Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 09-10-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Default Computer help needed please!!

The old dears computer is rather slow and believe it is more the Hard Drive than the pc so was contemplating upgrading it to an SSD. Right, here is the issue, being that it is a HP computer, it has the restore partition on the main drive, I don't want to have to buy a new Windows disk for her to, so would want to copy over the hidden partition over to the SSD and do a fresh installation. That's where I need help, how do I do it?
Old 09-10-2012
Mad Member

As long as you have the key code (on the COA sticker thingy) that came with the copy of windows you, have reinstalling it on a new drive is no prob...and will be better too!
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 09-10-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

could you install the original HDD as a slave and leave the SSD fresh and uncluttered?

I have my original 500gb HDD as the slave and a 256gb SSD as my main drive in my laptop (Optical drive has been relocated into external USB caddy). My photos, music and downloads folder remain on the HDD and then everything else goes onto the SSD. That way the larger files which aren't as vital remain off the SSD leaving it to do what it does best.

If I'm working on anything I'll put it onto the SSD to let it shine.
Old 09-10-2012

What to do with the old HD isn't an issue, getting the fresh install from the locked partition to the SSD is harder....

Andy, I would need to 'source' a Windows Vista Basic disc to do that though?
Old 09-10-2012
oOple Advertiser

When looking for an SSD check to see what they are supplied with. I believe that some of the crucial drives for example come with installation kits which includes disk copy software and the appropriate cables.
Old 09-10-2012
Mad Member

Hidden partition may also contain drivers, Hp may supply you with a set of discs, is it a laptop.

You can possibly find disc with Vista on, you have the product code - should be good to go and windows will find most of the drivers.
Old 09-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan - South West RC View Post
When looking for an SSD check to see what they are supplied with. I believe that some of the crucial drives for example come with installation kits which includes disk copy software and the appropriate cables.
Thanks, I will have a chat with Novatech tomorrow if I got time.

It isn't a laptop, it is a desktop PC, no driver disks as they are on the hidden partition.
Old 09-10-2012
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

Can you not "make" a set of recovery disks?? I know a couple of machines we've had in the family have had a utility on them to allow you to make a set of recovery CDs / DVDs.

Failing that, you should in theory be able to download windows, you certainly can download Win7 ISO's perfectly legitimately as long as you have the key.
Old 09-10-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

HP's with Vista on all let you make a set of recovery DVD's, so either make them, put the SSD in blank and run them. Or clone the recovery partition from the old drive to the SSD with Acronis, then run the recovery from the SSD.

The recovery DVD's are the best option, although if you're still running a machine that came with Vista I'd save your money to put toward a new one. Just run the recovery on it as-is, you'll probably find it'll be loads quicker once you've removed all the preinstalled nonsense HP like to install!
Old 09-10-2012

Cheers Rich, did a factory reset about 18months ago but the hdd is just dog slow. As me mum only really plays cards and a little Internet she cant justify a new system, but a new drive would be fine, she could even get away with a 64g ssd.

Was contemplating a win8 upgrade as it should run lighter on resources.
Old 10-10-2012
Mad Member

Acronis true image, top programme, will do a clone of your original drive to another drive, I clone my drive in case It ever gets corrupt or fails, then I just swap the drives over and re clone the new one,