Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 04-03-2010

Default Is 1:10 Off Road Still a Non Contact Sport

Is 1:10 Off road racing still a non contact sport. In the late 80 and early 90s I would say yes.

But now with brushless systems and Lipo's is this still the case with all car's being very fast. And how many drivers still know that It is a non contact sport.

Please note I have not added this post to slag people off but to see how many people are aware that 1:10 off road racing was and still should be as much as possible non contact.

Old 04-03-2010

Your point is well made but I have been racing for 26 years and not noticed any more contact now than before.
Old 04-03-2010

what a random post

MB Models....Team Durango....Telsshells....韦恩是一个无线电遥控赛车上帝,克雷格是同性恋
Old 04-03-2010

Rubbing is racing

It seems to be pretty much encouraged with the SC trucks!!
Associated B4RS (Spek, Castle MM/5700KV, Lipo)
Associated SC10 (Spek, Novak/8.5 Turnigy, Lipo)
www.ddgraphics.co.uk
Old 05-03-2010
Mad Member

The SC trucks have a rulebook of their own for contact...that's for sure!!!

I've only been racing a few years and would def say the intention is non contact, and I've not thought otherwise.
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 05-03-2010
#1 ZX5 fan

I don't think the intent has ever changed, what has changed seemingly is the unwritten gentlemans agreement that if you take someone out you stop, wait for them to be marshalled and then go. This used to be the norm, now it is the extreme exception.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 05-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by super__dan View Post
I don't think the intent has ever changed, what has changed seemingly is the unwritten gentlemans agreement that if you take someone out you stop, wait for them to be marshalled and then go. This used to be the norm, now it is the extreme exception.
nowadays tho people seem to take you out deliberatly so no point in them stopping as was the norm when i first started in the early ninties
you mite get them shout sorry if you are lucky but very rare 4 them to wait for you unfortunatly people only seem interested in winning these days and dont want to just take part anymore win at all costs
Old 05-03-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Maybe it's just me, but reffing of races seems more prevalent these days than it used to be, is that down to the lack of gentlemen racers?
Old 05-03-2010

As the head referee for 2010 i would like to point out that "rubbing is racing" is down to my interpretation, one mans perfectly executed move is anothers take out.

in all seriousness if you have any questions about what is and isnt the done thing please ask, if it is a question about rules then there will be a delay in answering as i need to check!!.

also remember that i will get the odd call wrong during the season but as it says in the rules "the head referee's decision is final and cannot be protested" which means i am never wrong!
Old 05-03-2010

Ok ive got a few questions as im new to off rd and RC in general to be honest.

If somone says crashes and lands on another part of the track should they continue were they are but allow people back through (Quali or race) and if you crash and the marshall takes a while to get you should you cut track to get back to were you were (seen this at a club once, I wouldnt do it) The way I do things is if i take somone out and I feel its my fault I wait for them to get back to me quali or race is this right?? also if i crash and land on another part of track but cant get to were i should be and ive gained no places i still drive slow till I feel ive left enough time to justify, should i just wait for a marshal??

Also whats the score with people racing in quali? This anoys me so much but should race control say somthing or is it all game?

I know alot of this is open to interperation...

Chris

XRAY
Tecnopower
AKA
AMMO Fuel
HUDY
RC Disco
Old 05-03-2010

Default chris griffith answer 1

Chris thanks for the questions.

first one. if you crash and end up on a different part of the track or by mistake a marshall places you there then you will do the following, (1). attempt to rejoin the track where you left. this is not always possible depending on track markings, impeding other cars on the rejoin etc. So if you cannot do (1) then (2) wait keeping clear of the racing line, allow all the cars that were in front of you to pass and then impose a delay on yourself to account for your crash, then carry on. if i as the referee see the incident and have time i will call the wait and tell you to go, should you go earlier than i think then i will give you a "stop go penalty" to account for any advantage i believe you have made.

the common problems i have seen is the racer realises that he will lose more time by rejoining than if he waits, however if I believe that it is possible to rejoin where leaving then again a penalty will be issued to account for that "gain".
another issue is that if he was two car lengths behind a car then he should rejoin the same distance behind it. however in reality had he crashed and not left the track he would have restarted considerably further back than two car lengths, which is where the self imposed delay comes.

another issue, you are hit by another car causing you to crash, so you rejoin but do not wait because you believe the crash was not your fault and so you attempt to carry on in the same position. however it doesn't matter how the crash was caused, you take the delay or risk the penalty. i might not have seen the original incident but see you driving off so you get a penalty, i may well have seen the original incident which caused your crash and i might be lenient in how much time i give you to restart, as long as you make an attempt to impose a delay then i might let you go.
Old 05-03-2010

Would it not be better to wait all the time if you jump the track? Going over markings or trying to rejoin could cause you to crash again, but this time block the racing line, which would be worse for others? Would it not be best to just stop off line and impose the time limit on yourself, that way your crash can never impact on another persons racing?
Old 05-03-2010
Mad Member

btcc- none contact sport, mmmmmm ? LOL

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 05-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadeh View Post
Would it not be better to wait all the time if you jump the track? Going over markings or trying to rejoin could cause you to crash again, but this time block the racing line, which would be worse for others? Would it not be best to just stop off line and impose the time limit on yourself, that way your crash can never impact on another persons racing?
but this would depend on were you jump track? Like you may gain half the track at some points at formby so whats the peanlty? average lap is 18 sec so 9 sec? what if its a quarter, or 3 quarter? I think this would be too hard to judge etc. thats my personel view anyway. I think try to rejoin WHEN SAFE TO DO SO not in some great panic cos you crashed etc if this aint possible then as a last resort timed penalty to yourself

Chris

XRAY
Tecnopower
AKA
AMMO Fuel
HUDY
RC Disco
Old 05-03-2010
Super Moderator

IMHO, if you make a mistake and do not loose time from it - i.e. just sit and wait and rejoin in the position you were in, that is wrong. A mistake should cause you to loose time.

G
Old 05-03-2010

Default marshalls

marshalling badly carries the same penalties as driving badly, pay attention, put the sandwich mobile etc down, stop trying to get your mate/dad etc's attention, or you will lose that good time you have set. that said i cannot give you back time a marshall has lost for you, shouting abuse at the throbber whilst understandable will get you a penalty and irritate the fellow racers on the rostrum.

mind you the keystone kops effect as three marshalls run to your car and all stop at once believing the other marshall is going to get and then all three restart only to stop again is hilarous.

also amusing is the ultra pose marshall who effortlessly glides to your stricken car and using the one handed flick to right your car, whilst again effortless carrying on to clear the track without looking back, he then waits for the adulation of the watching spectators, only to find the car is still on its roof!!, use two hands and make sure its the right way up
Old 05-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadeh View Post
in the original answer i did state that rejoining where you crash is the number one option but there would be instances where this is not possible, your opinion that it was not practicable to rejoin isnt neccessarily my opinion and at the end of the day its mine that counts
Old 05-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy View Post
IMHO, if you make a mistake and do not loose time from it - i.e. just sit and wait and rejoin in the position you were in, that is wrong. A mistake should cause you to loose time.

G

quite right, however if the referee doesn't see it you can be sure either another official might, or the spectators will or more importantly the fellow racer who was just behind or in front most certainly will, he will tell me/the race director/his mates and anyone else who is listening that your a cheat!!.
Old 05-03-2010

We should have marshalls like at F1 were they do it all day.

All in favour

LOL!

Chris

just incase, im taking the mick!

XRAY
Tecnopower
AKA
AMMO Fuel
HUDY
RC Disco
Old 05-03-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*