Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 20-07-2014

Default Tamiya Mini 2wd m05 Setup Outdoor

Hi what springs and tyres and all that should i use for my tamiya mini m05 2wd
Old 20-07-2014

I have Tamiya #54000 shocks, with blue spring with 50wt oil in front, yellow with 40wt oil in back. 5mm front, 6mm in back.

I have CVD fitted. the diff are kit standard as per in manual.

I use standard kit tyres, but your club may use different tyres.
Old 21-07-2014

Depends on what tyres and diff you're allowed to run.

Tyres - if you're allowed to use Sweep pre-mounted tyres, use those - '25' compunds on the rer and '33' compounds on the front. They come in packs of 4, so you'll be buying two sets (1 lot of 25's and 1 lot of 33's) but they'll last you ages. Using Tamiya tyres are OK but they're not as good in the corners as the Sweeps although they'll give a higher top-end speed due to their larger diameter.

Diff - if you're allowed to use a different diff, then use one. The best in my view is the 3Racing Oil-Filled Gear Diff (#M06-06) with 5000wt oil in it. Failing that the Tamiya Manta-Ray ball diff (#53070) is very good too. The problem with the standard diff is it 'diffs out' all the time so you lose drive out of the corners. The two diffs I mentioned are great at getting the power down.

Other setup points - like Vrooom said, #54000 M-Chassis shocks are great, 50wt/40wt front to rear, 3 hole pistons front and rear. Blue springs front, yellow springs rear. Get the #53333 short spring set, this will let you get your ride height down low enough to get the correct ride height (you're looking to get the lower arms level with the ground).

If you haven't upgraded your steering from kit, then do that. The Yeah Racing aluminium steering set (#M05-042BU) for the M05 is great, ballraced and very strong. Also get a Hi-Torque servo saver (#51000), you need this to ensure the car goes where the servo points it, trust me.

The Tamiya front shock stay is very good too (#54236), it stands the shocks up at the front and stops the car pitching a lot on corner entry. It made it a lot easier to drive for me.

That's about it really, last thing to think about is to get rid of friction. Take out all of your bearings (you do have bearings in the wheel hubs I hope? If not, get some and throw away the bushings!) and then clean all the bearings with bearing blaster / brake cleaner. Then use some motor lube (really really thin oil) or 3-in-1 oil and put a couple of drops in each bearing. When you rebuild the gearbox, don't use any grease or anything, the car doesn't go quick enough to need it and it only creates more friction.

Hope this helps.
Old 21-07-2014

Default M05

TRF Shocks. Make sure you have those. From there I run TRF Short White Springs all round. Works a treat.
Old 21-07-2014

Thanks guys will see if it helps