Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 29-04-2012

Default Serpent 811BE Electrics advice

Never hear much about this car, im contemplating this or a Durango DEX408.
What other buggies have good support in the UK?

Opinions on the 808e?
Old 29-04-2012
Mad Member

Dedicated electrics aren't that frequent still on these shores. Losi has good support, the Xrays are good and strong but expensive for parts. Durango DID have a problem keeping up with demand, I don't know if this is still the case though, if it is you might struggle for spares but since they've been bough out I don't know if that's the case any more or if it's all been sorted ?

Agama have an electric in prototype, don't know when it will be out, Kyosho have the MP9 in electric form but uber expensive at £690 for the kit. Serpent Cobra 811 is okay, not super easy to get bits for like the Losi but great car.

Also the Xray 808 has now been replaced with the XB9 so I don't know if a new Xray will be coming out in dedicated electric set up ??? Xray are good cars though, good support too.

My paintwork thread
Old 29-04-2012

Budget is no more than £600 for everything (excl transmitter). For electrics was thinking Savox Servo, 2x2s Turnigy Lipos, HobbyWing 150a and 2000kV Motor, spektrum rx.

Just dont know what chassis.
Old 29-04-2012
Mad Member

I'd look for a used Losi 8ight, they're great, good parts availability too. Get yourself a used Servo too, Ace 1015's are good, or something else decent, Savox are okay but you might need to put a power cap on your speedo as there are often glitching problems which seems more common with Spektrum receivers ???

HobbyWing stuff is always highly rated and for that budget you won't get a Tekin system, I don't know anything about them though so can't comment any further, I've only seen Tekin systems used.

I think 2nd hand is going to be the best way to go, you might have more chance of finding a buggy on Max Bashing ? Also you can / could convert something else, RC Monster do good conversions and at a reasonable price too !

My paintwork thread
Old 29-04-2012

So seems like the best all round is the Losi 8ight?
What about the DEX408?

Also any idea on how much a DEX410R with SP GT Pro Servo/8.5t motor and Corrally 4200Mah saddle Lipos would sell for?
Old 30-04-2012

If you are going to use a Savox servo with a HW 1/8th ESC you may have problems. The HW esc's only have a 3A BEC which isn't really strong enough for 1/8th steering servos, and Savox servos seem to be the most power hungry, with Spektrum receivers most likely to be affected to brown out. I know some people have had issues even on short course trucks with these ESC's causing brown outs.
One solution would be to use a separate BEC, Castle Creations and Yeah Racing are two companies that make them, with many more also available if your prepared to buy online from overseas.
Gens Ace make a good 4S battery, you can get them from Giant Cod in the UK.
Old 03-05-2012

What if i continue using the Savox 1258TG i have with my current Spektrum RX?

Is the 1258TG enough for 1/8?

Im looking at this XERUN Combo
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOBBYWING-...ht_5559wt_1163

And 2 of these Lipos
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turnigy-52...ht_1177wt_1396

Car i bought is the Serpent 811BE in the end
Old 03-05-2012
Mad Member

The Savox 1258 will be fine for your steering.

I've no clue on the rest, Badger 5 has knowledge of all this and I'm sure if he sees this thread he'll be able to advise you, he has a Serpent too so you might be able to get some set up tips from him.

My paintwork thread
Old 03-05-2012

Good choice in car, quality is really top notch. You may need to get the 2.3mm roll bars and some softer rear springs though as the kit ones are the hardest.
The 1258 should be good enough for steering, but did you used to use in a nitro buggy? I had a 1256 in mine but it caused all sorts of problems with the receiver browning out even just by quickly moving the steering off the ground.
If you go to the Servo Shop, link here http://www.servoshop.co.uk/ you can get a brushless Futaba servo for a similar price of the Savox. Even my Orca 1/10th speedo can power that and it has similar torque to the 1258. I tried my 1256 on the Orca and there was no way it could power it. The 1256, 1257, and 1258 are the same series just geared differently.
Old 03-05-2012

Those batteries won't work in the Serpent, you need to use bullet connectors due to the battery trays. You could try these Gens Ace batteries http://www.giantcod.co.uk/gens-5000m...-p-406696.html
Although GiantCod show no stock at the mo they are moving warehouses, so hopefully will have more stock soon. There is also a Gens Ace store in the EU that you can buy from. But GiantCod are in the UK so ordering/delivery is easier, and there service is top notch.

Not sure about the ESC or motor as I run Tekin, but 2250kv may be a bit quick. My Tekin is 1900 kV and plenty quick enough. But I've never used the HW stuff so can't really say for sure.
Old 03-05-2012

I already own the Savox 1258TG in my DEX410R, so if i sell it im thinking of keeping my Servo and Spektrum RX. I guess ill decide once i figure out if im selling it or not, but otherwise ill look at the Futaba.

Ok thanks for the info on the Lipos, they seem just as good
Old 06-05-2012

Some people seem to think the XErun ESC may not fit, i have the dimensions if someone could check for me?

xerun 150a 58mm(L) x 46.5mm(W) x 35mm(H)
xerun 80a 58(L) x 46.5(W) x35(H)
tekin rx8 38.1(L) x 55.88(W) x 35.5(H)

So current parts to buy
Gen Ace Lipos 2x2s 5000Mah
Xerun 150A ESC and 2250KV motor combo

Owned parts to be installed
Savox 1258TG Servo
Spektrum SR3500 RX
Old 06-05-2012

I take it that you want the space in the car for the ESC measured, if so mine is 48 x 55mm. So in theory it should not fit, but Porkchop on RCtech.net has fitted a Team Orion R8 pro in his car which is basically the same unit and size so it can be done. But for sure a Tekin RX8 is a good fit.

There is also a dedicated Serpent thread on here in the manufacturers section if you want further specific info.
Old 12-05-2012

Any ideas on wheels and tyres? Ive seen these Annsmann racing wheels for £4 a pair on Modelsport, why so cheap compared to the others? Just a bit of plastic no?

And for tyres need something that works well on hard clay which is bumpy like small stones around and also has some concreted areas. Mini Pins maybe? Pro-Line Step Up (Step Pin) are on offer at Modelsport too, any good?
Old 12-05-2012
Mad Member

Is this to race or bash with ?

If it's to race ask at the club you're going to be racing at. If it's to bash I guess tyres aren't so important.

Beta tyres are very good and have a dual compound insert so they don't flex so much under hard cornering.

My paintwork thread
Old 13-05-2012

For driving mainly on the track, but not competitive racing. And some bashing in the garden grass.
Old 16-05-2012

I bought Nosram VTEC Kamikaze Medium tyres £15, SR3500 £30 and i got an Ace DS 1015 Servo £30.
Xerun 150A/2250kv combo and Gens Ace 5000Mah Lipos left to buy. =P

Ill get pics this weekend.