Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Ansmann Racing

Old 21-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Whats the X4 like??

How is it? You people that have it are ya happy with it, or would you have gone for another brand 4WD

Can you recommend it?

What other 4WD would you have gotten if you didn't pick the x4

Is the price relevant to what you get? Like the madrat... lots for your money
Old 22-01-2011

Well I built mine several months ago and only just ran it about 30 minutes ago. Only with A 13t motor but it was smoooooth and smoooth (really smooth) and pretty fast, I could drive it flat out almost everywhere on a track made from very fine and thick dust, even got some sideways traction rolls on a track like that, amazing. I had high hopes for the car but it's better than I expected. I also expected to break a diff straight up but had no problems at all on the first run, so far so good but it's not a very powerful motor so we will see what happens when I get something faster in it. I got this one for a crazy good price and normally I wouldn't have bought a 4wd but if I was going to buy another one other than this it would have been the latest Lazer
Old 22-01-2011

have my 4wd tc04 now for 5 months .
lots of runs and still great.
dith run with 4.0t motor.but to much power.also could not get gearing for 4t motor.
to much heat in the motor.
now with a 6.5t its fast and great.
only destroit a rim and a set of tyres
car is strong.
Old 22-01-2011

I have the team c version, out of the box I thought it handled really good. The only adjustments Ive made are tires and ride height. The car is much tougher then the 2wd based cars, it almost seems it was made by a different company.
Only complaints are a noisy spur gear and not enough shims for the diffs.
Old 22-01-2011
Mad Member

excellent car to drive - handles a 6.5 no problem and is really smooth. Only weak spots i've noticed have been the front brace (now replaced with the aluminium upgrade part and is fine) and the hinge pins (can easily be replaced with Associated ones for £3).

I echo what Notme said about the lack of diff shims - if you buy one you should order an extra pack (part number 125000958) and make sure you have at least 3 shims on each diff (gear side).

I've also added big bore shocks onto mine and, the black aluminium castor blocks and the black heatsink motor mount, although with hindsight I should have just waited for the Team Edition model to come out which has all these parts as standard.
Old 24-01-2011

My little motor is getting waaay hot pushing this thing around, hot enough that if you drop water on the motor it will instantly boil :P, you can burn yourself even on the chassis, I'm amazed it hasn't melted or drooped from the heat, so I'm going to need a more grunty motor pretty soon I think
Old 24-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicefrog View Post
My little motor is getting waaay hot pushing this thing around, hot enough that if you drop water on the motor it will instantly boil :P, you can burn yourself even on the chassis, I'm amazed it hasn't melted or drooped from the heat, so I'm going to need a more grunty motor pretty soon I think
I got a good one for you with heaps of grunt, check out the FS section a Tekin Redline
Old 24-01-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Mine gets pretty hot too - although not too bad since I added the heatsink mount. I am tempted to make a cutout below where the motor is to aid airflow. I've noticed that both the Team Edition and the Yokomo Bmax have the cut out.
Old 24-01-2011

At my home track in the summer it can get up to 38C. My CC sidewinder 5700 was excellent power for the 4wd, but would thermal at 4 minutes. Switched to a tekin rs and no more issues.
Theres an optional fan mount that helps with heat issues also. Team C part#TO4013
Old 25-01-2011

I've been using the TC04 (X4) for about 8 months. People just don't give this car the credit it deserves. I've not broken a thing in that time. My close friend broke the aluminium front brace (figure that out) the arms and everything else survived.

The only issue I have is the 85 tooth spur, I want to run smaller and no options available.

I have just built and first race with the Pro kit. This is even better than the standard car. This car is lighter and has better weight distribution (sexy too).
Old 25-01-2011

Quote:
You need better air flow to the motor, try this.
1. Drill 5 x 6mm holes in the chassis under where the motor sits.
2. cut a little bit more of the body at the front to allow air inside the car.
3. put 3 x 4mm holes in the body above the motor to dispurse the air out.
Old 17-04-2011

I sold my TC04 and bought a new one for this season. Got this one with big bores. I noticed it has lightened outdrives and wide hexs for the rear only. Seems odd.......it takes care of the rim rub issues but leaves a ton of side/side play. Again used shims to fix, just like my last car. Also there is revised diff cases, I dont know what the difference is without my old ones to compare it to.
So far the shocks made a huge difference in the rough, and its super quiet now! I guess they cut the spur gears differently then before.
Old 17-04-2011
Mad Member

Just about to build my pro version and looking forward to campaining it at the regionals and eos finals this year.

Didn't get much running in with the original but the times I did race it it felt a really capable car. I had no problems with drive train on mine using the kit amount of shims. Breakages were not a major issue, and the car built really nicely.

I say for the price the x4 pro is a great car and I recommend that anyone who wants a good entry level four wheel drive buggy should have a go with one.

Robert Jaques, Schumacher Racing KC, K2. Team Associated SC5M

"The Japanese Sniper"

Team Autocare & Cycles
Old 18-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiejuk View Post
Just about to build my pro version and looking forward to campaining it at the regionals and eos finals this year.

Didn't get much running in with the original but the times I did race it it felt a really capable car. I had no problems with drive train on mine using the kit amount of shims. Breakages were not a major issue, and the car built really nicely.

I say for the price the x4 pro is a great car and I recommend that anyone who wants a good entry level four wheel drive buggy should have a go with one.
What motor did you run in it and where you running it on a high traction surface (astroturf) or a more forgiving surface?
Thinking of getting one later on in the year but always worried about stripping bevel gears etc. Are the gears metal?

James
Old 18-04-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmatrix View Post
What motor did you run in it and where you running it on a high traction surface (astroturf) or a more forgiving surface?
Thinking of getting one later on in the year but always worried about stripping bevel gears etc. Are the gears metal?

James
I think he uses a 6.5T and mostly races on high bite surfaces. The bevel gears will be fine so long as they are properly shimmed. I've only got the std X4pro and the plastic gears are just fine (I race on the same tracks as Rob)
Old 18-04-2011
Mad Member

Yeah as Chris said, Very high grip carpet and also over the big jumps at worksop and the drive train has been fine I don't think I changed a single thing in the drive train before I sold it to Dave.

Only things I broke were things that would normally break in an accident. I do recommend getting the hopped up alloy brace for the front if you can afford it and definatly make a cooling slot in the chassis.

Robert Jaques, Schumacher Racing KC, K2. Team Associated SC5M

"The Japanese Sniper"

Team Autocare & Cycles
Old 19-04-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiejuk View Post
Yeah as Chris said, Very high grip carpet and also over the big jumps at worksop and the drive train has been fine I don't think I changed a single thing in the drive train before I sold it to Dave.

Only things I broke were things that would normally break in an accident. I do recommend getting the hopped up alloy brace for the front if you can afford it and definatly make a cooling slot in the chassis.
And i have fiited all my electrics, plus the upgraded motor mount and front castor blocks.

tried it on the street with some used cat rear wheels just to check it out..

AWESOME

will prob rebuild rear diff before Eastrax as its a little noisey, but i have drove louder ones

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Autocare, unit 5 candleby Court, Cotgrave NG123RT.
Old 19-04-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dodd View Post
And i have fiited all my electrics, plus the upgraded motor mount and front castor blocks.

tried it on the street with some used cat rear wheels just to check it out..

AWESOME

will prob rebuild rear diff before Eastrax as its a little noisey, but i have drove louder ones
Are you changing anything else on it or running Rob's setup?
I did like my X4 (still got it mind!!!) - one of the most underrated 4wd cars out there
Old 19-04-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris56 View Post
Are you changing anything else on it or running Rob's setup?
I did like my X4 (still got it mind!!!) - one of the most underrated 4wd cars out there
well it is still setup for carpet

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Autocare, unit 5 candleby Court, Cotgrave NG123RT.

Last edited by Dave Dodd; 19-04-2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: dont leave ash while still logged in .....