Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 14-01-2008

ah ...ok, do you know which ones to get ?
Old 14-01-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

I really don't know, there might be the type and rating on the instructions for your esc?
Old 14-01-2008

Default DURGA V 501X

Jimmy, you did well at "SOUTHPORT" with your DURGA would you have done any better with your "501X". I have a 501 and am thinking of getting a DURGA and looking @ the price of spares dont think I can go wrong.Is the upgrades you have on it the Slipper Clutch.& One Way.

Thanks Very Much,

MARTIN
Old 14-01-2008
Administrator

Hi, yeah I had the Slipper and One way on the car - along with the shocks off my 501X. I've driven more dialled cars for sure - it just wasn't amazing yesterday but I'd put it down to the tyres. It was good though and I'm happy with my qualifying position.
I can't say I'd have done better with my 501X but it's certainly more finely adjustable and tunable a race car. I'll get some new tyres if I go to York with it next weekend
Old 14-01-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttmonkey1969 View Post
Dunno if this has been asked b4 but is it recommended to run a capacitor across the motor wires of these 540's ?
No, there's no need to add capacitors as they are mounted inside the can. If you do want to add extras you need 16v 0.1uf capacitors.
Old 14-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
No, there's no need to add capacitors as they are mounted inside the can. If you do want to add extras you need 16v 0.1uf capacitors.
Cheers for the info Terry
Old 15-01-2008

Hi guys,

My son (and I) just finished building his Durga (with slipper and TRF501 shocks). The car is great and handle superbly!

We just received a few hop-up's (CVD's) and Fluorine coated Suspension balls (No.: 53709).
I noticed that this ball is slightly bigger than the original one (+ 0.4 mm). Is it a problem? Anyone has already installed these balls?
Any feedback appreciated.
Old 15-01-2008
Administrator

I thought you meant balls for the camber links etc - but are these for the suspension hinge pins to replace the plastic kit items? When you say bigger, are they longer or bigger diameter? There is a little slop especially at the front - and the balls can pop out in a crash, so maybe a little bigger isn't a bad thing?
Old 15-01-2008

Thanks for the fast answer Jimmy!
I mean the ball at the end of the suspension hinge pins. Actually it is a bit longer. It's true that the whole suspension is a bit loose... so as you say it could help! I will give a try and report!

cheers
Old 15-01-2008

Got my membership sorted with tony at Kiddy car club today so plan on running mine there at some point in the next few days(if it EVER stops raining!)
Anyone got any tips on setup for this track. I have the 1 way, and 501x shocks available to fit but thought I would run it stock to begin with. Any advice appreciated or if anyone is about who'd like to join me??
Old 15-01-2008

Oh and what are the best general tyres?
Schumacher spikes? Where can I get em?

Cheers
Old 16-01-2008

This car looks amazing. I love the body. What is the most commonly broken part on the car?
Old 16-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchB. View Post
This car looks amazing. I love the body. What is the most commonly broken part on the car?
Well, some hop ups will save parts being broken or wearing out early...mainly the slipper clutch which will save your transmission some grief (if set properly)...but so far, probably the buggy's weakest point seems to be the rear shock tower...
Old 16-01-2008
Mad Member

...and there is a possible fix for the shock tower too, Jimmy has already detailed it in his review, basically mount the wing further back. Since I did this I haven't re-broken my tower, although I haven't landed on my lid as often either as I am more used to the car.

I haven't broken a single other part on it, and everything else still seems in good condition (although the CVA shocks are starting to feel the strain I think - getting very wobbly indeed!)

In fact, last night I broke a servo gear rather than a chassis part, shows that the car itself is tough - tougher than my electrics unfortunately
Old 16-01-2008

No one got any suggestions as to tyres?
Jimmy what will you be replacing your bald ones with?
Old 16-01-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneski View Post
Oh and what are the best general tyres?
Schumacher spikes? Where can I get em?

Cheers
There is no such thing as a "best" tyre, or a "general" tyre for that matter.

It all depends on the track.

However the Schumacher Minispike in Yellow compound is probably the tyre that works on most UK surfaces, from dry grass through to the various indoor surfaces. These are pretty widely available from shops.
Old 16-01-2008
Administrator

indeed. I am extremely tight when it comes to buying new tyres
I will get some schummy mini pins if I go to York regional this weekend. I usually prefer schumacher mini spikes as they are just more forgiving and easier to drive.
Old 16-01-2008

Cheers gents,
I know I will never get a one size fits all kind of tyre but they seem close enough for someone of my standard. (and I'll still use the kit ones) I shall get some forthwith.

Had a blast today and found the car very easy to predict. May have just been the wetness of the track but found the car wanted to understeer into a turn when off power but when back on power it went into a very predictable and controllable powerslide ))
Lots of fun. Would fitting the one way lessen the initial understeer?
Old 16-01-2008
Administrator

yes, the off power (or motor braking) is beause of the front differential. With the one way it will steer much more off power. Different way of driving I guess - it took me a couple of rounds to get back into racing with a one-way when I put one in the Durga last weekend.
Old 16-01-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

I quite like the way it drives without actualy, on carpet with the kit tyres, I got some yellows to try too.