Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 24-08-2010

Default Schumacher Topcat rebuild questions

Hi folks,

I am almost finished rebuilding my old Topcat after getting it from a friend who had it stored in a loft for almost 20 years. Its in very good nick for its age so I have not had any problems so far apart from having to order new screws and tension o-rings. But I have now come across the first real problem possibly preventing me from running it.

The wire steering links that connect from the servo horn to the steering rack is missing, and I think a loose bit of wire I found in the box was some sort of replacement. The problem is it is not the correct diameter wire and has been bent into shape manually. There is so much play in the steering that I suspect it will be undriveable. Can anyone hlep me with the correct dimensions of these links? If someone can measure them and let me know, I can get a set formed locally.

I also need a rear wing for it but dont know which one currently available is similar to the original. Any ideas?

Lastly, does anyone have any drawings of a saddle lipo tray/holder which I can have cut and screw onto the chassis.

Thanks in advance,

Dasbo
Old 25-08-2010

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure the standard link was just 2 pieces of piano wire secured together with a grub screw collar. You should be able to just replace it with a long enough turnbuckle.
Old 25-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kek23k View Post
I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure the standard link was just 2 pieces of piano wire secured together with a grub screw collar. You should be able to just replace it with a long enough turnbuckle.
It was same for the Cougar 1 & 2, we just reemed the hole and put a ballstud on it and then to the servo - through a kimbrough servo horn.
Old 25-08-2010

Cheers for the replies guys.

You are bang on about the grub screw collar, as I have managed to find this part. However, I'm not sure the turnbuckle idea will work.

The Topcat has the front shocks located horizontally inside the bodyshell (unlike the Cougar I believe) and a straight link would not fit. I think the original steering links (wire) were factory formed so when screwed together with the collar, they formed a "bend" in the middle of the link, avoiding the closest shock. I'm also not sure whether I could get a ball stud on the steering rack due to the close proximity of parts above. (I'm working from memory here as I'm at work)

I'm going to get some thicker wire from B&Q etc. to try and form something that will work, but keep those ideas coming.

Thanks again.
Old 25-08-2010

Here's my Topcat that Ive been using as a vintage racer for the past few years here in Australia. The biggest problem Ive encountered with this car is its lack of steering. Ive obviously moved a saddle pack further forward and held in place with what used to be an old STORM2000 rear shock mount (its all I could find at the time that would fit-LOL). I also run a short servo stood upright and held in place with servo mounting blocks. This works really well for me any way.
I have plenty of Topcat spares both nip and loose so if you need anything drop me a line and i'll see what I can do.
Cheers-Jason