Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 02-01-2013

Default New Team Associated 2WD - discuss

So it seems there are many C4.1's on the forum up for sale. There is also more and more talk on the US Forums filtering through.

Europe is undeniably a huge market for the RC Industry, in particular the UK where mid motor designs are in huge demand on the high grip surfaces provided.

Kyosho have done it, Losi, Team Durango, Schumacher. It must be only a matter of time now. It wont help to debut it at the World's as it most certainly won't be useful on dirt so maybe it is to be held off until after?

What would we like to see from AE, a platform based on the Ultra Successful molded B4 design, a new molded design or a completely new carbon based platform. (Think DB1 for example).

Cheers!
Old 02-01-2013

With schumacher its two cars, sv2 and svr. B5r and B5m? B5 US and B5 EU?
Old 02-01-2013

Not carbon anyway...having started out with a tub chassis RC10 I prefer alloy and I think with cars like the Durango and RB6 it is easier to make changes to the design of individual chassis parts instead of making a new expensive mould to change the entire thing.
Personally I would prefer 2 cars, dedicated rear and mid motor sharing common parts where practical but not a compromised design to satisfy both.
Old 02-01-2013

I would like to see a Vega style chassis but made from composite.
Im sure it will borrow ideas from the other cars on the market such as the Losi 22, DEX210 and RB6.
Old 02-01-2013
Mad Member

So is this a stronger rumour than the previous ones? Had a quick google and could not find anything much more than the ones asking what people would like to see in a new AE 2wd. Any links or pointers??

Really, really bored first day back at work

Cheers

Rob
Yokomo YZ4 SF2
Old 02-01-2013
Administrator

I've spoken to team drivers who've been asking AE for a while - and afaik they have had the c4.1 in the USA to look at, so maybe it'll happen.
Old 02-01-2013
Mad Member

Maybe that is why the centro molded gear cases have never arrived - not worth doing if an AE mid motor is on its way?

Anyway a good bit of rumour spreading is always a good way to start the year

Rob
Yokomo YZ4 SF2
Old 02-01-2013
Mad Member

I'd say it's a when not an if...no company would plan to stand still in a market this competitive, especially a brand which is still very much trying to be at the sharp end...and lets face it...the B4 is not at the sharp end on any high grip surfaces these days.

Every other major manufacturer now has a rear and mid motor car of some sort, so to think AE won't do the same is probably now very unlikely!

I've obviously got no idea if they are actively working it as well speak, but would be very surprised if they aren't.

IMO A plastic chassis version of the centro would be ideal, so a moulded chassis that's not over stiff (but won't tweak!) with mid and rear motor config's would get my vote....and keeping it simple and pure like the B4 and B44 cars have always been. I wouldn't mind at all if it was a separate car/chassis for each, but I think in a battle for value for money versus other manufacturers they'd probably go down the swappable route like Durango/Losi/Kyosho/Yokomo!

Looking forward to seeing it....whenever it might be
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 02-01-2013

I would quite like to see a mid motor factory team kit! the B4.1 is still rocking on clay and such like so cant see them going from that to far tbh
Old 02-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I suspect the imminent B4.2 revision will just include the big bore shocks and adapters/towers to make them fit properly, hex wheels and the VTS slipper. Oh yeah a J concepts body too.
The B4.1 platform is still super competitive in the US rear motor only market.

I'd love to see a new mid motor plastic chassis kit, and I suspect a move to metric would be useful. I doubt we'll see it until after the worlds though?
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 02-01-2013

It did not take Yokomo a long time to make a mid and rear motor with moulded chassis...
Old 02-01-2013

Cant see the point of a new B5. the b4 is still a great car on us tracks.

There isn't much point there being a mid conversion as CML and centro are already there and have produced a great car from the b4 which is good on the uk tracks.

If Associated were to produce a mid motor car it would have to be better than the C4, otherwise i don't see there would be any point to it.
Old 02-01-2013

The centro isnt a real solution. Might be a good car but buying a B4.1 and the centro conversion is expensive and Associated always wanted to provide an affordable car that works out of the box. You need the centro kit and springs etc. this cant be the solution associated wants.
Hope they will take their time and test cars like the Team C TM2 and bring out two cars; carpet and dirt.
The mid and rear in one kit sounds good but you will end up with buying two cars if you race both carpet and dirt.
At least I wonder why the B44.2 is already there and the B4.2 isnt... so I expect more new parts than the B44.2 had.
Old 02-01-2013

The B4 is todays answer to the Lotus 72
Old 03-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burty248 View Post
Cant see the point of a new B5. the b4 is still a great car on us tracks.

There isn't much point there being a mid conversion as CML and centro are already there and have produced a great car from the b4 which is good on the uk tracks.

If Associated were to produce a mid motor car it would have to be better than the C4, otherwise i don't see there would be any point to it.
I totally agree. Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon and selling their Centros with the rumours of this new car.

Has anyone actually heard or seen anything? Also, if it does'nt appear til after the Worlds, what are these people gonna use til then? That is, if thats the reason they are selling them?

Who is to say it will be a better car than the centro? It's a great handling car with one drawback being the chassis.

Lastly, price wise they are gonna have to be competitive. You can buy the new Yokomo 2WD for the same price as a B4.1 Worlds kit and you can be sure that quality wise, the Yok will piss over the Associated.
Reedy

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63097
Old 03-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discothesnake View Post
I totally agree. Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon and selling their Centros with the rumours of this new car.

I dont think that is the case. Maybe they arnt upto what people expect??? Try a proper car SV2

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 03-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
...selling their Centros with the rumours of this new car.
Not sure that's the reason either...like you said, I'd only be selling once I could actually buy the new car!

People like new toys...there are so many options of new cars to choose from since this time last year (when people were selling other cars to buy Centro's) that it's no wonder really....I reckon it's just all part of the annual cycle

When it comes it'll happen suddenly...think Losi 22...that came from nowhere pretty much, the "B5" will be no different. I just can't see how they wouldn't be working on one by now. The rear motor concept won't move on much I don't think given the continued success of the B4 platform either, unless they have magically/cleverly come up with something new there too...but the addition of Mid motor somehow could easily warrant the B5 name!
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 03-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgreen View Post
Try a proper car SV2

HAHAHAHAHA....the car that pretty much just copied the Centro to try and keep up...
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 03-01-2013

Quote:
I totally agree. Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon and selling their Centros with the rumours of this new car..
I'm selling mine as I prefer the feel of my Durango compared to the Centro. I find it hard to get going on bumpier tracks due to the shocks and the lack of droop the arms give compared to the easy to adjust dex210. It's a good car on smooth tracks though and I had a good season with it last year after I bought it as a stop gap while I sorted out the issues with my 210.

If there was to be a proper ae backed "centro" with optional layouts etc then I'd consider it again but with the prospect of some dirt racing in the uk this year the option to swap rather than have two cars is better for me
AE B74
AE T6.1
AE SC6.1

Kits and parts supplied by:
http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/[/size]

My Feedback thread: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...945#post691945
Old 03-01-2013

Maybe the options now of only having one car which is changeable between layouts as opposed to owning two expensive cars (or the centro way or even worse the DB1 way of buying multiple donors at HUGE costs) could be driving the sale of the cars.

I personally would dislike to see a stand alone new car from AE, either mid or rear, that isnt interchangeable. I dont think it is particularly necessary to own 2 different config cars anymore, we have the technology so to speak ..

I would like to see a molded chassis, not necessarily the Losi, Durango or Kyosho way with alloy, but in reality, it seems to be the trend right now.