Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 28-06-2012

Default SWB Cat restoration, can anyone help?

Hi

I have a SWB cat thats a bit of a mess at the moment. Its chassis and top deck are badly 'home' made and all three drive belts are very worn. I'm gonna check the sdp belt Kazsal mentioned on yatchys xls/swb restoration thread.

A 6Z16M298045 from sdp-si.com

https://sdp-si.com/eStore/PartDetail...54&GroupID=342

I've got a couple of rear ones from a procat restoration that should fit.

As for the chassis and top deck I'll get one made but I'd like to get a 'white' GRP one cut. Does anyone know of any sources where I can get this material? Someone mentioned this being the subject of a previous thread on here but I've looked and can't find anything.

I also need a front axle T086 if anyone has got a spare one, or failing that if someone can give me the dimensions I'll make one. Other parts required are:
2 x front hubs T029 (the originals have split)
2 x upper pivot blocks T079 (originals drilled so wishbone mounting is sloppy?)
2 x Front upper pivot blocks T058 (Large screw has ruined threads)
1 x Rear track rod A095
And total long shot but an original front bumpr would be nice. Or failing that an XL bumper in reasonable to good condition.

Is anyone making repro cat tyres?

Also can you still get screw that look like the originals from anywhere?

Thanks to people on oople, rctech and schumacher forums for help on my Top Cat and Pro Cat projects the cars are looking great, will post some pictures of both soon.

Alex

Nostalgia
Schumacher Boss Cat ...... Schumacher Pro Cat ...... Schumacher Cat XLS ....... Schumacher Cat XL ...... Schumacher SWB Cat ...... Schumacher Top Cat ...... Schumacher Top Cat 89 Worlds Replica ...... Yokomo Super Dogfighter YZ870c ...... Kyosho Optima Mid LWB ...... Kyosho Optima Mid SWB ...... PB Maxima ...... PB Mini Mustang ...... Marui Ninja ...... Marui Samurai ...... Mardave Cobra ...... Mardave Meteor ...... Mardave Meteor LWB
Old 28-06-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt track date View Post
As for the chassis and top deck I'll get one made but I'd like to get a 'white' GRP one cut. Does anyone know of any sources where I can get this material? Someone mentioned this being the subject of a previous thread on here but I've looked and can't find anything.
Search for G10 epoxy sheet to find suppliers, there are plenty around everywhere and can even be ordered by any hobby shop with an account with MacGregor. Most hobby size sheets are 6" x 12", which might be a bit short. I would suggest Presspahn

Quote:
Is anyone making repro cat tyres?
No need for repros as Schumacher still sell them in soft compound fronts rears

Quote:
Also can you still get screw that look like the originals from anywhere?
The screws are just standard pan head self tapping screws in no.4 and no.2 size, available from most hardware suppliers. For small quantities I would usually use Modelfixings.co.uk

Old 28-06-2012

Default SWB restoration

Hi Terry

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm on the case.......

Alex

Nostalgia
Schumacher Boss Cat ...... Schumacher Pro Cat ...... Schumacher Cat XLS ....... Schumacher Cat XL ...... Schumacher SWB Cat ...... Schumacher Top Cat ...... Schumacher Top Cat 89 Worlds Replica ...... Yokomo Super Dogfighter YZ870c ...... Kyosho Optima Mid LWB ...... Kyosho Optima Mid SWB ...... PB Maxima ...... PB Mini Mustang ...... Marui Ninja ...... Marui Samurai ...... Mardave Cobra ...... Mardave Meteor ...... Mardave Meteor LWB
Old 28-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
The screws are just standard pan head self tapping screws in no.4 and no.2 size, available from most hardware suppliers. For small quantities I would usually use Modelfixings.co.uk

Thanks for that link Terry - will probably need to get some fixings for my TopCat re-build, I presume the No.2s are the smaller screws that are used for the bearing holders (gearbox side plates & at the front axles - on a 2wd)? - then No.4s being the size for the rest (obv in different lengths)?
Old 28-06-2012
Mad Member

Yes, no.2 screws are 2.2mm diameter, the no.4 screws are 2.9mm diameter. Screw lengths are also all imperial, Modelfixings lists all the metric equivalent sizes in their lists.
Old 28-06-2012

The original front bumper was a bent piece of grey plastic, that needed spacers to clear the front pulley and belt (which the under tray wrapped around. They were 'a bit' brittle when new, so the chances of finding one are small...
XRAY T1 - 3 years since it last ran
X10 - Ebay purchase
X11 - Ebay purchase and rebuild Project
DEX410 - 2 weeks since it last ran
Old 03-08-2012

Glad to see another SWB project under way. How's it coming along mate?

I have a SWB car which I built from parts. I custom cut (by hand and sanded to a neat finish) some white glass sheet that I purchased from Keith @ KAMTEC models (he makes lots of repro shells). This worked well for me.

As for the front grey bumper I managed to find one and I can tell you it is very VERY brittle. So brittle in fact that it snapped clean when I lifted the car at the nose by holding the bumper- DOH!!! I can assure you I was really peeved when this happened and am still upset that it broke so easily. From what I was told it was new old stock. I wish someone would repro this item.

I am in need of a short main belt myself, have you had any luck finding these?

Got any pics to share of your car so far?

Cheers-Jason
Old 03-08-2012
Mad Member

I think this would this fit...

A 6Z16M298045 from sdp-si.com

https://sdp-si.com/eStore/PartDetail...54&GroupID=342

It's 4.5mm wide, which is a bit wider than the kit item (4mm)

Old 06-08-2012

Just came across this post. Was reading with intrest as I have a SWB Cat

Heres the pics

It goes with out saying this car without a doubt was the hardest car in my collection to get together. Built over the period of a year with all new parts. I had one a few years before this but got offered silly money for it so I sold that one. Stupidly I then spent the next year after that trying to repleicate what I sold, and here she is. I was very fortunate to buy a modelshop out of all of there oldstock schumacher stuff a couple of years ago and amongst the lot were some VERY rare parts, SWB cat chassis's, sevral grey bumpers rare alloy cougar chassis's LOADS & LOADS. Jason if memory serves you bought a grey bumper from me, Mines still on the car you see above, sorry to here yours got broken...they are a rare piece!

I did buy some GRP sheet a couple of years ago and I got fibrelyte to cut a whole bunch of swb cat and xls & procat chassis's out for me (these are now all sold)

It took me a good few months to come across a swb belt but they are out there, seem to remember I paid £20 for the belt alone!!! anyway, Im pretty sure I have 1 of the bumpers left in my parts lot its new with the 4 spacers, pm me if your intrested.

Good luck with your build
Scott
Old 06-08-2012

Hi Scott,

Sadly my bumper broke and I was shocked at how easily it broke. Not dropped or driven into something but simply snapped clean off when I lifted the car (without any electrics mounted) in part by the bumper.

Mate if yours does not sell I'd be interested in replacing the one I have (and never lift the car by it again) so please keep me in mind.

Cheers-Jason
Old 06-08-2012

No worries jason, let me know, not sure what to ask for it but sure we can come to a deal

Loving your current uploads of your cars mate, V.NICE!! Really loved that xls shell you painted a few years ago (the brown one) was that done with rattle cans also??

Scott
Old 06-08-2012

Hi Scott.
Yes another rattle can job

Here it is-

Old 06-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORMAC View Post
Hi Scott,

Sadly my bumper broke and I was shocked at how easily it broke. Not dropped or driven into something but simply snapped clean off when I lifted the car (without any electrics mounted) in part by the bumper.

Mate if yours does not sell I'd be interested in replacing the one I have (and never lift the car by it again) so please keep me in mind.

Cheers-Jason
I did say they were brittle - even when new. The intervening 25 years will not have helped...
XRAY T1 - 3 years since it last ran
X10 - Ebay purchase
X11 - Ebay purchase and rebuild Project
DEX410 - 2 weeks since it last ran
Old 23-08-2012

Default SWB Cat update

Hi

Thanks for all the help so far. The cat comming on very slowly, due to getting married / honeymoon, lack of funds, spares for racing etc..... As soon as its worth posting some pictures i'll get some up........ Bormac / Jason sorry to hear about your bumper, that really sucks, i'll be sure to bear it in mind when I fit mine to the car, defo do NOT pick the car up by the bumper.

The only parts i've still got to find are T086 Front Axle and T029 Front Hub if anyone out there has either new or used parts drop me a PM.

Thanks

Alex

Nostalgia
Old 23-08-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Hi Scott,

Cheers-Jason

Can get those NIP but as singer Amy diamond use to sing " whats in it for me"

mvh isobarik
Old 24-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by isobarik View Post
Can get those NIP but as singer Amy diamond use to sing " whats in it for me"

mvh isobarik
GBP maybe???
Old 25-08-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
GBP maybe???

Any thing to trade with ???

mvh isobarik

btw how many bumpers did you want???
Old 25-08-2012
Mad Member

Guys I found these two new spurs in a parts box....they have Schumacher moulded on them....are they from a Cat?
Old 25-08-2012
Mad Member

yepp they are

mvh isobarik
Old 26-08-2012

Hey Iso,

Depends what you might need (and what I might have as trade).
Cheers-Jason