Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 09-09-2012
Mad Member

Default BRCA Insurance

Just a conversation with a friend who attended the BRCA 8th Nitro Nationals at Wakefield !!

At the Drivers/Marshals Meeting at the beginning of the meeting they were all told to Marshal as you would like to be Marshaled !

Nothing new in this you say ! I Agree

But to add to this comment was said, you are only insured by the BRCA Insurance whilst you are at you Marshal Point, Not when you go to marshal a car which needs help !
So be careful as you Marshal the Cars at your own risk !!

Basically WTF

Surely this can't be right, you can't Marshal from your post to remain insured, the whole point of the insurance for me ( and my children ) is the fact you are insured if something does go wrong !!

The way it was said to me when I was racing 8th Nitro that everybody that races at a track inside the track perimeter ( catch fencing ) has to be insured to be able to enter this area because of insurance !

If known you are only insured at the post and not to Marshal, the this negates the point of Marshaling and the cost of the insurance for racers !

Thoughts and Comments Please !!!!!!!!!
Support from: My Back Pocket

Driver - 'Derek'
Feedback Link : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48311
Old 09-09-2012
Mad Member

I think that if your concerned then you should approach the BRCA directly. They should be able to clear it up for you.
Old 09-09-2012

It's allways been the same.....if you leave the safety of the marshal point you have made that decision/risk assessment on your own, if you feel that it is safe to go your on your own.

On another note if you want a "fun" marshalling experience at a tc track in mendip you are in the fence in a small stall at the fastest part of the track, that makes you run!
Old 10-09-2012
Mad Member

Yes, you are insured at your marshalling point because you have to be there and your safety there is the clubs responsibility. Stepping on to the track to marshal it is assumed you have enough sense to not step out in front of an approaching car, in the same way you won't be able to claim on the drivers insurance if you deliberately step out in front of a 1:1 car.

You need BRCA membership to insure you while you are driving, if your car shoots off and injures someone or something such as the 1:1 cars around the track, your BRCA insurance will cover it.

If you think that if you can't work you could end up losing your house, then you should already have your own personal accident insurance which would cover being hit by an r/c car. After all, breaking an ankle by an r/c car on a track hitting you is no different to being hit by a stray r/c car hitting you in a car park or even breaking an ankle by tripping on some stairs.
Old 10-09-2012

From the BRCA insurance rules.

Marshalling is an accepted part of our sport, we race and then we marshal is the built in ethos, though of course ability and age are sometimes taken into consideration.

It is also accepted that racing tracks, of all sizes, are dangerous places to be, however somebody will determine a safe place to marshal from (it may be self determined at a club or by an official at a National – it doesn’t matter) while you are at your marshal post/point the insurance cover applies. But when YOU decide to leave that post and retrieve a car then do be aware that YOU have made that decision – it’s then your responsibility to keep yourself safe. You cannot blame and therefore claim off yourself, when you get it wrong.
Old 10-09-2012

I'm fairly sure you used to be covered whilst inside the track perimeter, both on/off marshall points. You wait, next year you wont be covered on your marshall point !
Old 10-09-2012

Hi All

Craig, Terry & Stumpy have it spot on.

Once YOU make the decision to leave the marshals post, you have made that call and if a car then hits you it's essentially your fault.
The insurance is really aimed at ensuring you, as a driver, or event official, don't have to put your hand very deeply into your pocket when somebody sue's you after a car - heaven forbid - ends up in the spectators..
(which has unfortunatly happended, there have been a few serious accidents over the years)

The cover whilst at your post is really an added bonus as it's a carry over from the full sized motorsport world (our policy is actually a scaled down version of the same one the Motorsport association use)

However what it doesn't include is -
Personal Accident Cover (i.e. where you through your own actions, such as tripping over a perfectly ok track marker, or stepping out right in front of a car basically hurt yourself)
This has been offered to the membership a couple of times but always rejected out of hand due to the cost of it (it would basically triple the membership fee)

Terry summed up the next bit very nicley:-
If you think that if you can't work you could end up losing your house, then you should already have your own personal accident insurance which would cover being hit by an r/c car. After all, breaking an ankle by an r/c car on a track hitting you is no different to being hit by a stray r/c car hitting you in a car park or even breaking an ankle by tripping on some stairs.

Any high street broker can provide this, it's not too expensive and well worth it if you don't have some other form of income protection.

To finish off
The cover has always been like this - it hasn't changed for at least the last 25 years.
There are currently no plans to change it. - though it is always reviewed.

Last bit is this:-
It's everybodies job to ensure safety, if YOU think anything is unsafe at an event it's YOUR responsability to inform race control, be it a poor track markers, marshals post badly sited or protected, dodgy bumper on a car even somebodies driving..

Stay safe out there!

Jim Spencer
Treasurer (& Insurance Bod)
BRCA
Old 10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthawk View Post
The way it was said to me when I was racing 8th Nitro that everybody that races at a track inside the track perimeter ( catch fencing ) has to be insured to be able to enter this area because of insurance !

To quantify the above bit:-

The insurance works two ways, you as a driver and for the folks running the race meeting for you.

The statement probably was / should have been:-
"everybody has to be a member to enter the track perimieter becasue of the insurance."

This is because inside the 'Perimieter' lies the 'Track and the Pit Lane'.

To the outside, non RC Car Racing world, these terms mean 'A place of known danger'.

If the bloke running race control knowingly allowed a Non Member* into 'A place of Known danger' while a Race was in progress and something went pear shaped they would be in the cacky stuff - though fortunatly with our insurance to back them up - to the point of criminal negligence anyway!

In short nobody in their right mind would run any model car race without PL cover being in place for everybody competing or going inside the track perimiter - they would be taking a HUGE risk otherwise.

Hopefully this explains why the initial statement was made and why you need to be a member to go into a Pitlane at an IC National for example.

*NOTE - In some circumstances membership of other bodies will suffice, such as membership of an other countries Governing Body within Europe and the BMFA cover is fine for bashing and some local club level events.
Though quite happy to answer questions on this one when the odd occasion crops up (normally somebody on their hols here with their car!)

Hope this helps

Jim
Old 10-09-2012
Mad Member

Hmmm interesting reading,

I wonder when the first person will say 'sorry I can't move from my Marshall point I'm not insured'

Also how far away from the Marshall point are you 'uninsured'
Old 10-09-2012

Well I was the one hit by a 8th nitro car on Saturday at the National at Wakefield.
I Marshalled a car on the straight, which then had an engine cut when put upright,
My mistake was to pick it up a second time ! And as on the straight put into the pit lane, Which was nearer to me than my Marshall point.
In that fraction of time, another car collided into my ankle.
It does make you think though, at race speeds thinks happen / go wrong very quickly !!
So I know we all have to take extra care.

I'm Currently waiting to get X-rayed as its still that dam painful.
I'll let you all know how I get on.
Old 10-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUpton View Post

I wonder when the first person will say 'sorry I can't move from my Marshall point I'm not insured'

especialy at the start of some races,where the grid is on the far side and marshals are told to move by race control,

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 10-09-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:

If its a chair, when you leave it, its a barrier or cordoned off area, soon as you leave the area. Your within your rights not to move, but I would expect the same when you need to be marshalled.
As has been said we have third party public liability, if your worried take out personal accident protection.
Old 10-09-2012
Mad Member

Quote:

If that happend then would the venue have to provide marshalls?

I can only imagine factoring that into the entry fee, then you have all the employeement law to think of - Training, SSOW, Risk Assessments, Accident Books, Riddor Reports - it would destroy the hobby.
Old 10-09-2012
SHRCCC Legend

Very interesting post, especially for those who run clubs.

It was my understanding that your marshall 'post' was the track in which area you covered.

A 'post' would, in my limited knowledge, need to be explained and outlined, whether this be a chair to sit on/painted 'area' to stand or enlosed compound, maybe even a physical post that you needed to be in contact with.

It is very much open to opinion as it does seem vague. Some positions are on the track, but not anywhere near where a car races.

Interesting debate which I'll be watching.... I'm sure common sense will out.
Old 10-09-2012
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to danDanEFC

@Jim

Perhaps people could be given the offer 'Personal Accident Insurance' with their membership as an extra
Old 10-09-2012

I think that would be a great idea !!

But then, I now would say that
Old 10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudders View Post
Very interesting post, especially for those who run clubs.

It was my understanding that your marshall 'post' was the track in which area you covered.

A 'post' would, in my limited knowledge, need to be explained and outlined, whether this be a chair to sit on/painted 'area' to stand or enlosed compound, maybe even a physical post that you needed to be in contact with.

It is very much open to opinion as it does seem vague. Some positions are on the track, but not anywhere near where a car races.

Interesting debate which I'll be watching.... I'm sure common sense will out.

Hi

It's already covered in the Rules.

Marshals posts may be a physical construction or may be a self determined place you decide to stand at.
Obvioulsy both are behind the track edging - but within the track perimiter.

The Common Sense bit is the bit everybody struggles with as people go looking for it all explained in a great deal of detail and it's simply not done like that - even at full sized racing circuits, for example:-

The Main Observers posts at Oulton Park are huge breeze block construction, about half a dozen marshals are in each one - but the next flag marshals post is determined by where the bloke in the pickup truck dropped off a couple of fire extinguishers that morning, albeit possibly then adjusted by the Marshal when he got there.
They, just like us, have their posts behind the track edging but inside the track Perimiter - just a very large degree of physical size difference!

There's actually no debate as such, as NOTHING has changed, just some folks don't actually read the rules, or explain things a bit out of kilter with reality, or expect a high degree of detail which isn't there.

This all works on 'Principles' and application of 'Best Practice' as per most Insurance.
Old 10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by danDanEFC View Post
@Jim

Perhaps people could be given the offer 'Personal Accident Insurance' with their membership as an extra
Hi

We looked at this..

If it was done as an inclusion in the membership fee - i.e. everybody has it, but it's very strictly limited to how much for what sort of injury, then you can make it work - but it would literally triple the membership fee*

If you make it optional the likely take up (as most people will already have sick pay, income protection etc etc - which is basically the same thing with a different name attached) was estimated, by the broker who's done a few of these, at well under 10% - so it would make it very expensive indeed as then the 'worst case scenario' isn't offset by enough 'better than averages'

The cheapest way of getting Personal Accident insurance is therefore to take it out yourself if you haven't already got it via the other personal insurances we're all up to our neck in these days.

NOTE
*Oddly it was only at the 2010 AGM when this was last offered to the floor, didn't even get a seconder.. but I was asked and therefore got the quote..
Old 10-09-2012

The 1/8 off road clubs all know this is the case at HNMC there is protection round 5~6 marshal points and at all club events we don't start the heats or finals till all marshals are at there postions.
As stated above this has been the case the clubs should ensure only brca members marshal and pit within the track area as all members should know the rules and on under 12 marshalling nitro.
All racers/marshal should have suitable footware.
Jim

Last edited by jimbot; 10-09-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 10-09-2012
Mad Member

Unfortunally it is just one of those things Motorsport is a dangerous and youdo thingsat your own risk

In June i was hit in the leg by a car exiting the pit lane and yes i did look on the straight and then the pit lane before going over the pit lane and there was nothing there by the time i had got my 2nd foot in the pit lane to enter across the straight BANG to late car had wacked me in my leg;

It has left me with 8 weeks in plaster and i am know in a leg brace aided with crutches and alot more treatment to come yet;

It has caused a severe amount of damage by severe soft tissue injury to top of foot ankles and lower leg and also damaged the top surface of all the bones in the surrounding area

Green cross code comes to mind for me when i am at meeting from now on

So this is how easily a accident can happen and occur at any meeting

Crtpromachine