Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 18-02-2013

Question Servo analog vs digital

Right I'm after some honest opinions now I know digital is meant to be better give more torque and be better at the short snappy instructions/corrections

But do I really need to be spending on a digital when I'm just getting back into things?

Chances are a digital would react faster than I could tell it to anyways

I found my old Futaba s3003 and noticed they are dirt cheap on eBay
Would this work alongside the new 2.4g receivers(google is a minefield of yes and no but mainly that at .20 speed it's too slow even tho the digital one is the same speed :/

I'm tempted to buy a second one (building 2 cars) rather than spend 60gbp on 2 new digital ones leaving me with enough cash to grab my second esc

So do the analog servos work alongside the new 2.4g recievers?

Thanks ste
Old 18-02-2013

Analogue servos sometimes buzz on neutral with digital radio gear but some like my Futaba 3VCS have a mode setting to allow their use.

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80777
Old 18-02-2013

I can put up with a little buzzing when I can pick up 5 for 10gbp from eBay
Solong as that's all that it will be but if I'm blowing things every 10 mins that's a diff problem?
Old 18-02-2013

Which radio have you got?

Most radios have a setting for non-digital servos. But yes if you use a radio in a high response mode then you can damage an analogue servo.
Old 18-02-2013

Haven't got a radio yet but was looking at a 69.99 CORE R/C CODE 2.4G FHSS 2 Stick 3Ch Transmitter & Receiver
Old 18-02-2013
Banned

I'd guess that the servo will work with most any radio set you get, as I've used older-style analog servos with newer equipment with no issues -- but I'd think that you'd find that the S3003 servos to be crap compared to literally anything sold today and you'd be wasting your time.
I drove a car with one in it last year, and not only was it slow but it was also so lacking in any guts/torque that it made the car all but undriveable. I found it hard to believe we existed with those old Futaba servos back in the day.
There are so many better options available today, and for comparatively little more funds, that I'd suggest choosing literally anything else.
Old 18-02-2013

I've recommended alturn servos to everyone who asks servos, my bulletproof aas750mg is £18. I recently plugged in some classics, futaba f14-sp indirect drives, and although they worked they buzzed and clicked like mad. I would save the hassle of changing crap every 5 mins like I used to and get yourself something up to the job.
Old 18-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby View Post
I'd guess that the servo will work with most any radio set you get, as I've used older-style analog servos with newer equipment with no issues -- but I'd think that you'd find that the S3003 servos to be crap compared to literally anything sold today and you'd be wasting your time.
I drove a car with one in it last year, and not only was it slow but it was also so lacking in any guts/torque that it made the car all but undriveable. I found it hard to believe we existed with those old Futaba servos back in the day.
There are so many better options available today, and for comparatively little more funds, that I'd suggest choosing literally anything else.
Yea I know it's what I used when I last raced and in reflection the servo is one of the cheapest things I'm going to be buying I suppose I'm trying to save money where isn't needed saying that tho I may keep the one I currently have in the second car as it won't be used alot (ill only be able to make meets 1/3 weeks

I know my build is relatively cheap with getting 2 chassis kits for 110gbp so after electrics I'm looking at a sub 300gbp (just) car each that said I still need battery's I believe around 15-30gbp each for lipos and a decent charger. I'm thinking 3batterys a car? (Or that's what I used to have)
Old 19-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordslimjim View Post
I'm thinking 3batterys a car? (Or that's what I used to have)
If you are running car/spare car. 2 batteries will be fine. LiPos don't need anywhere near the level of care and babying that nimh/nicads used to.
Run, leave for 20 mins (to cool down a bit), top up, run.

If its two different cars (2wd/4wd) you may need 2 per car. Unless they can use the same batteries. Then 3 should be more than enough.
(I don't know what cars you have)

Spend a bit more on a charger. Something with some spare watts will allow you to actually charge at 1C. There are plenty of threads on here where the question "what charger" has been asked!
Old 19-02-2013

Location: Nottingham till I retire, then Caribbean or Palawan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggy#0 View Post
I've recommended alturn servos to everyone who asks servos, my bulletproof aas750mg is £18. I recently plugged in some classics, futaba f14-sp indirect drives, and although they worked they buzzed and clicked like mad. I would save the hassle of changing crap every 5 mins like I used to and get yourself something up to the job.
I use the high speed version of that, the AAS-752MG, and it has been AWESOME! Really awesome!

Like the OP I came back to RC last year, and initially tried to re-use my old Futaba S3003s with a 2.4Ghz radio. They work perfectly well without buzzing, and infact still have one in my old TL01. But for racing they are too slow, I just couldn't keep up with anyone in the quick sweepers.

The Alturn USA servos are amazing bargains! I'd buy one
Old 19-02-2013

Send a message via MSN to metalmickey0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
The Alturn USA servos are amazing bargains! I'd buy one
I got one in one of my buggys as well and i`m very impressed with it. Am even thinking of getting another for my truck to replace my power hungry Savox