Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 24-07-2009

Default essential hop ups

hi guys, iv got a tamia durga, and am going to run a 7700kv brushless motor on it, im just starting to get into it, but i seem to have great controll over the stock one, but im ready to move to something good, ok, what are the essential hop ups i would need to run a 7700kv motor, i might get lipo, if you can suggest one.
Old 24-07-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Will you be racing or bashing around a car park?

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 24-07-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Definitely upgrade to the clutch to protect your diffs.
Upgrading the rear diff halves to the 3 racing or Tamiya 501x all metal ones is also recommended.
Apart from that, nothing is really essential.
Old 24-07-2009

Well, for bashing or racing, you'll need a Slipper Clutch (or the Double Slipper) for a 7700 kv, and you might want to invest in the TRF501 diff halves for the rear diff too, unless you've glued 'em up good. Perhaps the reinforced drive belts too.

Other than that, CVDs are nice, better shocks a must for racing, and you might want to consider some carbon reinforced or alu suspension mounts/blocks, although the standard plastic stuff is already really tough.
Old 24-07-2009

ima be doing bit of moth.. bit of racing bit of car park lol, im new to this, will a 7700kv motor be too much? cause i looove speed also, what shocks would i get, cant find any...
Old 24-07-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

In terms of shocks, see if you can pick up a secondhand pair of Associated B4 shocks. They fit pretty much straight on and work great.

I have Losi shocks on mine, the non threaded ones, as they are a lot cheaper than the threaded version. Work just as well!
Old 24-07-2009

ok, cool, should i go with lipo, or nihm, i have had pretty much no experiance, so should iget lipo, and also should i get the 7700kv motor, or a losi 6.5t or 8.5t, as iv never done racing ect.
Old 24-07-2009

I would recomend getting a Losi 10.5 system with a good lipo such as a vampire lipo from DMS http://www.dms-racing.com/

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 24-07-2009

im in the uk, so i would rather get things from uk sites... i was thinking of maybe buying a 8.5t motor, losi... you think? wait, is dms uk based? if so, should i get the 10.5 or 6.5, i just wanna be able to belt it along, have some fun and race... best optien for begginner... also, if i were to buy from dms, and bought like a lipo charger, battery and motor, what delivery would i choose???
Old 24-07-2009

7700kv is too fast a 5700kv would be good enuf
Old 24-07-2009

ok, well i think i am going for a 10.5t losibrushless, w/ 5300mah vampire lipo, now need a charger for 70 quid..., oh and by the way, iv got tamiya plugs, should i do some soldering and put deans plugs on or will i be fine?
Old 24-07-2009

The vampire lipo will come with corrally connectors so your best bet is Corrally conectors. Im not sure if the losi speedo's come with connectors.
As for postage i would select Large items- small kits etc 2kg - 7kg. The guys and girls at the shop will make sure its right.

A

Old 24-07-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

10.5 will be fine to start and the speedo will be ok for faster motors when you are ready.
I believe that the Vampire lipo uses corrally style connectors so you will need some of those.

I've used the Trakpower charger and balancer which have been fine, nice and simple to use! But if you choose something else, make sure it has a balancer.
Old 24-07-2009

ok, by the way, i was looking at some nitro cars, and i was wondering what t or kv would the motor have to be to compete speed wise with them... (inc vampire 5300 comp lipo pac)
Old 24-07-2009

Something like a 5.5 or 6.5 depending on the nitro car in question.

DMS-Racing are UK based.
Old 24-07-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Well Andy (Tamiya4Guy) runs a Losi 4.5t in his Baldre (same chassis as the Durga) and swears its faster than his Hyper 7 - certainly looks faster than my ST-1! Thats using a similar Lipo (Demon).

BUT

He's just started racing and feels its a bit too much. Last night racing indoors he never went past 25% throttle.

SO

For being faster than a Nitro 4,5t-6,5t
For a newbie racer 8,5t - 10,5t

Split the difference and get a 7,5!
Old 24-07-2009

kinda sux that theres only a 6.5t losi motor at dms... you think its too much?? :S cause i dont wanna spend 15 quid more for the same thing just to change the t.., unless you can find me a package of a 7.5t brushless motor and esc for 125 MAX as i cant find one...
Old 24-07-2009

ok, iv sorted everything BUT one thing... what do i need for races... an extra battery? i dont know please help
Old 24-07-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I would suggest 2 packs of Lipos are a minimum for racing, as long as you have a way of charging them at the track (mains chargers aren't much use in a field!). One pack in the car, one on charge, alternate through the day.
Most clubs give you enough time between rounds to put a decent amount of charge in your pack - remember that in a 5 minute race you aren't going to be using the whole 5300mAh, in fact you'll probably use less than half. So it only needs 30 mins to recharge to full, and it doesn't need to be full anyway.

Also for racing you'll need tyres - outdoors probably Schumacher Yellow Minispikes if its dry, indoors will depend on the track. Best to scout out the club and see what folks are using.

If you aren't on 2.4ghz I'd suggest a second set of radio crystals. Helps to avoid frequency clashes.

Spares - lots of spares.
Old 25-07-2009

what spares should i buy? also what tools...