Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 19-08-2008

Default RB5 shopping list

Greetings rc-heads!

I'm in for a bit of shopping. Thought I'd try and join in on the 1:10 offroad scene as well. My question is, what should I order right away with my new RB5 to be? I guess you could place the items in two categories:

Spare parts
Arms?
Uprights?
Casterblocks?
...?

Tuning options
Springs?
Pinions?
Spurs?
Tires? (Outdoor dirt track and indoor carpet usage.)
...?

I'll be running on LiPo and 6,5 turn brushless.

Thanks for any help on this. My order will be placed tomorrow.

-S-
Old 19-08-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

spares, rear shock towers, front wishbones, front hubs

upgrades - B4 FT titanium turnbuckles are a direct fit and save weight (the RB5 is a heavy car). ceramic diff balls are nice as kyosho ones aren't great. Springs, you could get a set of losi springs as they are a bit more consistant than kyosho's bizarre range. Also atomic carbon do nice shock towers, these are more bling than essential.

apart from that it's a pretty solid car

tyres wise, for dirt is would be some form of proline tyre i guess, but we don;t run on dirt in the UK. for carpet, sch yellow minipins are the best, but may be a little twitchy, in which case use sch yellow mini spike.

oh, and stick 30g of lead in the nose of the car to improve steering response. you may need to weight the back also to compensate for the lipo

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 19-08-2008

Hi, I'm in the same shopping process with the same car () and I have a doubt about Lipo fit RB5 (I looked for the answer in some fora, but did not find it).
Does the trakpower saddle pack fit in RB5? (both 3200 and 4800)
I also un a B44 and it would be quite handy to have only 1 kind of battery for the 2 cars
Thanks in advance
Old 19-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim76 View Post
spares, rear shock towers, front wishbones, front hubs

upgrades - B4 FT titanium turnbuckles are a direct fit and save weight (the RB5 is a heavy car). ceramic diff balls are nice as kyosho ones aren't great. Springs, you could get a set of losi springs as they are a bit more consistant than kyosho's bizarre range. Also atomic carbon do nice shock towers, these are more bling than essential.

..snip..
Thanks for the prompt answer Jim!

I've been eyeballing the Atomic Carbon shock towers. If I do spring for those, will I still need extra ones as spare, or are they generally bombproof?

Will the Associated titanium turnbuckles fit into the Kyosho plastic ends, or do I buy those from Associated as well?

Will the Losi springs fit without mods? I believe I've read something about cutting coils. I generally don't like modifying parts. If not, are we talking about the springs for the XXX-CR?

-S-
Old 19-08-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

i had the atomic shock towers and i have broken both the front and rear. no idea how i did the front as it barely sticks up! So yes they do break, but it depends on the track you race at and the severity of the jumps!
I've gone back to the kit ones as they are far cheaper and must admit i don't miss the additional holes on the atomic ones.

The turnbuckles are a direct fit. You can use the kyosho ball cups as the associated ones are imperial size. One tip i did forget is for the rear inner camber link, try and get a ball joint with a hex in it (one you can do up like a screw with a hex driver) as this makes moving it far easier, you can;t get to it with a box wrench after the car is assembled! I picked up some HPI ones and the corresponding ball cups.

Not sure on the losi springs, i run the kyosho ones, but do find their range a little odd at times, especially as they are different from ZX5 to RB5 for the same colours!
there is a comparison chart on here somewhere which may help if you already have some springs from other cars.

Have a look through the Kyosho section, there were quite a few threads with build tips from RogerM and others, and also set up guides.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 19-08-2008

Excellent Jim, good stuff. I'm taking notes.
Old 19-08-2008

If you are doing a new build you might want to add these pieces.

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10809

Leigh
Old 19-08-2008

Send a message via MSN to super sparks Send a message via Skype™ to super sparks
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by federico1974 View Post
Hi, I'm in the same shopping process with the same car () and I have a doubt about Lipo fit RB5 (I looked for the answer in some fora, but did not find it).
Does the trakpower saddle pack fit in RB5? (both 3200 and 4800)
I also un a B44 and it would be quite handy to have only 1 kind of battery for the 2 cars
Thanks in advance
hi federico in my rb 5 i use the core rc 5000mah lipo it fits like a dream lovly and tight it does not move at all and that is with the original battery bar

lrp - novak - spektrum 2.4 ghz
KYOSHO ZX-5 SP x2
KYOSHO RB-5 sp + sp2
KYOSHO INFERNO NEO

BATLEY BUGGY CLUB
Old 19-08-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

handy to know. never tried a lipo yet, so couldn't comment on that question!

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 19-08-2008

i currently use the orion 3200 lipo in my rb5. no fit issues too.
but have not tried a saddle pack lipo on the rb5 .. if i get the chance to try them then i will let you know.

jim has hit all valid points regarding the parts. the standard front & rear shock towers are unbelievably strong. don't underestimate them!

re weight - yes, was very surprised by its weight when used with LRP Sphere Comp, Spektrum RX, standard size servo, IB4200s, novak 13.5SS ... 1700g+!!
Old 20-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by caneye View Post
i currently use the orion 3200 lipo in my rb5. no fit issues too.
but have not tried a saddle pack lipo on the rb5 .. if i get the chance to try them then i will let you know.
If you could try them and coment it (and possibly also the 4800) that would be great, in my club noone is currently using them so I cannot try