Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 16-05-2013
Mad Member

Default Avid b44.1 +8mm conversion with pics

My Avid chassis and +8mm conversion came today and I was very eager to get it installed.

Couple of minor setbacks due to rounded screws, but a quick trip to MB models had me well on my way.

The chassis looks really quality and comes with a pre cut stick on protector for underneath. It also comes with 2 weights that fit nice and low into milled holes, a delrin 3g and a metal 12g I believe.

The +8mm kit comprises of a rear top deck, +8mm dogbone, battery spacers and the b44.2 battery trays and quick release straps.

It all fit together perfectly and Im really happy with the result.

Some pics

I also made a couple of 8mm spacers from an old A arm to move the rear body mount forward. This allowed me to use my b44.1 body for the time being. (spotted a crack in rear shock tower too.... More money needs spending )

I think the body fits reasonably well, I just had to take a little away from the rear so It didnt catch the battery trays.

Lastly I also bought a 26g weight for the rear, this allowed me to keep the overall weight very close to my b44.1 weight (I use the 90g weight between the lipo's). The chassis is 55g heavier than the b44.2 carbon chassis.

So far I'm really happy with the result. Stay tuned for track testing at the Proline challenge this weekend

Thanks to Pdub racing for supplying the kit and a very speedy 3 day delivery time all the way from Ireland. Highly recommended.
Old 20-05-2013
Mad Member

Default First outing

Run the car at the Proline challenge this weekend. On the clay the car felt really balanced, jumped well and felt really predictable. If the car got out of shape in a fast bend or the rear end broke away it was also very forgiving. It allowed me to have clean and consistent runs while pushing the car quite hard.

Qualified 12th and finished 5th in the B. Much better than expected

I got chance to have a practice on the astro too, where I'm much more familiar with the track and surface. This is where I really noticed the difference the chassis had made. Here I could push much harder and carry a lot more speed through sweepers with confidence in what the car would do. The steering felt precise and nimble on the high grip astro and the car felt really safe and predictable. It was a pleasure to jump it too. Massive difference here in handling and in the confidence the car gave me.

Put 2 packs through the car on the astro and its never felt so good, I honestly feel like I'm driving a new car, best money I've spent on it.

For a b44.1 upgrade you wont be disappointed.

Any b44.2 users tried it?
Old 20-05-2013

Would be interested to see how it feels compared to mine. Can we swap for a few laps to compare? Well done on the dirt bud!
Reedy
DJ KIRKY
Old 20-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveproracing View Post
Would be interested to see how it feels compared to mine. Can we swap for a few laps to compare? Well done on the dirt bud!
Sure Steve, its really excellent. I'll be at batley on sunday bud.
Old 20-05-2013
Mad Member

Thought it would be rude to not include some action photo's!

Credits go to George Land from Horizon Hobbies UK. Thank you.

My car just wanted to fly flat everywhere, watching some of my friends struggle in the jumps, I felt like I was cheating

The car was awesome in the air and landings were also super smooth allowing me to get straight back on the throttle.

It was also really composed and easy to drive in the infield, allowing me to drive fast, while well within my abilities. *

Still got a smile on my face after an awesome weekend. Hats off to the RHR crew for a really well run meeting. Loved the rolling starts and bump ups too. Roll on invernational!

Thanks again to Mick B at P-dub racing for supplying the kit. http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=195
Old 21-05-2013

Did you run any of the weights in the car?
Old 21-05-2013
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Steven Forster
Question

Can you convert a B44 with this kit or does it have to be the .1 version ???

cheers

Ex Club Chairman

Visit our Face Book Page for address and to book in

https://www.facebook.com/groups/289589121226171/

http://www.neamotorsport.co.uk/
Old 21-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter24 View Post

cheers
Chassis comes on its own with a delrin and a brass weight, then there is an upgrade kit for b44 and 44.1 cars that includes rear top deck, rear dog bone, battery trays and straps. A std length body will fit with a bit of extra trimming at the rear and you need to space the rear mount away from the tower. I believe you would need to either run the vts slipper or the avid slipper with the extension piece they supply for plus 8mm cars. Danny's pics at the top of the page shows you everything it is no different for a '44

Hope this helps
Old 21-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter24 View Post

cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldy View Post
Chassis comes on its own with a delrin and a brass weight, then there is an upgrade kit for b44 and 44.1 cars that includes rear top deck, rear dog bone, battery trays and straps. A std length body will fit with a bit of extra trimming at the rear and you need to space the rear mount away from the tower. I believe you would need to either run the vts slipper or the avid slipper with the extension piece they supply for plus 8mm cars. Danny's pics at the top of the page shows you everything it is no different for a '44

Hope this helps
Dexter, I'm pretty sure the b44 will work with the conversion yes. The dimensions are all the same as the 44.1 so surely it will

Goldy, I used the 26g in the rear and the 12g in the front hole. Car felt dialled like this so I didnt test any other combinations. It was really nice to feed in to the sweeper and hairpin and broke the rear to pivot round it just went I wanted it to. Was a real pleasure to drive
Old 27-05-2013
Mad Member

Some further testing at Batley buggy club today. Car was far safer than before. Could push harder into the bumpy sweeper and took the jumps and bumps much better too. The rear could be slightly loose in the odd place so going to try with some 0.5 degree hubs soon to try get it a bit more planted.

Still using exact set up from indoors with old chassis too, so will be trying out a few other things while I wait for them to land.
Old 20-06-2013
Mad Member

Just a quick update if anyone finds this a bit loose on the rear. I put a set of racers edge 0.5 degree rear hubs on a couple of week ago and the back end is now dialled. Loving it. £17 quid posted from USA and arrived in under a week!