Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 17-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysan View Post
Epic video by the way - perhaps include something in the budget this time for the onboard cameras that Dez reviewed in Racer a while back - wont record 24 hrs I'm assuming but would make for some cool footage. Only about £40 if I recall.
Haha - I buy those budget video cameras in bulk but I have at least six of them that are still working; I chuck them into everything, so they don't last long! If I'd thought that teams would be up for it I'd have brought them with me and suggested attaching them to some of the other cars. The main problem however is keeping them steady - the lighter they are the more prone they are to vibration and the cheap rolling shutter mechanisms give a weird jello-wobble effect when subjected to vibration. I bought the GoPro specifically to get around this, and if I'd put more time into it then I would have gotten more high-quality footage. The wide angle lens really pulls in a lot but as a result you have to get in a lot closer for detail. It also exaggerates speed so it would have come out better better if we could have almost crawled around for the parade lap and passed within an inch or so of the pace car at the end. Oh well, there's always next time...
Old 17-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
Which means that the emphasis for competitive teams switches to other areas in order to raise performance. The mods you want to outlaw are cheap and make the car good to drive. The alternatives are within those Rules and more expensive.
Will it not save money? The RPM ball cups will help stop lost dog bones, which was happening all event, will cost a fiver if that. Team Dudley actualy had no issues with ball cups, but I know other teams were ripping hair out. We can scrap the UJ's idea if need be, they do look a tad expensive to be fair, and they may actually fail sooner than dog bones on reflection. We know that 2 sets of Axels will last the race so maybe stick with them. Aluminium Hex's would help with frequent wheel changes the new tyre rules will bring. The plastic hexs come quite deformed as new, camber changes as you rotate the wheel, sometimes by 3-4 deg. Other than that, this car was a very good choice for the event.

Even without any changes , I'm sure I would enjoy another round of the same. The only thing I will strongly back is brushless but only if its near the pace of the Saturn 20T, I wouldnt want anything much quicker and it doesnt cost the earth. The prices discussed earlier sounded good.
Old 17-06-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez82 View Post
Oh god no please, if you think the Sprint2 is basic and a bit baggy in places try owning and running the Maverick TC or an Ansmann p.o.s.

You'll be begging to have the Sprint2 back!
Well let's see Dez the are-2 is a tank. My nephew has given his hours of abuse with a 10t bushless and I haven't had to replace anything other than 1 spur in over a year of him bashing it
Old 17-06-2011
Mad Member

Andysan - bodies from the HPI list could have that sort of difference, it isn't all down to having aero shells. The only way to find out is to buy them all and run them...

Losing dogbones was usually about hitting things. Either the front wheel whipped back and spat the dogbone out, or a balljoint (usually toplink) got dislodged and the hub fell away to let the dogbone out. If you don't hit things...

The wear on outdrives won't change if you switch to UJs. Well greased, the UJ end will attract dirt and dust that shortens life, and ungreased they simply wear like the dogbones. Do these UJs feature the MIP CVD system - that would help get round that issue?

The more I think about this, the more I feel that we should stick to the HPI cars with the current Rules, and change the motor to a 17.5 BL. I appreciate that eliminating the motor change does close things up, but in cost terms is that such a bad thing?

I'm sure John is taking all this in and will let us know (soon please!!) his decision. Since his previous decisions gave us such an awesome event the first time round, I think we can trust in his decision this time round. Can't wait...

Just my 2p...
Old 17-06-2011

Yep, I think based on what has been said my $0.02 are as follows:

At the end of the day I'll be delighted to come back and race whatever the rules - my only plea is that part of the fun last time was the challenge of getting the car to run well for 24 hours. This didnt involve great expense, just a few enjoyable days hanging out with the other 24h drivers testing at the track. I would hope that the rules are as such that those who engineer clever solutions (i.e. prep and set their cars up well - not cheat) into their cars to tackle the challenge of 24 hours straight running are rewarded. I think that with BL, CVD's, RPM cups and other proposed mods the cars will be too reliable and next to no effort will be required, which for my mind is where a lot of the enjoyment lied for us - not just the event itself, but the prep leading up to it to ensure smooth running on the day. Whatever the rules 24hrs of RC racing should represent a challenge still.

Peace out.
Old 17-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian@mmr View Post
I think also it would only be fair to invite all teams back and then open up bookings to fill the slots of anyone not returning, i know we can do 2 teams no problem but would hate to find that one of you cant come back because we've nicked your place
I agree Ian. Invied all the existing teams back before taking new entries.

I think there should be a selection of scale shells available to use. The 911 GT3 RS along with the BMW M3 GT2, Ford GT, Nissan 350Z, Corvette C6 etc

The rules with a sensorless 13.5T brushless and the HPI wide offset wheels, is starting to sound even more like the SPC 4WD GT class rules.

Bit of an issue with the date at the moment, as that is the SPC-UK round at Cotswolds. However with the high number fo SPC-UK drivers spread across several teams at the 1st event, I might have to look at changing that.
Old 18-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreeder View Post
Bit of an issue with the date at the moment, as that is the SPC-UK round at Cotswolds. However with the high number fo SPC-UK drivers spread across several teams at the 1st event, I might have to look at changing that.
Sorry Martin, I hadn't realised. We need to fit this between the other events we have planned and come October it's a lot colder and our calendar is rather full so we wanted to sneak it in in September.

Of course the existing teams will be invited back first, but i'll need quick confirmations and payments as i'll have other teams pressuring me for spaces, so start getting your teams organised, confirmed and get ready to make payments end of June, then 1st July we can announce how many spaces we have left. We may look at expanding the rostrum so we can get 18 teams running. Another 4 on the track would be ok. What do the drivers think? More competition the better??
Old 18-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreeder View Post
I agree Ian. Invied all the existing teams back before taking new entries.

This is the only reason that Team Essex Monsters may not be able to come to the next one

P.S I have a selection of saturn 20t motors for sale, only used for one run each......offers..
Old 18-06-2011
Mad Member

John, 18 is fine if you choose 17.5. For 13.5 it's a recipe for a pile of broken bits and not a little frustration as teams try to put on the laps. I'd also be a bit wary of the crowd in pit lane, and the potential for 18 marshals running around the track. IMHO, 16 is OK, but 18 may just be too many. HTH
Old 18-06-2011

How do we register interest for this?? I have most of Chand-a-cola in my team as Dez wont be running it again, done a deal on a chassis etc just waiting for confirmation. Can send the deposit over tonight if needed.
Old 18-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelie600 View Post
I have most of Chand-a-cola in my team as Dez wont be running it again
1 poached member is not "Most"
Old 18-06-2011

try 2 and was gonna ask you but I wont now!!
Old 19-06-2011

Does anyone have any thoughts on running these 24hr events as a short series - I'm sure the profile of the races would rocket if this were done, and it makes it even more interesting long term. Tweak the rules as necessary between rounds to encourage a little bit of testing and keep everyone on their toes.

Obviously we wouldnt want to be running a round of this every three weeks, but maybe three rounds with three months gap between each?
Old 19-06-2011

I used to race motorbikes in an endurance series. The way we did it was 1 24hr, followed by a 6hr a month later, then a 12 hour a month later, then another 6hr, then an 18hr then the series finishing 24hr to end usually over 8 months so some of the gaps are 5 and 6 weeks between races

Cant see why it wont work in RC im trying to sort something similar for rallyx at the minute
Old 19-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysan View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on running these 24hr events as a short series - I'm sure the profile of the races would rocket if this were done, and it makes it even more interesting long term. Tweak the rules as necessary between rounds to encourage a little bit of testing and keep everyone on their toes.

Obviously we wouldnt want to be running a round of this every three weeks, but maybe three rounds with three months gap between each?
good idea in theory, however there would have to be some way of monitoring the teams i.e. all teams register the members & team members can't be switched to stop drivers switching teams.. by all means bring in a reserve driver but i can't help thinking the best drivers would make up the cream of the best teams. Plus it would have to be worked out so the events don't clash with anything else as the drivers who took part in the Ardent 24 hour were diverse from 12th & Mardave drivers to off-roaders, although perhaps 1 event per season (e.g. spring, summer, autumn winter) would make things easier on both the organisation side & for the sanity of the drivers.
Old 19-06-2011
Mad Member

I can see the sense in having a series of 6- or 8-hour Endurance events, but 24-hour races are a big commitment in time and money. I can't help feeling that participation would drop off as people ran out of time, money and holidays! And, like all these things, the novelty will wear off if it becomes just another one of those events.

In June, you get about 17 hours of daylight, in September it's going to be about 12. In February that could be as little a 10. 14 hours driving in the dark is not something that appeals to me much.

I realise we're all high on this superb event, but it just concerns me that if there are too many events with nothing hanging on the end of them (National titles, etc.) then eventually we may run out of people willing to do it, and then we have nothing. It's like suggesting that we run Le Mans four times a year, when in fact Le Mans and Daytona remain the premier events on both sides of the pond by running just once a year. Just my 2p...
Old 19-06-2011

Well said, keep it rare, keep it special, and keep it during summer when there are short nights and warm cars to sleep in ;-)
Old 20-06-2011

I agree Dez, I had a power nap in my car and woke up feeling like death! I dread to think what it would be like in the winter months.

Regarding the event as a series, I agree with Mr SlowOne, we shouldnt wear it out. I would still like the September race to go ahead though as all the new rules with brushless and tyres have me too excited.

Maybe just fix the next one after that for Le Mans 2012 on the 9th-10th June and keep it yearly from there?
Old 20-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesg View Post
I agree Dez, I had a power nap in my car and woke up feeling like death! I dread to think what it would be like in the winter months.

Regarding the event as a series, I agree with Mr SlowOne, we shouldnt wear it out. I would still like the September race to go ahead though as all the new rules with brushless and tyres have me too excited.

Maybe just fix the next one after that for Le Mans 2012 on the 9th-10th June and keep it yearly from there?
OK, so not a series but we're man enough to do it six monthly arent we, either side of all of the summer series?
Old 20-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesg View Post

OK, so not a series but we're man enough to do it six monthly arent we, either side of all of the summer series? Seems a bit of a shame now that we have more than two cars to only use them for a sum total of one day per 365.