Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 01-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez82 View Post
John mentioned three sets of tyres per team in an earlier post.

As for preglued, I'd much prefer that (on chrome or white rims) because most Preglued are better adhered than anything we could do on the spot and would be properly cured, if we get supplied tyres loose on the day and glue ourselves the odds of a tyre coming off are greatly increased, having said that it would add drama, and anyway these cars are not fast so the tyres won't be trying to fling themselves off like a modified car would.

Just need to know before I go buying three sets of white rims!
Beg to differ on that one Dez most pre glued tryes are shocking, badly seated not cleaned and come adrift far too easily. And on chrome wheels will be even worse and the chrome has a nasty habit of comming away from the plastic. I'd much rather be given white or black wheels, inserts and tyres and be made to sit in scrutineering and glue them up and get them marked. That way I can be sure they will be stay stuck and will be round. i'd Rather loose a tyre due to my own mistake rather than the lottery of tyres glued in China by some kid on $0.50 and hour.

Jason
Old 01-04-2011

Quote:
John mentioned three sets of tyres per team in an earlier post.

As for preglued, I'd much prefer that (on chrome or white rims) because most Preglued are better adhered than anything we could do on the spot and would be properly cured, if we get supplied tyres loose on the day and glue ourselves the odds of a tyre coming off are greatly increased, having said that it would add drama, and anyway these cars are not fast so the tyres won't be trying to fling themselves off like a modified car would.

Just need to know before I go buying three sets of white rims!
Right, here's the latest on tyres but before I do go down this route I honestly believe as a racer, looking at the handling and pace of these cars, clever tricks with inserts and inserts soaked in additive will make no difference at all as the car does not even break grip even with the kit tyres, that combined with being inundated with different wheel colour requests is causing me a headache, therefore......

......Each team has to run the KIT wheels and tyre set that comes with the car on the day. Then each team can use up to two MORE sets of tyres, on whatever rims and inserts you like (again I believe playing with inserts is completely pointless, you are far better focusing on tactics especially slick battery and driver changes).

For those happy with the kit wheels and inserts they will be there for you on the day, and we will have enough for every team. So come armed with 2 lots of your own wheels if you like and glue the tyres on. We will have these tyres on the test weekend. :-)
Old 01-04-2011

So we can use moulded inserts in the extra sets of tyres? The kit tyres come with inserts, so I would have thought it would be better to stay with them
Old 01-04-2011

John so you saying any wheel 26 or 24mm 0 offset or have we got to run wheel with offset any insert
Old 01-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
I'd Rather loose a tyre due to my own mistake rather than the lottery of tyres glued in China by some kid on $0.50 and hour. Jason
Fair point Jason

John so long as the kit tyres come with inserts that's cool, have already ordered some white rims, as per kit design & offsets, just white (so no chrome to flake off!)
Old 01-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreeder View Post
So we can use moulded inserts in the extra sets of tyres? The kit tyres come with inserts, so I would have thought it would be better to stay with them
Yes I would just run with the inserts that come with the tyres, I don't see a performance advantage with messing around with inserts, especially not at this level.

JUST TO CLARIFY, on the day the wheels and tyres and inserts will be provided, all this talk of other wheels, colours and inserts are for teams concerned about appearance of their cars and they are choosing to supply their own wheels (not tyres). YOU DO NOT have to spend time researching, worrying and thinking you need to source wheels and inserts. Just leave them to it. Team Ardent will just be running the black kit wheels with the kit control tyre for example.
Old 01-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig W View Post
John so you saying any wheel 26 or 24mm 0 offset or have we got to run wheel with offset any insert
I honestly don't know that answer to that one, which is why I would have preferred to just stick with kit wheels/tyres. All I know is you need to be able to get the Kit tyres on them. Dez or Martin might be able to answer it for you. If in doubt just let us supply you with the black wheels, tyres and inserts for £19.99.
Old 01-04-2011

I think the any wheel rule should be refering to any 26mm HPI wheels, would keep it sensible. This would just allow you to use different colours and design of wheels from the HPI 26mm range. Offset should stay as 3mm front and 6mm rear, as otherwise the wheels and tyres would not look right in the 200mm shell.
Old 01-04-2011

Good point, surely HPI can offer us 26mm 3mm/6mm offset rims at a good price from their range?

Also, can I ask, is an extended front bumper foam a legal modifcation, the body folds back so far before it hits the kit bumper than the wheel arches split pretty easily, if I'm getting a pretty paint job done I want it to last as long as possible. These cars have no go so they may as well be all show
Old 01-04-2011

Quote:
... if I'm getting a pretty paint job done I want it to last as long as possible.
You have decided against your usual design then?
Old 01-04-2011

I'll tell Terry at Tels Shells you said that
Old 02-04-2011
Mad Member

The stock speedo retails at about £30 (UK), will replacemants be avaliable on the day and how much discount can we get if we need one?

Clown
Old 02-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotussmart View Post
I honestly don't know that answer to that one, which is why I would have preferred to just stick with kit wheels/tyres. All I know is you need to be able to get the Kit tyres on them. Dez or Martin might be able to answer it for you. If in doubt just let us supply you with the black wheels, tyres and inserts for £19.99.
Is that 19.99 for all 4
Old 02-04-2011

Quote:
Is that 19.99 for all 4
Pretty sure thats a yes.
Old 02-04-2011

Quote:
Is that 19.99 for all 4
Yes, 19.99 for 4 wheels and tyres, special price from HPI. Told you it would be a cheap event :-). 24 hrs of RC racing with your mates, a car included and control tyres that will likely last 12 hrs a set and cost just 19.99!!. We are cheap skates!! :-)
Old 02-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotussmart View Post
We are cheap skates!! :-)
And all the better off for it JD! Jags aren't cheap eh!
Old 03-04-2011

if we are using the kit tyres now, how is the wet weather stint going to be done??
Old 03-04-2011

Good question, the kit tyres are so much like drifting already the only alternative is proper drift tyres, HPI do some, but would each team have to buy a set or would HPI throw them into the deal perhaps?

We did a lot of race testing at Ardent today, the kit tyres are horrible, didn't like additive, didn't like warmers, droop screw settings made no difference to the handling even when completely removed. I think they'll do the whole 24 hours on one set because mine were just getting bigger all day picking up rubber from the track!!

So, if HPI are insisting we run these kit tyres for the race well then I think HPI should throw the drift tyres at us to make them feel grippy when we switch back to kit tyres from the drift rings
Old 03-04-2011
Mad Member

They do the X Pattern tyres in D compound and Pro compound, have you tried the pro ones yet?

Clown
Old 03-04-2011

Quote:
Good question, the kit tyres are so much like drifting already the only alternative is proper rift tyres, HPI do some, but woukld each team have to buy a ste or qould HPI throw them into the deal perhaps?

We did a lot of race testing at Ardent today, the kit tyres are horrible, didn't like additive, didn't like warmers, droop screw settings made no difference to the handling even when completely removed. I think they'll do the whole 24 hours on one set because mine were just getting bigger all day picking up rubber from the track!!

So, if HPI are insisting we run these kit tyres for the race well then I think HPI should throw the drift tyres at us to make them feel grippy when we switch back to kit tyres from teh drift rings
Dez, I think today was slippy due to all the foams and additive being put down by the Mardaves, F1s, and GTs. Tuesday they were fine, but I agree today was slippy.