Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > oOple Talk

Old 15-02-2008

Default TYRES

I will be racing on fresh grass with some bumps and wooden jumps.What i
woould like to know is I have the following tyres

1=sch mini spike yell for dry grass
2=sch mini spike green wet grass

now where do the new GRP cone spike and the ballistic mini spike pink&green fit into the above. And is it true that the GRPs are a better all round tyre.
THANKS,
MARTIN
Old 15-02-2008

hi
i found that the grp tyre has a really quick wear rate and they dont last long
hope this helps
Old 15-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan r View Post
hi
i found that the grp tyre has a really quick wear rate and they dont last long
hope this helps
In my experience I used GRP's for a whole day and it was nearly 8 complete runs before they lost grip, so although the spike wears down I think the tire still has good grip.
Old 15-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

the GRP tyre is good on grass and as said it keeps the grip levels better than yellows as the tyre wears. There might be a new compound out shortly on a par with sch green for wet weather.

BB greens are ok on grass but not as quick as sch yellow in the dry. They do work fairly well in the wet grass though. Pinks you wouldn't really use much unless the track is very bare and dusty.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 15-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BREEZER View Post
I will be racing on fresh grass with some bumps and wooden jumps.What i
woould like to know is I have the following tyres

1=sch mini spike yell for dry grass
2=sch mini spike green wet grass

now where do the new GRP cone spike and the ballistic mini spike pink&green fit into the above. And is it true that the GRPs are a better all round tyre.
THANKS,
MARTIN
GRP's should be an alternative to Yellows so good for Dry Grass
BB Green Spikes will be better on wet grass in most cases, i'd usually them on the rear with Sch Green mini's on the front - you should have more traction then with Green mini's all round anyway i'd say.

BB Pinks are good on some Astro tracks, and also good if the grass wears away so the track is almost dirt...
Old 15-02-2008
Super Moderator

I think the GRP's also work better in the transition between wet and dry, or just after a light shower.

I'm sure we've all been caught out on yellows in the damp, sometimes they are ok (usually if they are new), but are usually like being on ice!

G
Old 15-02-2008
#1 ZX5 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy View Post
I think the GRP's also work better in the transition between wet and dry, or just after a light shower.

I'm sure we've all been caught out on yellows in the damp, sometimes they are ok (usually if they are new), but are usually like being on ice!

G
I 100% defo agree on this as this happened to me at Batley last year. You know if you're in a run and as soon as a single drop of rain comes, with yellows the run is over and they become a nightmare. Well the Conespikes don't do that, they are like a green and stay with you in terms of grip and balance.

So they are faster than a green in the dry and miles faster than a yellow in the wet. Faster than a yellow in the dry or a green in the wet? More testing will be needed

Nortech is ACE!
Old 15-02-2008

With all the feed back on GRP Tyres, I wonder why they got deleted from Stotfolds preferd tyre choice for National.?? As I have been informed that this is the tyre they originally chose.

Lindsay
Old 15-02-2008

there were no sinister reasons, at Stotfold the choice was Schumacher yellows or greens, ballastics gave no advantage in any conditions and originally our intention was to specify a tyre that would work as an alternative, we had some limited testing of the GRP and found that it worked in the dry but was no better or worse than the schumacher, this we felt gave the racer an alternative, however with no wet compound in the GRP range there was no alternative if the track was wet. following discussions with the BRCA committee the options were to specify BB's which at least gave the racer two options for each weather scenario, we were also aware that we would be the only track specifying GRP for a national, we would have continued to spec that tyre if it was clearly better than the alternative, it wasn't so we decided to stick with BB's
Old 15-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelimages View Post
ballastics gave no advantage in any conditions
If BB's are worse than Schumachers in any condition then there is really no alternative to run Schumachers is there?

However, if Schumacher/GRP was chosen then there would have been a choice to be had in dry conditions and no choice in wet conditions, therefore this option would have given the most choice to the racers.

Or have I got this all wrong?
Old 15-02-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

I think schuamcher greens arent as good as BB greens in the wet on grass or astro. So i think ive got what tom is saying if they chose schuamcher and GRP there would only be schuamcher greens which means there is only one wet tyre which is okish but not great but with schuamcher and BB there are a good wet tyre and a good dry tyre.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 15-02-2008

Did you read my post Ash?

It was stated that BB's offered no advantage in any conditions, therefore Schumachers would be run in wet or dry.

However if GRP/Schumacher was chosen we would still run Schumachers in the wet, BUT the racers would have a choice of tire to run in the dry of GRP or Schumacher.

On a related note, is it confirmed that GRP are working on a wet compound? Also, is it confirmed Schumacher will have a NEW tire mould? As I feel both of these questions should have been asked before tire choices were made.
Old 15-02-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

Oh i get you i was talking in general about all tracks. I think your just talking abotu stotfold yes? if not ill just ge tmy coat and leave.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 15-02-2008

Ash, I'm talking about Stotfold as the original question was related to the tire selection for Stotfold National.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
With all the feed back on GRP Tyres, I wonder why they got deleted from Stotfolds preferd tyre choice for National.?? As I have been informed that this is the tyre they originally chose.
Old 15-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Having BB and schumy tires as the controls all the way through the National series is a good thing as it measns that drivers (and shops) attending only have to carry 4 types of tires (Schumy yellow / green BB green / pink) and it will cover all expected situations (option would be schumy blues I guess).

That means that for many people they can keep a full stock glued up, 2 and 4wd, new and worn with out having to stock a gazillion wheels / inserts bottles of glue.

If the alternative tires gave a significant advantage, enough to out weigh the issues some people would have getting wheels trackside etc., then I am sure we would see a wider variation on tire selection. Remember the not so good old days when we had to glue up 14 (18 if you thought you'd make the A) sets of BB pins for tivvy then the following month do nearly as many sets of Losi Sprints etc. for Kiddy ...... then the same again on schumy minis for a worn bone dry track that ripped them to bits in 4 mins ..... then again the next month when it was going to be different weather every 2nd run .... oh the fun ..... for the bank managers. A nightmare for budget concious racers and shop stocks alike!

I personally think where we have ended up today is a great palce to be .... can't believe that some regions don't run control tires .... seems crazy to me!!

If the GRP tires prove to be the better option then I expect to see them as controls for next year for some venues and look forward to using them .. their 1/8th tires are awesome.

On the other hand people have to think about BB and schumy who's tires are only really used in large quantities in the UK and specific parts of Europe ...... if these tires stopped being the control tires for these sort of events then think of the potential outcome. It wouldn't be long before it became financially non-viable for them to make the tires that WE (as a country) need. The result of that is production ending and us all having to try and get our brushless powered missiles round sopping wet long grass tracks on Losi / Proline tires ... now wouldn't that be "fun".

It's really the same argument as supporting the UK shops as if we don't where are we going to get spares from on a friday / saturday before a big event in a couple of years time.

Just my 2p worth.
Old 15-02-2008

On the GRP site there are 3 compounds for conespikes, in the UK atm we only have the 'hard' not sure whether other countries have the soft compound yet or not
Old 15-02-2008

Roger, having just returned to 1/10th Off-Road you have missed the disgrace that was Schumacher yellows last season. As I have stated in another thread tires would rip apart in use and come with poorly moulded spikes from new. We had batches of 4wd fronts with very thin side walls. Their quality was nothing short of shocking. Suddenly GRP appear and Schumacher decide to pull their finger out and apparently are making a new mould. If GRP had not taken a chance at making a rival tire then we may have still had the poor Schumache tires.

Having BB and schumy tires as the controls all the way through the National series is a good thing as it measns that drivers (and shops) attending only have to carry 4 types of tires (Schumy yellow / green BB green / pink) and it will cover all expected situations (option would be schumy blues I guess).

Why not just have one control tire, would make things even easier? I class the BRCA Nationals as one of the best series in the world, why not give our racers a chance to perform using the best available tires.

If, as stated in another thread Schumacher make a new tire mould, whose going to buy the old, poorly moulded tires. This WILL screw the shops over, unless Schumacher replace them.

If the GRP tires prove to be the better option then I expect to see them as controls for next year for some venues and look forward to using them

It seems that they were better than BB's in the dry for Stotfold but were still not chosen, seemingly for an unknown reason, as BB's are not the best choice in any condition.

Now we have a stiution whereby it would seem the obvious choice to allow GRP/Schumacher for a national. This would be the last national of the year so plenty of time to test the GRP's for drivers that have never used them, or they could just stick to what they know. Why not give the tires a shot and see what happens? If they were no good, at least we still have the best choice for any condition available.

If the alternative tires gave a significant advantage

Is giving the racer's a choice not an advantage?

On the other hand people have to think about BB and schumy who's tires are only really used in large quantities in the UK and specific parts of Europe ...... if these tires stopped being the control tires for these sort of events then think of the potential outcome. It wouldn't be long before it became financially non-viable for them to make the tires that WE (as a country) need. The result of that is production ending and us all having to try and get our brushless powered missiles round sopping wet long grass tracks on Losi / Proline tires ... now wouldn't that be "fun".

They would only go out of business from competition, which means there must be a superior product on the market, so no I don't think we will be left with Losi/Proline as the only option.

If we continue to not allow another company to add competition to the market by having BB/Schumacher control tires at regionals & nationals we will just return to the situation last year with very poor tires I would rather embrace the new tires and give them a fair shot.
Old 15-02-2008
Super Moderator

Stop flirting you guys and get a room!

G
Old 15-02-2008
Mad Member

I thought it was the clubs that choose the controlled tyre for nationals ?

So why has nobody chosen GRP's ?

But i could be talking out my a**e and the control tyre is chosen by somebody other than the clubs.
Old 16-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Tom,

everything you say is a good point. A few years ago I would have agreed with you as I wasn't a fan of the control tire rule when it first came in to force ..... now I am a total convert, even more so after racing rallycross nationals where tires are free choice ........ a cloud comes over head and everybody is rushing to the shops for another set of boots .... sun comes out hot and the stampeed happens all over again! I set my own control tires, by special consultation of my wallet, and only ran 3 types .... on of which was a GRP which performed brilliantly in most conditions.

After being reminded what a pain it is to carry 3 haulers full of tires around "on the off chance" whilst pitting with a firend at 1/8th nats I really don't want to go there again ........ for that reason alone a control tire rule is great .... from the point of view cost it's even better.

I hear what your saying about schumy tires quality, Dom @ DC Racing and Brian Preddy have told me at length what they have seen and it does sound shocking. The customers would / will drive that change anyway by moving away from the tire to the alternative and I am sure that the BRCA guys had a word in Scumy's ear about picking up quality before it allowed them through as a control tire. It's not the sort of thing that would have escaped their attention!!
From that point I agree with you 100% ...... whilst it is still great to support "local" business if their service is rubbish then you can't justify it. Sure Schumacher realise that too and this seasons tires will be better ... hopefully.