Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Ansmann Racing

Old 26-12-2010

Default Help with rounded off screw.

Just been building my XPro I got from Mr Claus and started assembling the front, (part 5 in the instructions if it helps) and up untill then no problems with screws, but one of the ones on the top at the back, which is counter sunk hole, with round head screw, it just slipped and more or less totaly rounded off the hex.

Tried to baxck it out, but it just slipped, so took the whole lot apart again (it was the last screw) and sat looking at it trying to figure out how best to get it out.

Cant get pliers on it as its in the counter sunk hole, and cant see a way to put a slot in it either.

Thinking either drill the head off, then try and twist the thread out with pliers, or maybe trying to drill the whole lot out, but then have to use a M4 instead up the M3.

Neither seems an ideal solution and was wondering how you guys go about this problem?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 26-12-2010

Just thought I would add, considering just leaving it as it is, I dont "think" it would causemuch of an issue, but problem could arrise should I break something that needs it to be removed.

Also good idea to tap out all the holes first? think I'm going to buy a tap when the shops open and tap them all first, good idea?
Old 26-12-2010
Administrator

Are you using a decent quality hex driver?
You should be able to slot it with a dremel and cut-off wheel? if you don't have one maybe ask around?
If you don't NEED to remove it and it's in all the way then it's fine to leave it for now until you can slot it and remove it. I'd not drill it tbh, just wait until you can slot it.

You shouldn't NEED to tap the holes but if you're having a hard time then run a quality screw in and out of the hole. Tbh I found the screws in the Xpro kit really good but maybe they're different now?
Old 26-12-2010

Its about 1mm off tightened down.

Tbh I'm finding the screws very tight and was worried it was going to let go at some point.

The allen key book I'm using is a decent quality one, and the fit was nice and tight, just the hex gave way on the head.

To be honest I'm not convinced that putting a slot in it would work either as its REALLY tight, even though its not tightened down.
Old 26-12-2010

definitely slot it with a dremel, i had this problem on a helicopter i built; cheap screws!
Old 26-12-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwrnach View Post
Its about 1mm off tightened down.

Tbh I'm finding the screws very tight and was worried it was going to let go at some point.

The allen key book I'm using is a decent quality one, and the fit was nice and tight, just the hex gave way on the head.

To be honest I'm not convinced that putting a slot in it would work either as its REALLY tight, even though its not tightened down.
allen key book?
you should be using quality drivers which are individual drivers with thier own handle. such as hudy or eds
Old 26-12-2010
Thieving scumbag

As above really you can slot it from the side without too many problems I always tap all the holes before I build the kit if you can't get a tap then the ball studs work well in the 11 ansmann kits I have never rounded a head whilst building a kit
Old 26-12-2010
Mad Member

Dont drill it! they can get red hot and melt the parts that surround it.

+1 Dremel...
Old 26-12-2010

I can not believe so few people know this trick.

Use a Torx screwdriver (T9 I think). Cram it in there and it will come right out .
Old 27-12-2010

ezyout
Old 27-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle_axe View Post
As above really you can slot it from the side without too many problems I always tap all the holes before I build the kit if you can't get a tap then the ball studs work well in the 11 ansmann kits I have never rounded a head whilst building a kit
I like that tip.. attatch it to a slow drill and pre drill all the holes, nice Ill try it on my next build

Where is a good place to get a set of good torx drivers?
Old 27-12-2010

I have this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TORX-STAR-SCRE...item43a085ff3f

I've been using it for 5 months, with zero problems. I use it for nearly all my screws because they are all rounded, even though I used a good quality hex driver to begin with.

Luckily I just bought a 12.9 grade steel screw set from www.tonysscrews.com, so I will be done with these horrible horrible stock screws.
Old 27-12-2010

Thanks for all the replys, just ordered one of those star driver thingys fearo listed, I'll try that first, then look at getting an ez out.

Had another one round off today, and that was with one of the single drivers I bought yesterday to see if that helped.

Also good tip using the ball studs as a tap, didnt fully understand what you meant untill just now and reading it multiple times, I'll try that
Old 27-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearo View Post
I have this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TORX-STAR-SCRE...item43a085ff3f

I've been using it for 5 months, with zero problems. I use it for nearly all my screws because they are all rounded, even though I used a good quality hex driver to begin with.

Luckily I just bought a 12.9 grade steel screw set from www.tonysscrews.com, so I will be done with these horrible horrible stock screws.

what screw set did you get as there is not any for the madrat specifically
I orderde a set of these drivers

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Old 28-12-2010

I got so used to removing old worn Team C allen bolts with a Torx I just build everything that has dodgy bolts with a Torx now :P works so much better
Old 28-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKiwi View Post
what screw set did you get as there is not any for the madrat specifically
You need the TQ Racing SX 10 screw kit. it's the same car as the madrat .
Old 28-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

$20 plus shipping, Ill look and ask around if I can fix some kits a little cheaper, then I can offer them here to all
Old 29-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearo View Post
I can not believe so few people know this trick.

Use a Torx screwdriver (T9 I think). Cram it in there and it will come right out .

Yep a T9 torx screwdriver. I had a little trouble when tightening down screws when I was building the Mad Rat. Rounded off 2 of them in the process. I actually used a t8 at first which was rubbish then discovered a t9 fits in very tight. get a good quality 1 though as I bought a halfords 1 and it was ruined in 2 seconds.