Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 05-08-2010

As someone mentioned before, tamiya still sells and supplies spares for 501. They know they have a great product in the 511.

I believe very strongly that when Tamiya releases the new shaft driven car, that the 511 will live on.

The new car will probably be more plastic to reduce costs.

Old 05-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red View Post
Like the DB01R you mean
Old 05-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red View Post
As someone mentioned before, tamiya still sells and supplies spares for 501. They know they have a great product in the 511.

I believe very strongly that when Tamiya releases the new shaft driven car, that the 511 will live on.

How do you know it will be shaft driven!? Or plastic!?
Old 05-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
It's really a shame that Tamiya builds and sells such stellar kits, yet feels the need to not continue production on anything high end once the initial small run is done. I guess they figure their loyal followers will just dump the discontinued model in favor of the latest and greatest.

That same marketing concept has also kept me from buying ANY high end Tamiya product over the years, as much as I have wanted to. I can't own a race car with a 6 month shelf-life, parts supply or not. Those eventually (and quickly) disappear, too.
Bit extreme, yes they update the trf cars, especially on road, quite often, but when you say "6 month shelf life" the tr511 is @18mths old and no sign of an update yet, kits CAN still be bought (although it looks like "production" is complete), and there's no problem with discontinued parts, so I don't really see your point!? The 501 was their cr for over 2 years too, admittedly with about 800 hopups by the end!!
Old 05-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetbee View Post
Like the DB01R you mean
Getting tempted to get another of these for some winter play, do you still run one??
Old 05-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
How do you know it will be shaft driven!? Or plastic!?
That why I wrote probably

To answer yr question. Shaftdriven because they like to follow the trend. Speculation though. The similarity between the yokomo beltcar and the original 501 is obvious. And the same goes for the 201 compared to B4. The differences is that Tamiya did them both better.
And plastic works. Look at the Yokomo and Lazers. So why not. Just speculation on my part but I would not be surprised if that's the case.
Old 05-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Getting tempted to get another of these for some winter play, do you still run one??
Do it, you know it makes sense!
I've still got the DB01 but it's been rebuilt with a DB01R chassis, 3 racing 501 diff halves in the front to match the Tamiya ones in the rear, 511 wishbones and TRF shocks, also got the Atomic Carbon front and rear shock towers.
Must post a picture sometime
Old 06-08-2010

All the TRF kits and special order parts (long numbers beginning with 1 or 9) are made in small runs. I'm sure they'll do another run of 511s, just probably not until they build up enough wholesale orders to justify it.

I doubt the 201 will be in the same boat due to it's popularity and lack of carbon components, I'd imagine some of the special parts for it may become scarce between production runs though

FYI I have 2 416s a 511 and a 201, have been dealing with this for a while and rarely have trouble finding the parts I'm after
Old 06-08-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Your obviously not looking hard enough. Most of the spares for the 511 are not available now. I cant find a layshaft anywhere or the rear alloy hub and various other items as well. Ive never come across this before and due to this Tamiya will be going out of my door. I can find more new spares for a lazer zx than the trf511 which is crazy.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 06-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Your obviously not looking hard enough. Most of the spares for the 511 are not available now. I cant find a layshaft anywhere or the rear alloy hub and various other items as well. Ive never come across this before and due to this Tamiya will be going out of my door. I can find more new spares for a lazer zx than the trf511 which is crazy.
There is a new revision of the rear alloy hub coming, which is probably why they are not in stock in most places.

I can't imagine why one would need a new layshaft, if by layshaft you mean the center shaft (how did the old one brake?), but it is hard to imagine why you would get rid of a TRF511 just because you can't wait for the rear alloy hubs and use the stock ones in the mean time....

What is the part number for the layshaft?

If layshaft means the same part as center shaft, part number 84034, and if it is the same for 511 than for 501, then the first two places I looked at both have them in stock:
http://www.stellamodels.net/catalog/...oducts_id=3573
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-trf...t-p-27549.html
Old 06-08-2010

We have solved Welshys problem. He need the 2594039. The 84034 is for the double slipper.

For others that have problem finding parts, try http://www.modellbau-seidel.de

They have most parts in stock like suspension arms, alu hubs, damper towers, uprights, outdrives, pulleys, drive belts etc.

I´ve purchased parts there several times. Cheap and fast shipping.
Old 06-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Welshy, is the problem more that most shops aren't stocking the parts, because they ARE available, I would put money both speedtech and champ can get them!
Old 06-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
I've got a set of nip 53962 rear alloy hubs I'd sell if I'm able to get back what I paid for them. Pm me if interested.

See My Feedback

Old 06-08-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Fredrik saved the day. Thank you.

My layshaft bent on my 511 as i had the one way on it and appears that has caused the shaft to bend a fraction. Its noticeable when spun on the bearings alone. So away with the one way. The metal used by Tamiya isnt that great, but a vast improvement compared to what they used to sell.

RC Mushroom had loads but when i ordered five hundred pounds worth they could only supply three hundred. I basically emptied them out. They say they have stock when they do not have and ive come across a few shops that say the same but dont have. Its driving me crazy. I admit Tamiya have finally made something worth buying but the support isnt there which is a pity. Im going to hold onto this as its fun to drive and the last time i had that feeling was with my trusty ZXR.

Guys i cant fault your input and help. Its much appreciated. Thanks.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 06-08-2010

they are not discontinued I've asked for Tamiya usa

http://www.tamiyausa.com/search.php?q=trf511
Old 06-08-2010
Mad Member

a snip at $867.00...............
Old 07-08-2010

Speedtech has 511 kits in stock for $489.00.
Old 07-08-2010
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Fredrik saved the day. Thank you.

My layshaft bent on my 511 as i had the one way on it and appears that has caused the shaft to bend a fraction. Its noticeable when spun on the bearings alone. So away with the one way. The metal used by Tamiya isnt that great, but a vast improvement compared to what they used to sell.

RC Mushroom had loads but when i ordered five hundred pounds worth they could only supply three hundred. I basically emptied them out. They say they have stock when they do not have and ive come across a few shops that say the same but dont have. Its driving me crazy. I admit Tamiya have finally made something worth buying but the support isnt there which is a pity. Im going to hold onto this as its fun to drive and the last time i had that feeling was with my trusty ZXR.

Guys i cant fault your input and help. Its much appreciated. Thanks.
Would that be the one-way I told you to bin when you built the car?
Old 10-08-2010

Weird...wonder if this is something they just started doing? I seem to remember the original 415 being available for a really long time.
Old 11-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.CAT3K View Post
Weird...wonder if this is something they just started doing? I seem to remember the original 415 being available for a really long time.

What is something they just started doing? There is no fact that it would in fact be discontinued...