Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 07-12-2009

Default 3 gear tranny in squared?

Is it possible to mount the old tranny in my squared? I find no good pictures of the first version.
I see i have to drill holes for the motor plate support. Anything more?
Old 07-12-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio

Let me have the honour of being the first to ask "Why would you want to?"

I've no idea if it's possible, so I appreciate I'm not contributing to your thread but I am intrigued where you are going with this, it seems a massively backward step.
Old 07-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolio View Post
Let me have the honour of being the first to ask "Why would you want to?"
Somehow i knew that question would pop up... And the answer is, don't ask

The reason is simple. I want to try with the motor rotating mass spinning the other way. We are 3 X6 drivers in sweden, and have problems with to much rear grip on carpet.
Old 07-12-2009
Mad Member

I'm fairly sure it's just the motor mount holes...that was the only thing you needed change to go from 3 gear to 4 gear.

The other geometry differences from squared to original were in the wishbones and shock tower.
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 07-12-2009
Mad Member

Almost that simple, but not quite.

When we made the 4-Gear, we also converted from the original one-piece molded shock tower to the bulkhead & CF tower. The only real problem with the molded tower is that it is weak where the tranny bolts go, so the bulkhead is .030" thicker there.

On the 3-gear, the four tranny mounting tabs are level but on the 4-Gear the two rear tabs are .030" higher than the front tabs. With the 4-Gear and the bulkhead, you therefore use the same amount of tranny shims under all four tabs.

However, if you will use the 3-gear with the bulkhead, or the 4-Gear with the original molded tower, you must shim differently under the front and rear tabs by .030" to compensate. If 3-gear w/ bulkhead, extra under the front tabs. If 4-Gear w/molded tower, extra under rear tabs.

Otherwise, yes, you can use all the mentioned parts interchangeably. We have a template for drilling the two holes in the original chassis to convert it from 3-gear to 4, and I think it will work in the Squared chassis to convert it to 3-gear. The template was part of the old 4-Gear Upgrade Kits, and we will be happy to mail you one free. Why you want to give up traction is a mystery to me. Keep the traction and do some set-up work...

B.T.W., the arms & towers are NOT interchangeable. The Squared arms, #3012, must be used with the Squared tower, #3313. Original arms, #3010 must be used either with the original molded tower, #3310, or with the original CF tower, #3311. The original CF tower, #3311, fits with the bulkhead, #1310, which is used now in all X-Cars. We have all the old parts in stock, and I think D.M.S. does as well.

I hope that is not nearly as confusing as I think it is...

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 07-12-2009

Wow, that was an answer Chazz!

Believe me, we have tried all kinds of set ups, the car ain't bad, but the rotating mass keeps the rear down and genarating grip. We have talked alot about this on races. One guy is racing his home made RB5 Mid, (can be seen in the "I made this" section), his motor is the other way around, and have blistering speed exiting corners. Of course it's not right to compare 2 different cars, but one reason could be the motor pushes the front down more on on power.
It would just be an interesting thing to try. Outdoors i would not run a 3 gear tranny.