Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > JConcepts

Old 08-04-2009

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo
Default BJ4 (non-WE) chassis replacement options

Hello all,

I've just acquired a rather battered BJ4 (non-WE) and was disappointed to find the main chassis was tweaked. The previous owner must have known about it, because the shocks had been adjusted to compensate.

First of all, is this likely to be an issue? I'll be testing the car later, but with no frame of reference, is this likely to hurt the handling?

If it is better to get a replacement, what are the options? I know I can get one directly from JConcepts, though I am unsure how much shipping and customs (USA>UK) will increase the price by. Are there any other makers of compatible chassis?

I've also considering making one out of G10 sheets (3.2mm think) - the car is for use on polished wood, so a little extra flex is no bad thing to improve grip.

Finally, if anyone has one going spare, let me know.
Old 08-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

You will need to change it really, or the car will turn differently left and right.

Best bet is getting one direct from JC, or you could buy the worlds edition conversion and have some spares left over
Old 08-04-2009

I have a NIP chassis available, £30 delivered.
pm me bitch, or is it past your bedtime?
Old 08-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post
...or you could buy the worlds edition conversion and have some spares left over
Any idea where I could get one? JConcepts don't have it listed on their site, and I suspect buying the individual components wouldn't be worth it.
Old 08-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmo View Post
Any idea where I could get one? JConcepts don't have it listed on their site, and I suspect buying the individual components wouldn't be worth it.
Never mind, seems it's out of stock, and it'll cost too much for my budget anyway.

I'm now in a quandary - get the car patched up (the offer of the replacement chassis is great, thanks!), or sell it again (got it for £60) and buy a Kyosho SP at my local club for £100?

Edit: Point of note - I'm a newb racer, so small issues with handling will likely not matter. However, big issues with handling will matter - I've been struggling with getting a car that handles on a slippery floor, and want to take the handling out of the equation, to allow me to work on my skills.
Old 08-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

You'd be much better getting the chassis from Dom than replacing the car with a Lazer - at risk of taking a lot of flak the BJ4 is a far superior car

If you need any help with setup's or part numbers ect shoot me a PM and I'll do my best to help you out
Old 08-04-2009

At the risk of sounding biased, keep the BJ4. It's a very good car (I'm not going to get into the Kyosho is king debate...) and when you need them, spares will be easier to get. All the parts you are likely to need in the course of a normal race season are Associated or Losi and can be bought from any decent model shop. Kyosho spares seem to be harder to source.
pm me bitch, or is it past your bedtime?
Old 08-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post
You'd be much better getting the chassis from Dom than replacing the car with a Lazer - at risk of taking a lot of flak the BJ4 is a far superior car

If you need any help with setup's or part numbers ect shoot me a PM and I'll do my best to help you out
Thanks, Richard - my stubborn streak is telling me to get the car running and hang the expense - £90 for such a car is not so bad (I got a TowerPro MG995 servo and spare B44 front arms; the front tower is cracked, but should last a good while yet and there are lots of replacement options for that, so not such a terrible deal).

First things first, I'll get the car running, and see how it goes. I'll likely get the chassis off Dom, and your offer of setups will be fully utilised...!
Old 09-04-2009

I'm such a noob - under advice from a club mate, I loosened the bottom deck and it flattened right out. If there's any tweak left, it's almost imperceptible to the eye.