Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 09-06-2012

Default Spektrum DX3C, Does it have range problems?

Yeah so i didnt do all the research i should have done when buying this system, i bought it last year, it was last couple of units that were still on sale after it became discontinued.

Now after getting to grips with RC cars and my confidence building i took it to Slough track and noticed my DEX 410R was cutting out on the far right of the track...

Though after visiting the track some more i didnt have an issue.

Now i got y 1/8th tried driving it 20m and it cuts out and goes into failsafe. Using a SR3520 RX.

Swap in my old SR300 from my Xray T2 and i get about 35m before cut out, far enough but still thats pretty bad isnt it?

I opened my DX2.0 up and its a Revision E, so one of the later releases i think.

Any tips and tricks you know that would help i would appreciate as there are absolutely tons of posts regarding the DX3.0 (probably why i didnt pick up on the issue in the first place) of range problems.

I think sadly my warranty will not work as i did the mod to convert it to a DX3.0 but i might be over 1 year too. Im at Uni so dont get that much time and didnt realise this was a big issue till my 1/8 cut out very very early down my street in both directions

Currently testing and my battery is at 10.5v, that shouldnt have too much effect should it?
Old 15-06-2012

Any help guys?
Old 15-06-2012
Mad Member

Try power cap in receiver?
Old 15-06-2012

I didn't try the capacitor because I thought that mainly helps in high current drain situations, when I test out range I drive slowly and turn gently, I'd power was the proem it would cut out close by if I turned the servo sharp and quickly but it doesn't, only when it's far away it does cut out.
Old 17-06-2012

Send a message via MSN to russmini

I suppose the obvious question would be;

How have you 'mounted' your aerial in the various cars ? Perhaps thats your problem.
Old 18-06-2012

Aerials are all mounted with aerial tube with atleast 3inches of aerial in the tube pointing directly vertical.

Im looking at maybe getting a DX3C, any opinions on that? Does it have similar problems like the DX2.0 and DX3.0 radios?
Old 18-06-2012

It was reported by BigSquidRc that Spektrums do have less range than more expensive units, but we are still talking 200 metres or so whereas Futaba and Sanwa were good for over 1km!!
Could it be that you have issues with interference? Are you sure that the receiver isn't browning out? Can you run the car with the body shell off and see if the yellow LED goes out at all.
I think the first DX2 systems use the original DSM radio modulation, and the DX3 systems can use DSM2 which should be less susceptible to interference.
Old 18-06-2012

I dont think its browning out because im just driving really slow in a near straight line giving it some steering to check if it responds. It then goes into failsafe till i return to neutral steering/throttle and walk up to the vehicle till it reconnects.

If it was browning out due to servos wouldnt it do that at closer range too?
Also i went to the park yesterday, same problem, i even tried at the other side of my block.

If i could get 200m i would be happy.

And im testing with 3 Rx's, 1 new and 2 bought from here. Ive swapped between vehicles too.
Old 18-06-2012

Could be a Tx issue, I think with all the known problems that Spektrum can have it's just best to go through those first. And as ever it can be hard to diagnose without seeing it. The only other thing I can think of on the car that it could be is a bad connection from the ESC to the receiver causing the voltage to drop without any real load.
Could you borrow another Tx to try when you are next at the track?
Old 18-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
Could be a Tx issue, I think with all the known problems that Spektrum can have it's just best to go through those first. And as ever it can be hard to diagnose without seeing it. The only other thing I can think of on the car that it could be is a bad connection from the ESC to the receiver causing the voltage to drop without any real load.
Could you borrow another Tx to try when you are next at the track?
All 3 cars cant have bad connections though??? =/ Im pretty sure its a TX issue.

I have only just got into driving on the track and havent been involved in any events really so i dont know anyone with spektrum gear, so for now that is the only thing i havent tested, but would give me the definitive answer.

Do you have any idea if the newer spektrums like the DX3C are any good? Its only £70 not too bad really.

I just made a quick video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li0rb...ature=youtu.be
Old 19-06-2012

Send a message via MSN to metalmickey0

I have a Dx3c and have had no problems at all. And also all my car antennas are layed flat on the cars chassis. Never bothered with the 3 inch sticky up thing or even putting the tx aerial in the upright position.
All the tracks i used are indoors large hall or outdoor large track and all is fine. So maybe you have a faulty one?
Old 19-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmickey0 View Post
I have a Dx3c and have had no problems at all. And also all my car antennas are layed flat on the cars chassis. Never bothered with the 3 inch sticky up thing or even putting the tx aerial in the upright position.
All the tracks i used are indoors large hall or outdoor large track and all is fine. So maybe you have a faulty one?
Well its not too bad on the track, only once did my DEX410R cut out at the far end of the track.

Its bad in terms of driving in the park grass area or down my road. I cant get very far at all, at most 45m with my DX2.0.

Would you mind testing how far you have to drive for your DX3C to lose signal? I will buy a DX3C if someone can prove to me it doesnt suffer the same range problems as the older Spektrums, otheriwse i think itll cost me around £110 to convert to Futaba 4PL system.

Here is my range test video
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/70711577/IMG_0360.MOV

Please download and take a look.
Old 19-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjeet View Post
Would you mind testing how far you have to drive for your DX3C to lose signal?
Not sure if i can do that for you at mo as i live in a flat and only time i can use my stuff is at a track. But see what i can do
Old 19-06-2012

Did you have a look at my video? Would you agree thats short range?
Old 19-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjeet View Post
Did you have a look at my video? Would you agree thats short range?
Sorry it wouldnt load for me so couldnt see it
Old 19-06-2012

My son's DX3C is good for at least 100 Metres with antenna laying flat in car. Never tried to go further. Hope that helps
Old 19-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmickey0 View Post
Sorry it wouldnt load for me so couldnt see it
Right click "save link as"

100m would be nice, i went to my local hobby shop, and he agreed to order a DX3C in and let me test it before i buy.

He had a DX3S which he said i could test, but said it will have more range than the DX3C, is that true? It uses older DSM tech compared to the DX3C using DSM2 as well. I was under the impression they would have very similar range.
Old 20-06-2012

I think i can sell my DX2.0, SR300, SR3500 and SR3520 for about £135.
A Futaba 4PL on ebay is £162 with a R2104GF rx, and another 2xR2104GF will be £70 for a total of £232.

That means to change systems itll cost me £97, worth it? Ive seen videos where Futaba can get over 1km in range!

In a big park and massive fields its nice to get the car far away and not worry itll drop out. And on my Xray T2 i cant even get enough range to get full speed atm