Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 04-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastinfastout View Post
like I said in another thread, since team drivers have been using the 502, they have been going backwards. Funny how Lee questioned me about this remark, yet nearly ALL team members are back to the 511.

what have you got to say about it now Mr Martin?
Chill dude... you stated that the team drivers had gone backwards since using the 502... Lee replied asking who, and that he had being doing just fine with the 502…. Lee and the team should be left to do whatever necessary to win races for TRF, using TRF products.

The fact remains that Tamiya brought out the 502 as an alternative to the 511. The open belt drive system was not being well received by racers in Japan and USA, as they run on dirt and the open belt system was an issue. The answer was to respect the TRF race fans and create a 511 suspensioned, sealed transmission car... result the 502. So the TRF racer now has a choice and surely that in its own right is a good thing.

As we know the 502 has some slight differences over the 511 in terms of weight balance and steering, and these are born out of the transmission differences. As with all new cars, development has taken place, and the car improved. The problem for Lee is, that after a stunning debut year with TRF, his competitors have had to raise their game, and in most cases, they have had the same equipment. There have been some huge races over the past 3 months, Reedy, Petit, Cactus and the recent EOS. The 3 TRF team guys have been competitive at every race, with Lee obtaining some very creditable results, where Marc and Viktor have done very well with much less off road experience than the guys they race against. To state that they have gone backwards in races such as these against the best in the world is not a fair comment….. Staying at the top is real hard.

The recent change to running the 511 should not be seen as going back, but more choosing the right race vehicle for the track. Belt drive offers a smoother acceleration and the steering is more liner which suits the guys better. The higher maintenance time on the 511 at big races is not so much of a problem to these guys. Lap times seem more consistent.

For the club driver on a dirt track or even for someone who chooses not to prep his car quite so much, the 502 is a better option. The punchier transmission can also be an advantage..... its all about choices.
Old 04-04-2011

Yes, you can actually see Lee going literally backwards with a 502!

No wait, it is everybody else going backwards...
Old 04-04-2011

Dom like I said im more than happy with this car. Best jumping buggy I've ever seen and as for Sunday, ready and looking forward to the start of the championship and more than happy in the knowledge that the car Ive got is capable of beating anything it goes up against.
Scotty....

Donutt
Quote:
Originally Posted by msxmre
Looks like all us that bought the Trf502x wasted our money. I actually really like my 502x but looks like the big T is going back to belts.
Scotty....
Ah well. See you Sunday and I'll show you how us 511 guys handle it...
Old 04-04-2011

To argue what car is The best in this class is silly. Both cars are high quality racecars. Sure, the team drivers all drove 511 but there still were a shaft car that won from à differnet company. Go with what you have got and practice driving it instead.
Old 04-04-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondell View Post
The recent change to running the 511 should not be seen as going back, but more choosing the right race vehicle for the track.
Your comments are spot on Jondell. I think the phrase goes "horses for course".

Also, as Jondell stated, the 502x is a sealed gearbox car which is not only a good fast car for the average Joe racer and beyond, but it requires a lot less maintenance. Most of us just want a car we can use time and time again without messing about with belts e.t.c as well as being competitive, i feel the 502x is exactly that. For that reason, its why im sticking firmly to my 502.
Old 04-04-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yeah, tbh most cars are capable, after all, look at which car won the EOS!
Old 04-04-2011

Just actually had time to read through Jondells and Jamies posts and you guys are spot on. Sticking with 502 just suits me and my racing. This trying to say which is better doesn't really hold up. I bet any of the top guys would be quick regardless of drivetrain. I like less maintenance so sealed gearboxes I like lol.
Scotty....
Old 04-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco NL View Post
they drive a 511 says enough about the 502

but I go buy a 502 I want to test it myself
You can buy mine
Old 04-04-2011

sealed drive train

belt drive

why dont they just drive a db01r? haha
Old 04-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You can buy mine

i can by from hongkong for 308,00euro
Old 04-04-2011
Mad Member

I think the 502 is a faster lapping car, however the 511 is more consistent over a race, and easier to drive.
Old 04-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by msxmre View Post
Just actually had time to read through Jondells and Jamies posts and you guys are spot on. Sticking with 502 just suits me and my racing. This trying to say which is better doesn't really hold up. I bet any of the top guys would be quick regardless of drivetrain. I like less maintenance so sealed gearboxes I like lol.
Scotty....
Exactly Scotty (had tongue firmly in cheek earlier).

These Tamiya 4WD are fantastic cars. Drive superbly and in better hands than mine can beat anything.
Shaft drive vs belt drive is just "horses for courses".
One track suits belts, another track suits shaft.

In the same way, some tracks suit driver A, other tracks suit driver B.
That's why we love it - there's always a chance that "this is your day".

I think 2011 is going to be even more competitive amongst the cars AND the drivers, as they get more experience with their cars, and the latest minor tweaks to improve them.

Scotland's Outdoor Season starts Sunday and Scotty and I will be taking it to the rest of them. Wish us luck.

Bud, save me a spot to pit alongside you.
Old 04-04-2011

It'd be nice tho if the car that has a sealed gearbox would be better suited to tracks where it could actually keep out dirt.
Old 05-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastinfastout View Post
sealed drive train

belt drive

why dont they just drive a db01r? haha

You might laugh, i drive a DB01R beside my 502X and don´t find much difference regarding laptimes on my hometrack. I love both
Old 05-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by muratti View Post
You might laugh, i drive a DB01R beside my 502X and don´t find much difference regarding laptimes on my hometrack. I love both
no doubts, I use to own one and found them to be very competitive, and I have owned every 4wd out there besides the the losi and xtreme.
Old 07-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomj316 View Post
Your comments are spot on Jondell. I think the phrase goes "horses for course".
+2

EOS was an indoor clay track, of course you'd run the belt drive car. No doubt we'll see the 502 pop up when they move onto some looser surfaces.

I'm also guessing they've decided the 511 will be best for the worlds track so they're concentrating set up and development on it at the moment.
Old 07-04-2011

I´ve gone with the 511 since i love the feel of belt compared to shaft driven cars.

the car just drives itself.

all of the a finalist had a bit of trouble with lack of mid corner steering other than that the car was awesome.

with fredrik emilssons belt cover there wont be any issues with the drivetrain. if anything i would say there is less work to be done on 511 than on the 502.

Evans was almost untouchable with the xxx-4 :P
Old 17-04-2011

Hi Otto, congrats on your performance at the EOS!

How come you used so little toe-in (2.5 deg) at the Tomellila track? and so hard springs ? on a surface so slippery...
Old 17-04-2011

I would imagine to gain steering. Less toe is effective in getting the rear to turn around and the stiff springs makes the car react faster, something you want on tight tracks.
Old 17-04-2011

yes, that is what I thought also, but it seemed strange because on his TRF201 it was all about gaining rear traction...his stup was very soft... I guess the 4WD (511) has no such problem and needed the added steering...