Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 12-04-2014

Default Big bore v small bore

What's the difference between using big bore shocks and small bore shocks? Apart from the size
Old 12-04-2014

I find that small bores are more precise but are affected by bumps where as big bores are numb but dont upset the car over bumps
Old 12-04-2014

I have the big bore shocks on my Tamiya 201xm and 502, now i found on the 201 the car was better over the bumps and landed better, i did not notice any difference with the steering response or feeling numb.
On the 502 i preferred the feel of the smaller shocks as the car felt more responsive especially under acceleration, even thou im not sure how or why. Over bumpy stuff it was a more compliant and seemed to bounce around a lot less when using the big bores.
Best to test back to back and play around with cambers a bit, your find a set up that suits your driving style.

jK
Old 12-04-2014

Thank you. Been looking at a couple of rb6's for sale, ones got small bore and ones got big bore. Just wanted to check the differance before I buy as still quite new to this.
Old 14-04-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Basically a preference thing but in a nutshell

Small bore shocks will make the car feel more 'alive' and agressive at the expense of small ripple complience and large jump landing absorbsion.

Big bores will make the car feel less alive and calmer and will be better over small bumps and large jump landings at the expense of a little bit of nimbleness in fast direction changes.

I personally think that it is only the F1 drivers out there that will gain on a true off-road surface with small bores where as the rest of us will have a safer car on big bores.
On smooth surfaces like indoor tracks the lines blur a lot, especially if it's tight and technical.
As a rule of thumb I run small bores on my DB2 indoors and big bores on everything else.

Hope that helps.