Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 20-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default HELP petrol in diesel tank

Felling knackered in the heat I have just put 4.19 lt of petrol in my diesel by mistake. I immediatley topped it up with another 33.6 lt of diesel 12.5% ratio. It did 5.1 miles home fro tesco,s and did not splutter a bit and normal fuel return for that journey was 50-53mpg so even that was spot on .
Will I get away with this as I,ve heard you can with petrol in a diesel but not deisel in a petrol car , and as the ratio of petrol/diesel is 12.5% mixed will it be thinned out enough
Old 20-04-2009

i honestly dont know but i got my fingers crossed for u m8

XX4, XXX4 AND B44

supporting r/c in the midlands
Old 20-04-2009

Buy small bottle of oil & put in your tank!
YOU MUST not over rev engine and keep topping tank up with fuel.
My dad did the same thing twice !!!
Takes about 1-2 weeks to run it out the system doing motorway runs.
His van is 99 not sure about newer engines.
Hope helps
Old 20-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

What sort of oil, this is a ford c-max on a 55 plate 2.0 Tdci
Old 20-04-2009

Any cheap oil will do as its just to mix with petrol in tank.
I would try with half bottle first as theres not that much petrol in your tank, as my dad filled his diesel tank with petrol to the top! lol yes was funny as he was 200miles from home LOL.
You must keep revs very low as Petrol burns hotter than diesel and will damage engine.
All this info was told to us from the garage we use and worked fine.
Old 20-04-2009
Mad Member

there are a number of websites that advocates using petrol in a diesel tank as a method to cleanse the injectors. None of the website report problems when only a small amount is used, and those websites "suggest" no more than 10litres to a full tank of diesel. Apparently diesel injector cleaner is chemically very close to petrol anyway, but with added lubricant.

None of the websites however mention adding oil to your diesel.

It would appear to me that you have nothing to worry about, but if you haven't already, fill up your tank completely with diesel to dilute the petrol still further.

I looked into this recently when I purchased a diesel van that was smoking a little at low speeds. Didn't use petrol in the end, I bought diesel injector cleaner to be on the safe side!
Old 20-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Was wondering if I left the fuel cap open as its a hot day if petrol would evaporate out of tank but my mate told me it has an anti syphoning valve so prob not
Also it only revs 2000rpm at 75 mph so low reving may not be too hard to do
Old 20-04-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

on the AA site

Quote:
Petrol in Diesel

Do not turn on the ignition or start the car
If the car's still under warranty you should check with the franchised dealer regarding their advice and correct remedial action – running with even a small amount of petrol in the tank might invalidate the warranty while some manufacturers advise that seals and filters should be renewed even if the engine has not been run.
Generally a small amount of incorrect fuel should not damage the engine as long as you have not started the car and top up fully with diesel fuel.
  • If you've added more than 10% (5 litres in a 50 litre tank) petrol – Drain the tank and refill with diesel
  • If you've added less than 10% petrol (5 litres in a 50 litre tank) – Top up with diesel and run normally unless the manufacturer has advised otherwise
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 20-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

As it stands I put in 4.19 lt of petrol before I realised. I then brimmed it to the top with 36.60lt of diesel. The tank holds 53lt so its about 7.9% petrol to diesel mix or 1/12th. I have run it home 5.1 miles and felt no problems at 50mph well under 2000rpmI have just read the same in an AA article so hopefully am ok
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...sfuelling.html
Old 20-04-2009

Burgie's post seems good news for you. I only said add oil as we were told to do so and it work fine for us, but they did say make sure the tank was kept full with diesel for 2-3 weeks.
warranty is some think to check.
I think you will be fine if you just keep tank full.

Last edited by MATTY; 20-04-2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: missing text
Old 20-04-2009

I used to work on recovery for the RAC, and we got one of these in everyday, because its such a small amount of petrol added to the diesel you should be ok, but if you'd put any more in, you'd need the tank draining which was about £125 when i was on recovery,
you shouldn't need to add any oil, we never, i'd say you've got nothing to worry about
Old 20-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Well my heart rate is dropping now and im feeling a bit more optimistic about it. I will keep topping it up every 40 miles and hope for the best.
Thanks for replies
Old 20-04-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

i work for ford as a master tech..................
official line is drain tank and fill with the correct fuel. if its been run till it stops new fuel system
if its been run and not stopped on its own drain and refil

irreleivant or warranty, if you take itto a dealer its recorded, it you do as i say below, ford wont ever know any how

this is what i would do if i had a dime bar moment.

fill it with diesel and run it as you are, top up with diesel as often as you can to dilute the remaining petrol.

it WILL be ok so dont worry, we have had loads like this, years ago petrol used to be added to diesel to stop thickening of the fuel, now a days with the addatives in it you dont neeed to.

the waorse case you may have is hard start from cold but you have only a small amount of pertrol, the main thing with your engine is to keep the pump/injecters lube. not enough petrol to harm that.

DONOT add any oil into the tank, that is utter bollox, engine oil had no properties to lube your fuel system, nor does it mix with fuel correctly.

keep your tank toppped up with diesel and dont worry mate
Old 20-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Moments like these are Oople moments . When your in the shit and cant call superman, a distress call on Oople can help you out more than 118
Thanks to all who replied. Hopefully I wont put diesel in my new bike when I fill it up tomorrow
Old 20-04-2009
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
i work for ford as a master tech..................
official line is drain tank and fill with the correct fuel. if its been run till it stops new fuel system
if its been run and not stopped on its own drain and refil

irreleivant or warranty, if you take itto a dealer its recorded, it you do as i say below, ford wont ever know any how

this is what i would do if i had a dime bar moment.

fill it with diesel and run it as you are, top up with diesel as often as you can to dilute the remaining petrol.

it WILL be ok so dont worry, we have had loads like this, years ago petrol used to be added to diesel to stop thickening of the fuel, now a days with the addatives in it you dont neeed to.

the waorse case you may have is hard start from cold but you have only a small amount of pertrol, the main thing with your engine is to keep the pump/injecters lube. not enough petrol to harm that.

DONOT add any oil into the tank, that is utter bollox, engine oil had no properties to lube your fuel system, nor does it mix with fuel correctly.

keep your tank toppped up with diesel and dont worry mate
DITO - the correct advise is this one - do not put oil in - just keep on topping up with diesel - run to half a tank and top up again and again - don't worry it will be fine through a couple of tanks - Regards Tony Evdoka
Old 20-04-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTY View Post
Buy small bottle of oil & put in your tank!
YOU MUST not over rev engine and keep topping tank up with fuel.
My dad did the same thing twice !!!
Takes about 1-2 weeks to run it out the system doing motorway runs.
His van is 99 not sure about newer engines.
Hope helps
Dude, where have you read that from..

Oil would cause the car to smoke more than my previous Novak GTb's have.

Iv filled cars with petrol by accident in the past, and once its ran out, car was back to normal...

I would deffo say nothing to worry about it.

Col.
RC18T
Lunchbox Gold
X-6 squared
Lrp, Novak, Robitronic, Ko Propo, Ezrun , Trakpower ,Team Scream, Demon, Microtech, Dms, Good old Jezza, Je-Spares, Bolton Model Mart,

My Feedback http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25199
Old 20-04-2009

I did this to a brand new company car that was only about 2 months old, put in around 1 gallon in a very empty tank by mistake and topped up to brim with diesel. I never noticed any difference and was still going 197,000 miles and 3 years later when we sold it.

Kev
Old 20-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Well , just got back from an 86 mile round trip to llandudno, No problems at all. Kept the cruise control on at 60mph 1650rpm in 6th gear, no noticable differance except even with cruise and air con on my mpg went up from normally about 45-47 on that run to 58.3 mpg going via rhos on sea and town centre ???? Am I on to something here . Petrol the new redux for diesel lol
Old 20-04-2009
Lee-Mag

I put £20 in a brand new passat a few years ago, i just called VW assist and then hired a car using the company card

I got some abuse for that

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 20-04-2009
Lee-Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgit View Post
Well , just got back from an 86 mile round trip to llandudno, No problems at all. Kept the cruise control on at 60mph 1650rpm in 6th gear, no noticable differance except even with cruise and air con on my mpg went up from normally about 45-47 on that run to 58.3 mpg going via rhos on sea and town centre ???? Am I on to something here . Petrol the new redux for diesel lol
And its about 10p a litre cheaper, you could save 50p every tank

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com