Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 25-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

And GOD has spoken!!! That's Gnarley old dog!!!
Thanks Andy, that's made me smile!!!

I think the best that can come from this is......wait for it...... better marshalling!!!! Job done
Old 25-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Haha I've driven in a national B final, and had more pressure marshelling the start of the A

You need to sharpen you reflexes dave, Most would have avoided his foot

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 25-11-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via Skype™ to simoncrabb

Now as not the most agile bloke in the world (even though I do carry it well), my marshalling skills aren't supreme.

But, I do try to keep an eye on my part of the track, and I always try to avoid oncoming cars, got to look before leaping.

I've recently realised that often you can pause too long, often a step or two and you're on the otherside of the path of the car that's on the way. It takes practise to realise how far away a car needs to be before you know you can't set off.

I love the idea of a show and tell. You know things like how to flip a car back over - hand underneath, roll it over, but not too far, preferably all whilst in the direction you are moving in to make it nice and quick. Maybe it's something clubs could do with younger / newer drivers.

We've all seen very random marshalling, mashalling by grabbing a wheel, a wing, shock tower, or using a foot.

It's a can of worms for sure. But one thing is clear to me, the better drivers 99% of the time are better marshalls. They seem to be able to predict an incident, are often up and moving before it's even happened!

Babble babble, waffle waffle.
Old 25-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

There is alot of pressure on marshalls to perform their duties faultlessly for fear of tonnes of abuse/swearing/dodgy looks from those on the rostrum during and after the race.

Totally agree that if you crash its your fault/keep the cars that are running as your priority but there are so many people out there who are shouting at the marshalls as soon as they can see their car is in trouble.

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 25-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Well I would have missed his foot, but there was no room on the inside as the cars behind me all found out, oh and I am a rubbish driver as well, think this may have had something to do with it haha.

And lets get it done Crabby!!! A "How to marshal" video!!!!
Old 25-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0sie View Post
There is alot of pressure on marshalls to perform their duties faultlessly for fear of tonnes of abuse/swearing/dodgy looks from those on the rostrum during and after the race.

Totally agree that if you crash its your fault/keep the cars that are running as your priority but there are so many people out there who are shouting at the marshalls as soon as they can see their car is in trouble.
I think I gave it a "Aw come on man" cry hehehehe
Old 25-11-2010

i think the safest time to marshall a crashed car is when the race is over. you think you have got time but the speed of the cars they are on you before you know it [remember the words in the song SHALL I GO OR SHALL I STAY] its the marshalls call.
Old 25-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If that had happened to me DC id have been narked for sure!

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 25-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schudave View Post
i think the safest time to marshall a crashed car is when the race is over. you think you have got time but the speed of the cars they are on you before you know it [remember the words in the song SHALL I GO OR SHALL I STAY] its the marshalls call.
This is a great idea if you are behind the car when it crashes, but not so good if it's you that crashes
Old 25-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0sie View Post
If that had happened to me DC id have been narked for sure!
I am old now, so I was pissed off for about 3 seconds, then I abused Griff, aka Wagner for the rest of the final haha
Old 25-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

i think as long as they are trying to be as quick and helpfull as possible we cant complain,im sure we have won or done better from an on the ball mashall that we have not even given a second thought to,i think the biggest pain it when people just stoll over,kick it with there foot or no matter which way its facing they just turn it over even if you facing the wrong way

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 25-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg View Post
i think as long as they are trying to be as quick and helpfull as possible we cant complain,im sure we have won or done better from an on the ball mashall that we have not even given a second thought to,i think the biggest pain it when people just stoll over,kick it with there foot or no matter which way its facing they just turn it over even if you facing the wrong way
Great, another opinion!!! Come on you lot, debate........................
Old 25-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

When I marshall I always try to get to cars in the order they stuffed it, though it doesn't always work out that way

The only exceptions being if there's a car in a dangerous place (eg middle of the straight) or if I've taken another car out on my way to the first crash, then they get priority. Also if someone blatantly runs into the back of someone else I make sure they're away last

So long as people put the effort in I'm happy, some people are physically more/less agile but if they're doing their best than that's all anyone can ask really. There are one or two people I can think of who don't seem to give a stuff when marshalling (no names mentioned...), that annoy's me as usually they are the first to complain if a marshal takes a little while to get to their car...
Old 25-11-2010
Mad Member

The biggest issue I can see here is DC's example, if it is true then DC is suggesting he made an 'A' final, that can't be true so debate over....

My views are the same as Rich Lowe, I try my hardest to keep out the way of racing cars and if there is more than one crashed car then they go back in the order they stuffed it
Old 25-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
The biggest issue I can see here is DC's example, if it is true then DC is suggesting he made an 'A' final, that can't be true so debate over....

My views are the same as Rich Lowe, I try my hardest to keep out the way of racing cars and if there is more than one crashed car then they go back in the order they stuffed it
Jonesy....feck off!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH thanks for your support on marshalling reform
Old 25-11-2010

Marshal should have waited, but without knowing how close you were before he stepped out, its hard to say.

In my opinion, if in doubt, wait! not just for the sake of the on coming cars, but also for your own safety.

Added: its harder if the person was "taken out" but if its there own mistake, even more reason not to rush out, its their own fault

Last edited by DaSloth; 25-11-2010 at 08:49 PM. Reason: added
Old 25-11-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Church View Post
I had an incident during my final at Taplow last Sunday that made me want to ask this question and see what sort of debate would follow.
As a marshall what is expected of you.
The situation that happened to me.
I had made my way up to 3rd after starting 6th in the A final, second place crashed, I saw it out of the corner of my eye, I decided to go round the outside of the crashed car which would have put me in 2nd, as I went wide the marshall ran out to marshall the crashed car, whilst doing this managed to kick my car into the wall, as he was marshalling the crashed car a few more ran into the marshall, he put the 2nd place car on his wheels, then put the cars that had run into him on their wheels, then saw my car up against the wall. I was then marshalled, I lost some 6 seconds and 4 places, well race over, no chance after this.
So what takes priority when marshalling, the crashed car or the cars coming?
If the marshall would have left the crashed car I would have been in 2nd, if he would have marshalled without getting the way I may have been secong, for sure I would have remained in third.
Should the marshall be 100% sure he does not affect any other cars race, or marshall the car that had earned the better position as fast as possible.
Let the debat begin.

I have seen a wide and varied level of marshalls at many different races. I think this is an interesting topic.
I was a bit disappointed with what happened to me in my final, but after that's racing,or is it???
Very simple answer from me.

The marshal's first responsibility is not to interfere with anyone's race.

If there is traffic coming, the marshal ABSOLUTELY should not step out into its path.

If that means he has to wait 10 seconds while the field goes past and the driver of the crashed car shouts abuse, so be it.
Old 25-11-2010
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

I try to marshal as quick and efficient as I can, as thats how i'd like other to do so.
However Marshals are there to correct a drivers mistake, if a driver makes a mistake they cant complain, if you're affected by another drivers mistake and a marshal cocks it up, then indeed that is racing.

If a marshal is trying to help, then thats great, however if theyre talking, in a day dream, on their phone then that grinds my gears and i'd be prepared to let rip then.
Old 25-11-2010
SHRCCC Legend

Top Thread

I always used to enjoy marshalling and I took as much pride and care with it as I did my racing. I also had a motto of marshall as if you we're racing.

Incidents do occur and a simple appology goes A LONG WAY .

I'm sure we all try our best and have to understand 'shit happens'.

One could say, dont crash.....................
Old 25-11-2010

i agree with all the points you guys have made but i think your slightly forgetting that no one is perfect and sometimes makes mistakes, just like the car in position 2.

you can train someone for a few hours on how to marshal but it all comes down to reactions, the earlier you spot the problem the shorter the time the rc is going to be immobilized
dnx408
Hyper 7-e
losi 8ight-t brushless converted
Robitronic avid 2
MY feedback