Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 25-10-2012

Default Predator questions.

I'm looking for some info on predator chassis numbers and their years. I have what i think is mostly a 95 Pro, but it might be older with newer bits on it.

I've heard chassis numbers starts with the year it was made, but the chassis number on my tub is really hard to read and looks like it starts TT?

Does anyone know for sure how the chassis were numbered?
Old 25-10-2012

Funnily enough, I was talking with Peter Ellis about this a few weeks ago. He probably has the largest information base about them than anyone else anywhere. He goes under ' dynamite arrows' on here.

Common theory is that yes the early carbon tubbed cars had their numbers starting with the year of manufacture - so a first of the line '93 car would have a number beginning with a 3 and so on to 95 when the carbon tubers stopped being officially made.

However we have discovered some anomalies.... For example we have records of some carbon fibre chassis having numbers starting with 1 or 7, letters after the numbers, and 5-number or 6 numbers. Yours is the first ive heard of having letters before the numbers, but Peter may know otherwise.

We think that for example chassis starting with '1' may be the very early Team chassis race cars - there is a chap on o0ple that actually has one of these and is in a 3-page thread here somewhere. And i believe he was one of the very first team drivers that drove for TTech so that could be the answer there.

Chassis starting with 7 we think could be replacement chassis ( they did break...) or chassis that were released after they officially stopped production of them in '95.

I've never seen a chassis with letters before the numbers, but I actually have a early '93 chassis with the letter 's' after the numbers - never seen or heard of another like it.... so far. And it's no different whatsoever in dimensions than my '94 or '95 chassis, so we are both lost on that one.

I have seen comparable chassis with 6 numbers and starting with multiple 1's or 7's, and going by the style of writing on mine, yours are probably one of these as they look like T's when worn. If so, by the information we have found out, yours could be a early Team car or a replacement chassis with parts from '93 to '95 cars. Or even later inj moulded cars. Remember Predator and Predator XT's were gold anodised and '95 Pros and One's were blue anodised. Mostly....

Give Peter a pm, he's a helpful chap and might be able to answer your question better than myself.
Old 25-10-2012

I have an original XK98 (owned from new). It has no chassis number...
XRAY T1 - 3 years since it last ran
X10 - Ebay purchase
X11 - Ebay purchase and rebuild Project
DEX410 - 2 weeks since it last ran
Old 25-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I have an original XK98 (owned from new). It has no chassis number...
Only the early carbon-fibre cars had chassis numbers. Yours has an injection moulded chassis and therefore no chassis number
Old 25-10-2012
Mad Member

Stretch
I think only the carbon tubs were numbered
Not the plastic moulded type
Hth's
Old 25-10-2012

I suppose looking at it again it could be -111714- ? Never thought it could be a 1.
Old 25-10-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The X10's came with a carbon front wing support that was numbered, that's the only plastic chassis Pred with the numbering system I believe
Old 26-10-2012

I had heard that the earliest Predators were anodised gold, and the 95's blue. Mine is mostly blue except the prop shaft which has gold anodinsing near the front gearbox.

I've not done much with it since i bought it, just a new set of wheels really.

Paul.
Old 26-10-2012

Paul - thats a beaut!! All that carbon ..... I also like the mid 90s BTCC BMW-esque' paint scheme!

I briefly had this Predator in my possession - it belonged to Dez Chand (RIP) - I passed it to a fellow club member & vintage fan who is in the process of returning it back to its former glory as a wide-scale tourer (just trying to find a wide Pug 405 shell for it) As you can see it has a mixture of blue & gold parts, I understand that the original wide on-road version was denoted as an 'FTD' but I don't know if it was offered as a complete kit or if the towers & short shocks were part of a conversion kit. We think the number starts with a '3' but like yours its worn (& covered in tape goo) so difficult to be sure.

Old 26-10-2012

Looks fantastic! Got to love the old wide touring cars, be ace nowadays with Lipo/Brushless.......
Old 27-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyDan View Post
Paul - thats a beaut!! All that carbon ..... I also like the mid 90s BTCC BMW-esque' paint scheme!
Thanks Dan, i like the paint but the shell is cracked in various places. I'd love to find a new unpainted original, or even a nicely painted used one in better condition. Overall it's no where near perfect, but it looks like it's been a looked after racer. Just got to find a couple of niggly parts for it (one of the turnbuckles isn't original etc)

Paul.
Old 27-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyDan View Post
I briefly had this Predator in my possession - it belonged to Dez Chand (RIP) - I passed it to a fellow club member & vintage fan who is in the process of returning it back to its former glory as a wide-scale tourer (just trying to find a wide Pug 405 shell for it) As you can see it has a mixture of blue & gold parts, I understand that the original wide on-road version was denoted as an 'FTD' but I don't know if it was offered as a complete kit or if the towers & short shocks were part of a conversion kit.
The first Pred tourer was the 95 Tee, before the FTD came along. Not sure if they released a conversion kit as well, but wouldn't be suprised if they did - I just haven't got any advertising blurb on them, but Peter may well have. Dez's car looks to be a original Pred buggy upgraded and converted to touring car ( lots were back then ) if it does have a 3 at the start of the chassis number that would make the most sense.
Old 18-02-2013

I would say that it was an xt with a touring car shock towers and pro95 shocks and thin prop. you can see the front wing mount on the.nose cone