Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 14-01-2012

Default Track Spec's (indoor dirt track, 1/10th-1/16th)

Hey, im sure you get quite alot of these, quite often but im going to ask anyways.

I may be able to get use of a warehouse approx 150sqm in size (family own it but it empty atm).

Im looking at building a indoor dirt track for my 1/16th Off Road buggy's and possibly 1/10th (depending on size needed). My first plan is to build it for use for myself and friends but i could open it up in the distant future, depending on intrest.

(Bit about myself) I work in the building trade, so getting materials and actually building the track wont be a problem and i do have friends who run building merchants so materials can be cheap.

The questions i have are:

What is a good size track for 1/10th-1/16th (width/length) and could i get it in a 150sqm area.
What is the best type of dirt/clay combo to use.
Would there be intrest around the Heathrow area for a indoor track around summer/late summer time?

Once again this is all provisional that i actually get use of the unit.

Thanks
Old 14-01-2012
Mad Member

I think there would be interest around the Heathrow area, West London, there are indoor tracks & outside not far, Taplow, Farnham, Watford = a good body of racers in the area.

Tony Truman ran PDA in Bicester see: http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93

or google Proline Dirt Arena to find youtube stuff. I am sure if you pm him (Teddy Truman) he can give you advice, I would be tempted to pm Lee Martin as well, helped set up PDA and dirt practice would appeal to him, he's just up the M4 (both busy this weekend at area 51)

Tyres on 10th would be proline hole shots or something American.
PDA was soil/clay damped down, not dusty and good to race on. DO IT

Edit: 'What is a good size track for 1/10th-1/16th (width/length) and could i get it in a 150sqm area' I think that's the question that needs looking at, difficult to visualise, track needs to be over 2meters wide, ideal 3 meters, spots for marshals etc
Old 14-01-2012

That's an excellent idea.I work for a Demolition/Haulage contractor in London so could get hold of some cheap muck/Clay/dirt for you if you want!
Old 14-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJC View Post
I think there would be interest around the Heathrow area, West London, there are indoor tracks & outside not far, Taplow, Farnham, Watford = a good body of racers in the area.

Tony Truman ran PDA in Bicester see: http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93

or google Proline Dirt Arena to find youtube stuff. I am sure if you pm him (Teddy Truman) he can give you advice, I would be tempted to pm Lee Martin as well, helped set up PDA and dirt practice would appeal to him, he's just up the M4 (both busy this weekend at area 51)

Tyres on 10th would be proline hole shots or something American.
PDA was soil/clay damped down, not dusty and good to race on. DO IT

Edit: 'What is a good size track for 1/10th-1/16th (width/length) and could i get it in a 150sqm area' I think that's the question that needs looking at, difficult to visualise, track needs to be over 2meters wide, ideal 3 meters, spots for marshals etc
Thanks for the reply. Ill have to map it out at home and do a rough sketch. Do you know roughly how long the track has to be and i can start drawigs.

I always get to eager to quickly
Old 14-01-2012
Mad Member

1:10th national tracks are about 35m long by 25m wide...as a rough average. Minimum track width is 2.5m I think, although someone maybe able to clarify that.

1:16th national tracks are about 24m x 12m wide but width depends on the space available. Minimum track width is 2m, although wider is better if you can fit it in.

I'm not from that area....but good luck!!!
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 15-01-2012
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Minimum 1/10 track width to be BRCA legal is 3m.

Don't forget you need a specific type of clay for a track... It's not cheap!
Old 15-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
Minimum 1/10 track width to be BRCA legal is 3m.

Don't forget you need a specific type of clay for a track... It's not cheap!
Thanks guys, like i said orginally this is all going to be made for myself and friends to start with, majorr alterations could come at later dates.

Also thanks for the widths.

What clay is needed? i was tbh thinking of a compacted dirt track, with a dirt/clay mix for jumps and banks
Old 15-01-2012
Awesome Admin

I've no idea.
Speak to the guys previously mentioned. As far as I'm aware they are the only people in the country to have done this.
Old 15-01-2012
Mad Member

I am thinking you could 'blue peter' a quick model into a box with some damp soil/clay, give you a idea, bumps/jumps etc. Up the wall 'wall of death' can extend the track and not take up space.

Just knocking it up full size and running with friends is no problem, inviting drivers to a meeting has other considerations, parking and toilets, insurance, planning, and who knows what else.
Old 15-01-2012

I can get hold of the purest of London clay dug from the many ongoing basements digs in central London.This would be the perfect material. I could definitively pull some strings to get it there for next to nothing. As long as there is head room to tip inside the warehouse because tipping outside and moving it in will add cost, the biggest expense then would be the mini diggers and labour needed to deal with it all and the eventual clearance cost when your Family decide they want the space back!
Old 15-01-2012
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowey View Post
This would be the perfect material.
Is this what they use all round the world for clay tracks?
Old 15-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJC View Post
Just knocking it up full size and running with friends is no problem, inviting drivers to a meeting has other considerations, parking and toilets, insurance, planning, and who knows what else.
Parking there is room for around 40 odd cars, toilets and electricity is there.

Insurance is still a grey area, but i believe that BRCA membership covers nearly everything there. So could only use the track with BRCA membership of if they sign a disclaimer

Everything else i will look into when needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowey
I can get hold of the purest of London clay dug from the many ongoing basements digs in central London.This would be the perfect material. I could definitively pull some strings to get it there for next to nothing. As long as there is head room to tip inside the warehouse because tipping outside and moving it in will add cost, the biggest expense then would be the mini diggers and labour needed to deal with it all and the eventual clearance cost when your Family decide they want the space back
Thanks i will bare you in mind if/when it ever comes together
Old 15-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
Is this what they use all round the world for clay tracks?
They will just use what ever is most commercially viable in their vicinity. There is no 'special RC track' grade.
Old 15-01-2012
Mad Member

Trucks leaving from West London all the time heading for RC tracks in California full of clay hand crafted from under mansions by Polish artisans.
Old 16-01-2012

An indoor dirt track would do well. It seems you have a good location. It's a good idea to think this right through as doing it for your mates is great, but you don't want to put a lot of efffort in and find it's not suitable if you decide to hold bigger meetings. Probably the biggest thing is getting the right dirt. It has to have a good bit of clay in the dirt so it holds together, if it brakes up easily this would not be good. The clay Snowey is offering sounds good to me, if he is a contractor he would know what the clay/dirt is like he is offering you. But as most things, you won't know till you try it!

There are many racers here in the UK including all most all the top guys that would really want a indoor permanent dirt/clay track!!!

Good luck and keep us all in oOple land informed on your progreess!!!

Dc
Old 16-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDomination.com View Post
An indoor dirt track would do well. It seems you have a good location. It's a good idea to think this right through as doing it for your mates is great, but you don't want to put a lot of efffort in and find it's not suitable if you decide to hold bigger meetings. Probably the biggest thing is getting the right dirt. It has to have a good bit of clay in the dirt so it holds together, if it brakes up easily this would not be good. The clay Snowey is offering sounds good to me, if he is a contractor he would know what the clay/dirt is like he is offering you. But as most things, you won't know till you try it!

There are many racers here in the UK including all most all the top guys that would really want a indoor permanent dirt/clay track!!!

Good luck and keep us all in oOple land informed on your progreess!!!

Dc
Thanks.

Well i work outside (im a garden fencer) so i can easily get my hands of small amounts of clay and dirt/topsoil so i can mock some stuff together to try and figure out mixtures. Damping down before races wont be a problem either as i could run a type of sprinkler system just from the indoor hose pipe points. (garden moveable sprinklers which wont soak but should in theory just damp it down.

Im going to speak to my family tonight or tomorrow night and mention the amount of intrest and ill also try and get exact measurements and pictures.

Getting ahead of myself, but if (not saying it will) becomes popular there is also a adjacent unit which is empty with just a stud wall in the way with a further 100sqm of space, so could potentionally (once again if it all works fine have 250sqm space which would be easily be enough)
Old 16-01-2012

PDA was 500sq m
please read your PM
to build Nat type track it will be around 750 sq m
Old 16-01-2012

Happy to help if some is needed, i like the idea thats being proposed, a pictures of the warehouse so we can guage your concept and are there any shops/facilitys near by too?

jK
Old 16-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRU View Post
PDA was 500sq m
please read your PM
to build Nat type track it will be around 750 sq m
Ive got your pm and will reply to it later when im not on my phone can do some research into some of your advice.

Facilty's wise there is 1xpub 2xtescos 2xgarage 1xfishnchips within walking distance (notice i mentioned the pub first)
Old 16-01-2012
Mad Member

150 sqm is small.

Assuming that is for the whole track area (and not to include pitting), and assuming it is a regular shape of 15x10m, you should be able to get a usable micro track in there, but it would be a very tight 10th track.

It wouldn't be up to BRCA national standard for 1/10th, no way near it. I don't know whether the micro section has track size rules. But there are clubs up and down the country that run on tracks that size week-in-week-out.

2m lanes are OK for 10th off-road, 2.4m is better.

Funnily enough someone sent me this link the other day - http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_8590909_bu...-rc-track.html - it is a guide do building an american-style indoor dirt track. Not sure how accurate it is.

PS Although a lot of people get excited about American style tracks, my gut feeling is that most UK racers actually prefer a good old UK-style multi-surface indoor track without all the big-air features (you couldn't have big air in 150sqm anyway). Its what all our cars and tyres and driving styles are suited to. It's probably cheaper to build and easier to remove as well.

Last edited by sosidge; 16-01-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: More info