosram is in TC.
I've used it at two club meets, and it's been superb. when I install the 6.5, that'll be a better test.

it comes off runs cool to the touch, and the brakes are also pretty good. the setup program card interface is also quite clever. for the money, i'd recommend it
Old 14-06-2008

Default LPF with 5.5T

Ran my LPF with an Orion 5.5T in 4WD offroad last night and it worked very well. There's certainly enough power there. No problems with heat, the motor was ok to touch at the the end of a run, I'm guessing around 50 deg C. I'm running mine with the heat protection enabled, maximum timing advance (setpoint 8), start mode - progressive level 6.
The track was indoor, part carpet, part polished with a few jumps, so I was only drawing about 1700mAh in 5 mins. I'll report back when I get the chance to run on a faster track.

edit: gearing was 12:1

Last edited by Si G; 14-06-2008 at 08:13 AM. Reason: gearing added
Old 17-07-2008

Default Update

Ran the LPF in 4WD at the weekend with 5.5T on an outdoor track. And on the one round I finished it had drawn ~2500 mAh (the DNFs were due to poor jumping technique and an overtightened slipper rather than any ESC issues).

The motor came off quite warm at the end, but was still able to keep the fingers on it, so would have been comfortable gearing up 1 or 2 teeth.

I originally bought the LPF as a stop-gap while I waited for the Tekin RS to be released, but now I'm running it I can see no reason to switch.